Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 64 galaxie pink resistor wire...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Apr 23, 2021.

1. I see where it connects to the red/green wire coming off the ignition switch, but would anyone be able to tell me where it terminates on the other end?

Thanks in advance.

2. It should be going to the ignition coil - it's purpose it to heat up and reduce the amount of voltage going to the coil to prevent it from overheating, same as a ballast resistor. I think the wire at the terminal end for the coil is probably not pink, but spliced in and covered by a fabric loom.

loudbang and deathrowdave like this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Should go to the coil. Many cars feed full 12 volts to the coil for hotter starting spark, then cut down the juice with a resistor so the coil does not overheat while running. Many Fords used a 6v coil on a 12v system, and a 4v coil on a 6v system for this reason. The resistor wire comes from the key switch, the non resistor wire from the starter relay.
    PS Yutan and I were typing at the same time

deathrowdave likes this.
  4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

5. If it is the same as '63, the harness is different but I believe it ends up very much the same, the pink resistance wire plugs into the ignition switch pigtail (red and green wire) and from there goes to the inside firewall harness connector. On the engine side of the firewall the corresponding harness connector has two wires. One is a brown (I think) wire that runs to the solenoid for the 12 volt feed to the coil while starting, and the other is the red and green wire that goes to the ignition coil + terminal.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for explaining this as I have a '69 that's not starting and I couldn't figure it out so now I have another clue. And I know a '69 doesn't meet h cut off but the engine is th same as a '65 and earlier...

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

That reminds me of the car I sold my next door neighbor years ago. I woke up to the sound of the car trying to start. It would run until he let up on the starter. I went over and told him to check the wire to the coil. He was flat amazed.

8. Thanks. I can see in the wiring diagram that there looks to be a butt connector on both ends of the pink wire. I can find the one close to the ignition switch. I was hoping to find the other end to make removing it from the system an easier deal.

9. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

On Fords of the era, Red/Grn wire connects to the Pink resistance wire with a single bullet connector. That wire then continues on until it comes to a junction block or connector, usually under the dash, on the other side of the connector will be a Red/Grn and Brown wires(two wires) coming out. Red/Grn goes to the coil(+) and the brown goes to the 'i' terminal of starter relay. This is so when the car is being started the coil gets 12V directly from the battery.
    Full Battery voltage goes up the brown, U-turns at the Red/Grn splice to power the coil.
    When the key is released, relay drops out, power to the coil only then comes from the pink resistance wire.
    If you wish to remove the resistance wire you will need to unplug it from the bullet connector, and then de-pin it at that junction block.

I'll see if I can dig up a diagram and highlight the wires/junctions.

1964 Galaxie 1 coil.jpg 1964 Galaxie 2 coil.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  10. THX!