Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ANYONE STILL USE PUSH BUTTON START?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 26, 2021.

1. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

41%20ford%20panel%20388315%20016_zpshi4spzoh.jpg The Push Button Is Part Of The Cars Personality...

2. 6sally6

6sally6

I put one in my hot rod "M-word" 66!:eek:
    Push button start and a toggle switch to flip after I spin up the engine. Makes me think I'm in a race car when I "Far-it-off"!!!!
    The key switch still needs to be turned on and.......can still be used to crank the engine. Maybe one day I will eliminate the key switch and just use another toggle switch to energize the start circuit.
    Make it complicated enough some stupid gang-banger-car thief born in the 2000's will be too be stumped when think'in about stealing it.:confused:
    Shouldn't be too hard because most of them can only play video games and smoke dope anyway.
    Far be it for one of them to be bright enough to actually understand a simple electrical circuit on a 60+ year old car!!
    (Which is a good thing in that respect....right?!!):rolleyes:
    6sally6

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Is there another kind ?????

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. 32SEDAN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

wired up the original push button in my 1941 Cadillac, used a relay to send the higher current power to the starter solenoid. Key on then hit the button.

210a.jpg

Dan Hay, abe lugo and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I have two that you pull from inside and can push from under the hood. Handy !
    Mike

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. CME1

CME1

My 1940 Dodge has a foot starter . It can be considered a push starter! Works great!:rolleyes:

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The extra relay is not needed the solenoid is a relay . The extra relay does mean you will get full voltage to the solenoid . But it’s just another thing to be defective in the off shore world we like in today , just my way of thinking .

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I have no idea how that works, and don't need to know but it is a very neat feature I would enjoy having if I ever got that far along. Bob

10. When I rewired my '50 I was starting with a blank slate. I never liked that the starter could be engaged with the key off just by pushing the button, so I used a two wire button and wired it so the key had to be on for it to crank. I agree with those that think it adds, or is part of the character of the vehicle,

11. dwollam

dwollam

My '40 Ford has the original type starter button and my stocker Dodge Brothers cars all have a starter button on a box on the toe board and my '36 Dodge pickup has a stomp button on the floor too as does 2 of my Model A's. So do my old Ford tractors!

Dave

12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

My 40 Ford uses the stock button with a relay in the circuit. I Wouldn't have it any other way.

olscrounger likes this.
  13. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

My 35 still has stomp on floor ,39 button on dash ,part of the cars personality in my thoughts

14. Rhinotoyz

Rhinotoyz

15. my '34 has a '40 locking column and I gotta push the button to light it off. My old 50 Pontiac also has a button as does my wife's '17 Chrysler 300

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

I always wire in a push button even if the switch has a start position. Most of my cars have solid roller cams so I can bump it to set the valves.
    My wife has gotten good at bumping the motor over.

Deuces likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The funny thing is “Push Button Start,” could be called a “Circle Game.” (Joni Mitchell)

16 springs and 16 summers gone now
    Cartwheels turn to car wheels through the town
    And they tell him, "Take your time, it won't be long now
    'Til you drag your feet to slow the circles down"

And the seasons, they go round and round
    And the painted ponies go up and down
    We're captive on the carousel of time
    We can't return, we can only look
    Behind, from where we came
    And go round and round and round, in the circle game

So the years spin by and now the boy is 20
    Though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true
    There'll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty
    Before the last revolving year is through

It started with a button for starts and now, 100+ years later, it comes back to an electronic key and a nice modern push button for most of our daily drivers. Simplicity comes back around for another round of “NEW” designs from the world car designers. Ha!
    upload_2021-4-27_4-4-23.png
    At least, the push buttons are harder to hot wire for most people.

Jnaki

What would we do without push button starts? Crank? Ha…

18. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

My 63 belair super stock--see avatar--uses a push button to start

Deuces likes this.
  19. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Yep, in my 41 Chevy, Converted it from the original foot button start to one on the dash.

Deuces likes this.
  20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Stock pull-knob start in the Morris, and I plan to keep it whatever the build ends up doing. There are four similar knobs across the bottom of the dash, for choke, wipers, lights, and start. The start knob is attached by a long pullrod to the actual switch, which is a heavy-duty thing on the firewall, right above the starter motor.

That arrangement kept me from doing stupid stuff years ago. If I'd had a few too many I'd forget to turn the ignition on and sit there cranking the starter. By the time I figured out why the car isn't starting I'd be either sober enough to drive or sober enough to know to make alternative arrangements.

I'd like something similar in the '31.

This is really something radically different to the pushbutton start in new cars. The old way was direct control of current to the starter solenoid and motor, separate from the action of switching the ignition on. The new way is sending a command signal to perform the engine-start routine, over the content of which you have no control. The old is like using a tool; the new is like giving an order to a servant. The fact that both involve push/pull-to-make — release-to-break switch ergonomics is purely coincidental.

Deuces likes this.
  21. fleetside66

fleetside66

I made mine with a pull switch & a hidden ignition toggle.
    IMG_7474.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  22. My 50 Merc has it also & I like so I will never change it.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Deuces likes this.
  23. Around 1950, when I was 7-years old-ish, a patron parked his topless, wide open, army surplus Jeep out in front of my dad's 'beer only' bar. I was checking out the Jeep and spotted "the button". Well, the devil made me push it. :eek: The Jeep jumped a foot and I jumped twice as high. Then I got the hell out of Dodge. o_O
    Fortunately, this was a big gravel lot with plenty of room for stupid tricks. So no vehicles or small children were harmed. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  24. goldmountain

goldmountain

I put a '40 Ford dash in my T and hooked up the starter button to work but later I changed back to a regular ignition switch so that I could use the starter button to work a windshield washer. Sometimes I want to see where I'm going.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  25. Have push button in both my 32’s. IMG_7636.JPG
    ROADSTER 011_LI.jpg

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  26. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm very careful when a kid wants to sit in my hot rod...they're button pushers, first & foremost. In fact, that's one of the reasons I installed a pull switch, rather than a push button. I'm also totally focused on leaving the car in neutral & using the E-brake.

Deuces and The Shift Wizard like this.
  27. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

No key but push button start on our lakester

Deuces likes this.
  28. Ignition switch in the column drop on my '35 turns the power on and the push button on the left side of the dash cranks it; but there are relays and other modern stuff carrying the load behind the dash.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  29. I have push button start buttons s to n my 32 roadster and coupe - the wife’s 40 pickup has a start key, abs both our daily’s have a key start. The coupe uses a 40 Ford style push button where the column key used to be.

30. Sure do !!! Love it.

39 Mercury... original push-button...still working.
    Resized_20200502_180232.jpeg

Deuces and cfmvw like this.