Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ANYONE STILL USE PUSH BUTTON START?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 26, 2021.

1. I have had a few cars, mostly '39 & '40 Fords with a key to turn on the switch and a button to start, I haven't had a car with one in a long time but I liked the simplicity and if I ever need to replace the ignition switch in my old beater it's something to consider.

How about you guys? HRP

2. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Ironically my three project cars all have key switch’s but my last two new daily drivers have push buttons.

hemihotrod66, clem, chopped and 2 others like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My OT F-150 is push button start....so is my wife’s 2015 OT

Beepx22 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. I was going to add it back to my Caddy, I found this schematic from Rebel wiring. I'm sure there is another version
    [​IMG]

5. SlamIam

SlamIam

Still pushing the button in my 51 F1

6. 51 mercules

51 mercules

On my 51 Merc I still use one!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I like to use original ignition switches on my old rides, so they have starter buttons as they originally had foot activated starters.

Driver50x and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. millersgarage

millersgarage

yup, my 47 and 33 both have them

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. fordy7coupe

fordy7coupe
    from Wylie, TX

The starter position of the column mounted key ignition switch on my daughters OT vehicle wore out. She didn't have the $ to replace it, so I wired in a push button on the dash and told her, "There, now you got one of them 'modern' cars with a push-button starter." She wasn't impressed.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Not since I sold the T....or the Hudson before that....

time for me to get another one, I think.

Dino 64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

My 40 Pontiac and 50 Chevrolet ramp truck currently!:)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Special Ed

Special Ed

I like to think of the push-button on my '53 Jet as a theft deterrent. I never remove the key from the ignition switch. If I'm out somewhere and someone decides that they'd like to take it, they'll turn the key and quickly discover it won't start. ;)

Driver50x, clem and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Stooge

Stooge

My Buick will have a pushbutton with in lieu of the gas pedal starter switch, but im keeping the keyed column switch and use it as an interrupter since its also the column support and steering lock out.

Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I did it for simplicity on my Model A, I like being able to roll a motor over without having to disconnect ignition etc.

Stan Back and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have lost track of how many Chevy AD truck guys I have tried to convince that they can put a push button in their truck for "start" rather than swapping ignition switches to something that never fit right and always come loose. It's amazing as to how many don't grasp the concept and don't understand that if you hide the push button just enough so that you can't see it but can easily reach it you have a pretty good theft deterrent plus if you leave the keys in the truck along with a small child they aren't going to be able to crank the starter if they play "drive the truck". It's not hard or expensive to replace the stomp pedal with a tractor foot start switch either.

Years ago I lost my keys and ended up putting a push button and toggle switch under the dash to start and run my 48. I drove it that way for over a year.. My buddy had ridden in the truck a number of times before he figured out that I didn't have a key in the switch.

Budget36, 51pontiac and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. das858

das858

My '38 Plymouth pickup still uses the original push button to crank the engine , I like it !

17. Thank you, this could be helpful to someone wanting to wire in a starter button. HRP

32SEDAN and 3W JOHN like this.
  18. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

40 pickup - Yes
    50 Ute - Yes
    28 Ford Land Speed Roadster - Yes
    54 Wagon has a key start
    Chick's 28 key start, but I will change that this year
    I think of it as a theft deterrent, like a clutch

Stan Back and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. cfmvw

cfmvw

I had an OT beater that the column ignition switch broke in, jamming the tumbler and preventing me from starting the car or removing the key. Happened to be in a Walmart parking lot, so I went in and bought some cheap tools, and took the steering column apart so I could pop the broken tumbler out, then stuck a long screwdriver in there so I could start the car. When I got home, I cut the steering column lock off, and added a toggle switch on the dash to power up the car and shut it off, just used the screwdriver to start it. While I was at it, I also took all the pins out of the door locks; it was very convenient to just use a screwdriver to unlock and start the car!

MO54Frank, Budget36 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. My 50 ford and 2021 Tacoma both have push button start, what is old is new again.

32SEDAN, chopped and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. I retained the push button start with the original locking column and on/off switch in a 40 Ford Sedan. I used a relay as mentioned above. Putting in a key start would take away something neat that makes an old car cool. If I were doing it again, I'd do it the same.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. mickeyc

mickeyc

I like the push button on my 40 Ford. I tend to bang my knee into on
    occasion when entering or exiting the coupe. This of course produces an
    embarrassing lurch at the most inopportune of moments. Its okay I gave up trying to look cool long ago!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. 2935ford

2935ford

Starting with my '35 slantback, all mine since are push button start.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. still got a starter button on my 33 pickup. 1538803_781802488500174_490833137_n.jpg

Driver50x and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Yep...My 1948 Plymouth has push-button start.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. flatford39

flatford39

Planning on using a key to liven it and then start with the PB on my 31 Roadster with an 8BA. Kinda like how Henry did it but not a floor button.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. 4ty

4ty

40 Ford coupe with the button.
    Paul in CT

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Push buttons and stomp starters make me happy.

29. Deuces

Deuces

My o/t 2019 Ford has one...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. My '40 Ford coupe and '32 Ford roadster have a button. The '35 Ford PU has a key switch that came with the wiring kit.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.