Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Time to start planning that road trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 26, 2021.

1. This past year has seen many event's cancelled and I'm afraid there will be more of the same this year but trying to stay optimistic I have been prepping the Ranch Wagon for it's first road trip of 2021 and I have been doing all the normal maintenance and adding the new pieces to improve the car.

Now it's time to inventory the tools and parts for that unforeseen roadside/parking lot repair and this begs the question of what tools & parts do you usually carry?

Since I built the wagon it is the one of the few cars I every carried a spare tire, and a small floor jack & necessary tools for that task in case of a flat tire, I also carry a variety of hand tools, a spare set of points and a condenser.

Bungee cords,tow strap, duct tape, electrical wire and assorted ends, oh yeah and a AAA card and cell phone.

What do you guys carry on road trips? HRP

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  2. beef jerky and a gallon of water

3. VF-1

VF-1

AAA card is the best! They used to even bring you gas, if you ran out. I’m assuming they still do. Change a tire, tow, etc. great little piece of mind! Have a safe trip, Brother!

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've found that carrying the tools that you need to change something that you can unbolt and replace such as an alternator/generator, starter, carb, distributor or a belt are usually all you are going to need.
    Anything more drastic than that is going to usually call for a tow truck anyhow.

The other thing is that if you need a specialty tool, you can get a "loaner" from a lot of parts houses, use it and take it back in and get your deposit back and not have the expense of buying one nor have to haul it along.
    If they are still pretty usable I always carry the old set of belts I took off in the sleeves the replacement came in. Then I know that I have a belt that fits and have the number to buy a new one with. Otherwise I carry replacement belts that I know fit.
    I usually carry at least one spare fuel filter.
    A spare and a jack that will work with my rig and a lug wrench that will work. It's not fun to have a flat and find out that the lug wrench you have doesn't fit.

5. egads

egads

If you post your general route and dates, you would probably have enough HAMB'ers along the way that you probably wouldn't even need to pack a screwdriver. :):):)

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

On the Yblock in my wagon I need a thin wall 5/16 wrench to change the condenser, so I keep a spare condenser and the wrench in the car at all times.

On my ot roadster I need a special socket to change the ignition module, which is a known failure point on those engines, so I keep the socket and a spare module in the car.

I also have a Swiss Army knife in every car I own.

Note, since I started carrying spare parts I’ve not had a breakdown of those parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

credit card, AAA card, cell phone, Fellow Pages, all you need

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

hmmm....I had some rings, rod bearings, and engine gaskets with me in the Wedge. And I had most of the tools needed to swap out the rear axle shaft, although I had to get a ride to a place that had a press and torch (having car friends all over the country helps a lot)

But generally, if you have stuff to fix a problem, you won't have that problem. You'll have some other problem that you're not prepared for. In general. Not always.

Anyways, I've never had an AAA card, and I've only needed a tow once, and it was only half a mile, and I had enough cash to pay the tow truck driver.

10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

A basic set of wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers. Spare and tools to change it if needed.

More important than tools, a parts list that includes what it is, what the original application was, and part numbers for NAPA, AutoZone, and Advance Auto.

As an example, the front brake hoses on my 37 are originally for a 72 GMC pickup. If I need one, the kid at the counter needs that for the computer.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Electrical tape, volt/ohm meter, a flashlight or two. Garbage bag ( to lay on if needed), fire extinguisher, hand cleaner, paper towels...and whatever Momma wants!

12. I had a AAA card but I found out the hard way it only covered the 1st 5 miles. But to answer your question, I pack a tool bag with the usual tools, can of fix-a-flat, Brakleen, plenty of rags and shop towels and Windex. A quart of 15W50 too and don't ever forget the rainex with a roll of quality paper towels. If I'm gonna race I bring spare spur gears, drain pan, gear oil and my handy/dandy plastic hand pump. I think in the future I'll change to an electric pump. 34qcrepair.jpg

13. The premium AAA will tow you up to 100 miles 5 times in one year. A friend back in college broke down about 300 miles from home. He had the premium AAA so he called and had the driver tow him 100 miles, drop the car, then he called again, another 100, and then called a third time and that got him home. That was 20 years ago so I don't know if you'd get away with that now.

I do know that if you want a project car hauled, don't tell them there is no engine in it, they will refuse you. Just say it won't run. The tow truck drivers don't care one bit, they get paid, it's the operator at AAA that you have to choose your words carefully.

When I moved last July, I had AAA haul my project car from the old house to the new one.

chryslerfan55 and Elcohaulic like this.
  14. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I travel loaded for bear. Went to Louisville two years ago, and it seemed like my buddy needed half the stuff I brought. That included an old school scissor jack. Those things take up little room, are low profile, and are pretty fool proof. Bonus points for the cordless impact gun to actuate it; hand cranking is for suckers!

15. I often joke that my old junk mainly keeps going only because of prayer. But, honestly, I don’t carry much more than normal tools and don’t have AAA or any roadside coverage. The thing I rely on most anymore is a network of friends like here on the HAMB across the country if needed. My backup plan is to always have the car trailer hooked up to a truck at home in case something catastrophic breaks on the road that I can’t fix and someone needs to come rescue me. To me, breakdowns have become part of the good story later and an opportunity to meet some great folks.

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

After we first bought our AAA tow package, we lived close enough to any certified factory repair place. The towing plan was 7 miles or less. Then as our house moves happened over time, our home to dealer warranty repair place was farther away. So, we had to upgrade to the next level of 25 miles in towing.

