Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to buy an engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greasyman, Apr 27, 2021.

1. 31Apickup

31Apickup

A lot of people swapping small blocks out for LS engines to get bigger horsepower, keep an eye on Craigslist. I picked up a rebuilt, never run 327 last summer for $300, it has checked out good.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I agree(I've been very lucky indeed to have some decent parts contacts over the years)I just browsed the summit site , this "base long block " https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19355658/make/chevrolet, has a cam very close to the 327/350 hyd cam, and is $3,042.71( not in stock- of course). In my mind this is a great deal, and if I wasn't anal about having a sj 327 for my next project, I would consider this motor. I got a good deal on a 65 327 low perf block/crank/ 8 rods , but after I'm done at the machine shop( as other have said) and buy the trick flow "double hump" heads etc... I'm in for a lot more than the 3 grand for the gm long block I mentioned. I hope things work out for the OP .

3. OLD REK

OLD REK

I'm running a GM crate, Part # 12499529, 290HP/350 long bock assembly in my coupe and I could NOT be happier. For $3000 CDN (3 years ago), this brand new, Mexican-made, 4 bolt main block puts out more punch per buck than any other engine I've owned. I don't know how engine builders stay in business with these mills available. Buying it over the counter from a GM dealer put my mind at ease that everything was brand new.

chryslerfan55 and rbrewer like this.
  4. williebill

williebill

I hate to see how fast engine builders are disappearing.. I've known some impressive ones over the years, now gone or not building anymore. With non cookie cutter engines, it's hard to find someone trustworthy. At least it is for me.
    But I'm an optimist who just ordered a transmission rebuilding video, and a couple of Y-block building books are on the table beside my side of the bed.
    I fully expect to have to do both jobs over and over to get it right.
    Some of us need engine guys, not 1-800 guys.

5. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I guess I got lucky. I bought a $200 Craigslist 305 and it's been a good engine. Not what the seller told me, but still a good engine.

Gary

tractorguy likes this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

Running driving cars/ trucks are a good choice. Down side is you have to have the room to take the vehicle apart. Then, you have to figure how to discard the leftovers.
    Getting rid of something that rolls isn’t much of an issue, but if you live in an area that the vehicle can’t sit in the driveway while you are pulling the engine, etc out, best bet is just going out and hunting for what you need.

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ive never tried one, but Jasper has a line of performance engines.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

T-bucket? Seriously, how far and how many miles per year? Tubman, Blue 49, Budget36, and others have the answer, used.

9. In response to your craigslist question.
    I build my own motors and transmissions. I have done this all my life. Here is something that I learned early on. "Anything that you buy used needs to be rebuilt."

The Good Wrench motors and the Target motors are a good starting place. They are affordable and if going really fast is not your intention they are usually a solid runner. The thing to remember is that they are low compression motors. They will perk up with a mild cam (RV Cam?). Or of you are looking for a good platform to build a motor they can be built up and give you a good starting place.

10. Greasyman

Greasyman

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I ended up buying a new crate engine from a place in Green Bay Wi. One of those 350/265 jobbers that seem very popular, as recommended by Mr. 48 chev and others. There's a shortage of engines now, that's why I had to buy it there instead of here in the SF bay area.
    265 hp is going to be more than I'll ever need. The car will have 6.4 lbs for every hp, that's like having nearly 500 hp in a 3000 lb coupe, except my car has suspension that makes a Conestoga wagon's look high-tech.