Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The State of The Rodder's Journal - a note from Steve Coonan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRJ, Mar 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Special Ed

Special Ed

There is no question that Steve is a terrific photographer with a great eye. Years ago, he described to me that he had simply copied the reader-supported, bi-annual, successful business model (including the name) of The Surfer's Journal, with the blessing of it's publisher, Steve Pezman. It remains today as a thriving quality publication of the surf culture.

Apparently, Steve's business acumen is another story. About fifteen years ago he flew down from San Francisco for a few days so he could photograph my car for a feature story. I felt honored. He asked for my assistance, and I was able to locate and secure a location for him to shoot on super-short notice. Steve did show up, gear in hand, but without any film. Think about that.

Steve's "staff", Geoff Miles, still owes me about 12k for work that my shop and I performed on his roadster, that I'll never see. Lots of promises, but no $$$$. So yeah ... consider yourself lucky if all you got nicked for was a couple hundred bucks.

504640, Carter, Irish Mike and 7 others like this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Steve's "staff", Geoff Miles, still owes me about 12k for work that my shop and I performed on his roadster, that I'll never see. Lots of promises, but no $$$$. So yeah ... consider yourself lucky if all you got nicked for was a couple hundred bucks
    Were you promised 'ink', or was it just work on his roadster. I don't know Steve's ad rate, but when I photographed and wrote for Street Rodder many year ago a full page was worth $7,000. I included a friends shop in a series from which he got 7 pages of ink, that was 15 years ago and still gets customers from that article.
    So if it was 'shop work' yea you got screwed, if it was for ink, there are no promises, as even I have had work pulled and not used after hours of work.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

I sent you a PM. This isn't about me ... ;)

4. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

I’m a lifetime subscriber thanks to my loving wife . Thanks for the information and cash register honesty. I missed my RJ when I went to Cabo after getting the vaccine.
    Hopefully it will happen again
    Thanks Steve

saltracer219 likes this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn. Just rings true. Hope not, such an outstanding publication. And if true, it’s a safe bet that Steve is feeling plenty of personal financial pain. Damn.

Really hate it for all the TRJ family more so than for the rest of us. Hell, I’ve lost more than this on one poker hand more than once.

6. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Hell, anybody that has raced and blown up an engine has lost more than a lifetime subscription costs. We don’t bitch when we cause the waste and expense, we just like to complain when others cause us cost. Hot rod ding, go figure!

7. That's the truth of it. Perspective.
    I get it. Guys feel screwed. And from some of the posts, some guys may actually have been (suppliers, etc.). But everyone is glossing over the fact that Steve's business is crumbling/has crumbled so that they can gripe about losing a couple hundred. TRJ has been around for decades, they're not some fly by night that popped up, sucked a bunch of money and disappeared six months later.
    And calling a spade a spade, if a one time loss of $100, $200 or $500 to a magazine is what makes or breaks you... well, you have no business dumping money on magazines.
    (Queue the hate) :rolleyes:

8. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Well, then those that lost "just" a couple hundred bucks can send you their address, so you can send them the mere pittances of$100, $200 or $500? Doesn't seem like a lot of money to you. It won't "make your break you".

9. Right, that's exactly what I said. Get over yourself. :rolleyes:
    You can't get blood from a stone. If TRJ is done, they're done and no one is getting their money back, their product, a refund, etc.
    But to be as irate as some people are in this thread... To be so upset that your heart is pounding, your face is red, that you'd throw punches or make threats... over a magazine? Over a couple hundred bucks? Get a life.

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I haven't noticed any irate posters but I have noticed people who are frustrated by lack of communication, lack of product that they paid for as in a contract, the same formula every one uses to assuage the audience on how sorry they are and it won't happen again etc., and the apparently questionable practice of taking further monies for subscriptions and merchandise when the ship was sinking. That's a lot to get over...

11. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

It's not myself I'm concerned with. It just seems a little crass to tell the good folks on here to just "get over" losing hundreds of dollars.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You guys should chill, you’re going to get this thread shut down and no one will be able to get any information.

After all surely Steve will be coming back on with another update.

