Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 33 34 pickup fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35fordcoupe, Apr 28, 2021.

1. 35fordcoupe

35fordcoupe
    from Virginia

I bought these several years ago without question because they were available. They were advertised as 32. On telling the difference I'm seeing 32 has a different curve, different mounting holes and maybe the bump out in the front is deeper, but I don't have any reference point for any of those things.

One has a bolt though the outside edge for a bracket which I believe the 34 has, but I don't know exactly where the bolt would be on a 34 or whether this bolt was added on this fender.

What do I have?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

They look like 33/34's to me?

3. 35fordcoupe

35fordcoupe
    from Virginia

Thanks for the reply. What are you looking at to determine that?

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

The position of the holes to mount the fender, the width of the lower area where it bolts to the frame and the rear brace holes, I've never had a 32 PU fender with a brace. They may be early replacement fenders?

5. 35fordcoupe

35fordcoupe
    from Virginia

About how much wider is the bottom area on a 32 fender? Only one has a brace hole and the brace is aluminum so that's why I figured someone could have added it. There's also a lot of filler so there could still be a hole on the other one. It sounds like the mounting holes and lower area that mounts to the frame points to 33 34 anyway.

I don't have a bed. I'd like to get a nice aftermarket one with original style beads. If I were to use these rear fenders (which would still be better than fiberglass) will I run into issues lining up with the bead in the bed (assuming the bead is very close to original which is probably a big assumption). will I need to get a 33 34 style bed and shorten in front of the rear wheels?

I feel like I've heard 32 and 33 34 rears can be modified easily to fit each other, but have only just learned of a curvature difference which seems not as easy. Maybe its just a matter of attention to detail? I'll want it to fit well.

Thanks

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Where the fender bolts to the frame the 32 is 43.5 inches wide and on the 33/34 frame it is 44 inches wide. I'm a fan of the beds made by Mack Hils in Missouri. Pricey but nice. They may be 32 fenders with the brace added? Check out the pictures of the 32 and 33/34 fenders made by United Pacific.

7. 35fordcoupe

35fordcoupe
    from Virginia

Thanks for the tip on the bed. I guess I'll have to make sure what I can use for a bed first if these are 33/34 fenders.

UP only has one picture on each listing. Ebay sellers for UP show more pictures, but they look the same to me. Maybe the 32 has three holes together in the flange at the top? I don't know if that's a thing in the originals.

Anyone have more insight? Measurement of the width of the lower portion of the fender by the running board for either 32 or 33 34?

Thanks

8. My 32 PU rear fender measured from the frame mount surface to the out side edge of the fender where it curves ,and flattens is 11-1/8 inch measured flat across the running board.

9. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Where they mount to the frame-'32's have 3 holes,'33-'34 2 holes.Yours have been altered there.I agree with krylon32.33-34's.

10. 35fordcoupe

35fordcoupe
    from Virginia

Thanks guys.

These measure right at about 11" like Irishsteve's, but if they were altered there I guess they were put on a 32 previously.

I mentioned above fitting these to a bed if the curvature is supposed to be different between 32 and 33/34. Is the difference only in the tail below the bed or will I have issues matching the bead in a 32 bed side?

Thanks again.