Then while we went through our sedan delivery and other factory warranty cars, the house move took us beyond step two in the two packages. So, we finally upgraded to the 100 mile coverage. Now, there is no where in our road trips that is not covered in the 100 mile tow trips. The local 15-20 mile tow truck service is a drop in the bucket. Great service for what took place in towing help to the repair shops.

Jnaki
    The AAA (top) Tow package is great for any car. If you were to stay overnight, the next 100 miles would also be covered in the tow package, today. The battery program from AAA is also outstanding. YRMV

17. j3harleys

j3harleys

All the usual stuff. And roll of what I still call it bailing wire ( I have used it ) and duct tape. Also if it's an electric fuel pump an exact replacement, I don't want to change any mounting or fuel lines on the side of the road.

HOTRODPRIMER and guthriesmith like this.
  18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Non skid and a folding chair
    I also hide an extra set of keys, accessible outside the vehicle. Hopefully I remember where....

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

For my shake down trip in my '39 Chev coupe last fall I hit the wrecking yard and bought a space saver spare. Then tossed in a compact floor jack too. I put together a tool bag I had with a set of short combination wrenches, a 3/8" socket set, some assorted screwdrivers, channel locks, side cutters, strippers, tape, fuse assortment, short coil of insulated wire, some hose clamps in assorted sizes, and duct tape. All fit into my small tool bag and stuffed into a recess next to the spare tire and jack. Still had plenty of room for clothes bag, cooler, and personal things. Didn't use any of my tools, but it was nice to know they were there when I traveled through areas with no cell phone signal!

20. I carry a tool bag with the usual stuff, except I carry stubby combination wrenches rather than full length. Used with a (compact) cheater they work great.

21. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Rings and rod bearings that’s a whole lot more ambitious than I would be.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

That was part of the plan of having stuff that I don't want to work on, it's a superstitious way to avoid specific problems.

TrailerTrashToo and Moriarity like this.
  23. spanners

spanners

I've found that by carrying a lot of tools, zip ties, water and old fan belts I seem to use them helping other people out of trouble. I don't mind, because when I was 17 and driving my girlfriend's father's car on a 200 mile trip, I had to replace the broken fan belt. It was pouring rain (the only time belts break) so I parked in a covered carpark. An old fan belt in the trunk and not a single tool. Went to the motel reception and asked to borrow some tools, no chance. I looked like an old dero. Sopping wet long hair (remember those days?) wet jeans and an old blanket to keep warm.
    Luckily an old farmer that was in the lobby heard my plea and got some tools out of his ute. I changed the belt, thanked him profusely and we were on our merry way.
    Ever since that day 47 years ago I make sure I carry gear to help out some other poor bugger in need.
    One thing to carry with the spare and jack is a couple of softwood timber wedges to chock the opposite wheel when jacking. I found out the hard way about that requirement. Happy tripping.

chryslerfan55 and David Gersic like this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We are still in the pandemic mode all across the USA. But, slowly, things are deemed ok to do, to a certain extent. We are all still being as safe as we can, so, planning ahead seems to be the right thing to do. The old saying is, "we can't wait to get back on the road..." caution is the key word in taking those long awaited road trips and overnights. Be safe, but plan ahead, first.

upload_2021-5-2_4-32-16.png
    As reported last Friday, the newly constructed section of Highway 1 at Rat Creek along the Big Sur Coast opened to traffic on Friday, April 23, 2021.

This part of the California coast is one drive for everyone to have on any travel list now and in the future. When the road closed back in 2017, it took almost a year to clear up and make the road passable again. That made coastal driving a chore to be stopped in the middle of one of the best drives anywhere in the USA.
    upload_2021-5-2_4-31-26.png

But, this recent road closure from January 2021 was from the rain runoff that cause a landslide into the ocean. But, as luck and skill combined, it was repaired in record time and now, the complete Coastal Highway 1 is open from the Southern end all the way up to the SF Bay Area.

Jnaki

This Big Sur Highway 1 portion has a ton of memories from 1950s on for my brother and me. But, my wife and I have traveled on this road so many times, we feel like locals. Up the coast is much better as we were hugging the cliff side. There are always plenty of chills and anxious moments.

Coming South, it can be slower as the road is just inches away from the tall cliffs that go all the way down to the Pacific Ocean. A slight miscalculation in driving or dozing off is not the best thing to do while on this road, especially going South. Actually, at anytime it should always be wide awake for anything that can surprise you.

We usually stopped in Big Sur Cabins or at a campsite to break up the tense driving conditions. A definite stop over for dinner or lunch is the world famous, Nepenthe Restaurant. The last time we stopped was fantastic. A great dinner just as the sunset was starting to make its final fall into the ocean. The skies were clear, a few clouds for contrast and sitting on the outdoor dining area, looking straight down to the water during this latest dinner for us was tremendous.

It is something we hope to do again after the pandemic is over and we don’t have to be worried about anything. Right now, it is masks only and they are cautious. So either wait or blast ahead and take your chances… YRMV
    upload_2021-5-2_4-33-2.png

David Gersic and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. We just got home from the Nat's South and I carried a plethora of tools, a small floor jack, spare, jack stands and a jump box, fortunately I never had to use any of it. :D HRP

David Gersic likes this.
  26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

That's the way it goes. leave the tools at home and your going to need them.

27. A cell phone and a triple A card is a good idea.:) HRP

28. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@HOTRODPRIMER - That Gorilla tape did come in handy though, although not an auto-related use or need...!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.