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Now that's funny! LOL

14. Sean Smith

Sean Smith

The fact is that TRJ started this thread stating what the situation is (was then) and what their next move going forward would be, non of which has materialised as of today

chryslerfan55 and acme30 like this.
  15. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Your are correct. My apologies.;)
    143 - Hw18lmL.gif

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. This is the fourth thread. There are threads that have been locked, plenty of posts deleted and at least one user banned for threats.
    No bones about it, communication from TRJ has been shit, but personally, I don't see it as any different from the numerous other magazines (recently a significant number by one publisher) with no significant refunds or advanced notice. And they too were taking subscriptions up till the end.
    Apparently it is yourself you're concerned with. You took it upon yourself to read into my post and decide that I should start issuing refunds.
    I sincerely hope that if you ever find yourself in a similar situation where your business and livelihood are collapsing, your creditors are 'good folks' who move on from a couple hundred in losses. Yes, in the grand scheme, all of the 'couple hundreds' can add up to bigger dollars. But I wasn't aware that users were starting a class action. As a subscriber, I'm out too. And given that I'm international, a subscription costs that much more (exchange and increased subscription cost) then
    a US guy. But I don't feel that I'm any more or less of a victim than the next guy.
    Below are some excerpts from the original post. No firm promises. No set deadlines. An expectation, yes, but nothing set in stone.

17. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I give. I should have known better than to wade into this shit storm. My apologies to all involved. Hope you all have a great day.

PoTaToTrUcK and Beanscoot like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I get the outrage. Hell, I'm confused as to what is going on with all this... and what is ultimately going to happen. I wish I could help Steve. I wish I could help those that are out dough. I wish there was some sort of road map to navigate from.

But the most confusing part to me is that human nature seems to lean towards escalation. A competition between outrage and complacency. Who can be each the loudest and the proudest?

That whole competitive tribalism thing sort of ensures that everyone loses - even those without a dog in the fight.

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Please close this
    The horse needs to be buried

20. I second that motion,If and when Steve want's to comment he can start a new thread. HRP

302GMC likes this.
  21. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m just waiting to hear what Steve has to say. A little empathy, goes a long way; especially when discussing one of the greatest hot rod publications ever printed.

Speedy Canuck and Blue One like this.
  22. Powerball is now up to $290 million.

Everyone please send money to my house .. ... so I can .. ummmmmm' .. ... help all you fine fellows.

:)

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Go stand by the mail box, its on its way.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'd like to close it... but I can't stomach the conspiracy theories of a coverup that would ensue... I already get nasty emails every day about it.

warbird1, Nostrebor, Tman and 14 others like this.
  25. The haters are going to hate... Yeah, let it play out, for better or worse. Personally, I don't think he's going to able to save it, but miracles do occasionally happen. Won't be the first time I've lost money in this hobby... LOL

bchctybob and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I think we need a little compassion here. Maybe many of you have never been down but I have so I can sympathize with Steve. If RJ fails it will be hard to face the reality but everyone does eventually. It is tough for someone to swallow their pride.

27. dserge

dserge
    from WV

Put me in for the $100. to $500. And maybe some of the advertisers will send me a few thousand.
    And hotrod1948 I don't mean to be a smart ass to you so forgive me , but I love drag racing ,,,, You know why I don't race? I can't afford it.
    If I can get enough people to send me the pittance amount of money that they need to forget about I can start racing.

catdad49 and PoTaToTrUcK like this.
  28. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Dserge, well said and I completely agree. A very wise man, who was a drag racer, once said to me “Hey kid, know how to make a small fortune in racing? Start with a big one!” Except for a very few, racing costs! I never covered my costs, not once!

Max Gearhead likes this.
  29. Fordy Frd

Fordy Frd

I am paid up to issue #93, guess we'll see what happens...............

catdad49 likes this.
  30. time to give this thread a rest.( I'm sure that won't happen as stated). . till we hear from the Steve himself
    and hear what is or isn't happening with TRJ I think it would be better served just saying..
    and yes I get it guys are out hard earn money and have got nothing in exchange.. Being a long time subscriber.
    I'm for giving the guy a chance to get his feet back on firm ground and move forward..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.