Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938,39,40 Sloper Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by X38, Nov 4, 2020.

1. If you're going to do it, do it properly!;)
    Having said that, it's not uncommon in this country.

2. buckwild27

buckwild27

Looking good keep it up.

3. I fixed the shitty bit on the quarter by the door.
    [​IMG]
    I've also been whacking away on the roof, trying to restore some shape where dings were and get into the wavy expanse. Over the years it must have been banged on, had heavy thing dumped on etc. Lots of places where it’s been pushed in. Hopefully I can help it along.

That and I attacked one of the rear garnishes. Some filler and they should be good for paint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put the 'glass' in.
    [​IMG]

4. A happy delivery last year:
    [​IMG]

I think these will work:
    [​IMG]

5. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Nice! What are the wheel covers from?

6. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

7. 49 Lincoln.
    Goodyear Super Cushion 6.70/15.

8. More shitty metal old repairs to deal with. Made new internal bracing then outside patches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moving onto reinstating the parcel shelf. Like everything else due to the chop, it also needs reconfiguring.
    [​IMG]

Parcel shelf modified and now in. I also made some angle braces (unfinished and only screwed in position.)
    Slopers never had bracing here because the seat back could fold forward to create a flat floor all the way from behind the driver's seat to the trunk lid. The spare was stored flat and could be moved out of the way if needed. You can also see the modified floor in the seat area and hump for the notched frame.
    [​IMG]

Outback, Special Ed, hfh and 15 others like this.
  9. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I’m speechless... The work you’re doing on this is only something I could dream of doing. You have such amazing skills & you have to be so proud of how all your work is turning out!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Thanks for the kind words. But there are plenty better than me!

I’ve done a few things since that last photo, mostly trunk related. Because of the chop and new tailpan, the trunk lid was shortened. It also had holes and old repairs that needed redoing. Years ago I cut out the inner structure for access. God knows why, but I cut it into a million pieces so I played jigsaw and put it back. Actually it partially neede to be cut like that because in the shortening process the 'X' brace needed modifications to fit.

The hinges were also bad and had old repairs, so I made new pins to take out the wet spaghetti factor and re-did the repairs. So now the thing works like a trunk except, no latch, yet.
    IMG_2171[1].JPG

IMG_2225[1].JPG

IMG_2226[1].JPG

IMG_2227[1].JPG

[​IMG]

The latch is either GM or Toyota…I can’t remember which. I’ve had it forever and I was going to use it one way or another!

BTW, the part where the lock is I had to make.

[​IMG]

Made the receiver side of the trunk latch. Pain in the neck to figure out, but it works well. Latch operates by cable.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  11. alchemy

alchemy

On my 40 tudor (nowhere as extensively customized as your car) I put the latch in the body and the receiver on the lid. It is electrically operated, but there is also a keyed cylinder installed in the bottom of the pan directly below the latch in case the battery (in the trunk) ever goes dead.

Special Ed, chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  12. Yes, I played with that idea, in fact I have another car like that, but in the end this way won out with this latch.

13. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Hey that jig saw puzzle ( inner trunk and latch assembly) came out pretty dang good! Well done as usual!

X38 likes this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my garage "crown molding" is what happens when you don't rinse out your glass properly.
    Impressive work on that trunk lid. Past my skill set.

chryslerfan55 and X38 like this.
  15. "Who is zis man?"
    [​IMG]

Extra point if you know where the quote is from.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    chryslerfan55, Outback and mgtstumpy like this.
  16. So went over to Cadmad’s place to make a piece for the bottom outside of the trunk lid. Just to be clear, that is not me above.

But first off I needed to make the rounded inner corners and flange. These had been roughly hacked up years ago and are nothing like appropriate. Really just something to go off while making the pan and lower trunk opening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking better, with the new piece for the outside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Outback, mgtstumpy, 40LUV and 9 others like this.
  17. A little more progress. I have the skin on the trunk lid. Outside looks okay but I still need to finish the inside flanges on the corners. I hope it fits well, because it’s a really rigid piece now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outback, hfh, mgtstumpy and 9 others like this.
  18. Finally finished the basics of the trunk lid. All corners rounded on the body and lid, hinges repaired and working, latch working. I will finesse and play with gaps later. I think it’s about time for the body to go back on the chassis to see what I have to do about trans tunnel clearance, if anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put the lid back on. Okay it fits and the opening has rounded corners to match. As I say, some finessing to go on there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well done, sir ... ;)

40two, Dean Lowe, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  20. I thought it would be a good idea to get some primer on the firewall before I set the body back on the chassis. I used DP40.
    IMG_2169[1].JPG
    It was fun getting this on by myself. (I did ask a few people to help but while waiting for them to co ordinate a time I just pressed on myself. Stubborn I guess.:rolleyes:)
    IMG_2357_LI.jpg

You can see my trick trunk release below.:)
    IMG_2356_LI.jpg

Outback, The 39 guy, 40two and 13 others like this.
  21. With the body back on the chassis and the rolling stock I'm using for real, I put some body parts on to mock up the look to get my head back into the zone for the finished look. It also helps with motivation!
    28fveih2mmmdtz7q4ov35q56la4j1vqu_LI (2).jpg

9ijga03qqsc33nqo2glb365pekl67ux6 (2).jpg

22. That's going to be sooooo cool. Love the lines.

X38 likes this.
  23. That is just right! Loving this project.

X38 likes this.
  24. While mocking up the outside, I also cut a new access hole in the trunk floor for the relocated fuel sender and fuel pickup. And made a lid for it. (pics?)
    This is the plan for tail lights (without the tape ;)):
    [​IMG]

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

IMO Studebaker taillights look so right on '40 Fords that there's nothing remotely comparable.

chryslerfan55, lurker mick and X38 like this.
  26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Inspiring! I recently put my CS project on the floor and took some pictures just to get a glimpse of whats to come. It help sto that once in awhile even though you know you have a long way to go. As I said before I like where you are going with your project. Those Studebaker taillights are perfect!

27. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I'm thinking 46/48 ford rear bumper looks good you going for a filler panel stone tray between body and bar , my 39 sloper has a stone tray from a 40

28. Something a little more custom ;)