Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Look what followed me home today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 17, 2021.

1. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Funny thing about those 427/435's. In 69 production of 38,000+ units, 2700 of them had the 427/435. But today, I'll betcha there's at least 3X that many "all original numbers matching 427/435" cars out there today. Unlike most cars, where some get junked or parted out, and some get wrecked, these damn things not only survive but have multiplied like rabbits.

I wonder if the re-stampers realize 18USC511 treats altering the serial number on a car part just the same as altering the VIN on a car. It's a felony worth $10,000 and 5 years per occurrence. Guess few of them ever get caught, but I ain't that brave (or stupid).

chryslerfan55, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Mercy!

Deuces, swade41 and loudbang like this.
  3. Sheez'. Debbie Downer has arrived. Unkept, hairy crotch, and all. Thanks a bunch Deb'. Grab a toothbrush, and sit down.

4. The blocks can be stamped a million times and four bolt caps can be added.
    The thing is once decked its just a measurement away from proving the things fake. A measurement from the crank centerline to the deck will shine light on the fraud.

5. I found this original lakewood roll bar today. They came out around 69 and were outlawed within a few years. They were reddish orange. Some original paint is on the bottom of the bolt in plates for a perfect color match. Now I need some old skinny Simpson belts to complete the look. 20210425_165344.jpg 20210425_165711.jpg

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

7. I was at the Jefferson swap meet this weekend. I hauled home all kinds of vintage pieces that will be perfect for the build. Some parts are correct original vette pieces for the 427. I checked off alot of items I needed.

8. RT468

RT468

I always wanted to do a Chevy 427/435 with a 12 bolt rear with body colored steelies in a 64-67 no option GTO. The idea ruffled feathers in the Vette and Pontiac purist circles. Now having purchased a factory 427/390 4spd project car that will never have the factory driveline reunited I say the Chevelle is a great chassis to have a 427 in. I'd love to have a 427 to go back in it but wouldn't spend the money or go through the hassle of finding a "correct" one. Love the nostalgia and understand the want to have technically correct rides but that's just not me.

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  9. Some other goodies from this weekend. A et finned 12 bolt cover. The green et sticker is available as a repro. It will get painted black except the edge of the fins.
    The tack drive vette distributor will get a brown cap and a pertronics trigger wheel. The proper tag is on the way.
    The original ac breather will look perfect in my eelco valve covers.
    The super stock tires are very nice. I had the matching fronts on the car back in the day. They have a cool tread design. The side walls are square unlike a normal radial for a killer look.
    The carbs are 450 cfm no choke tunnel rams mechanical secondarys brand new. I paid 100.00 each. What a steal.
    A correct vette lower alternator bracket. The offset is special for a vette.
    A correct vette 69 crank pulley. This is not the 80s over the counter version. The belt divider has a rounded edge. The repo is square. It also has the gm stamp and part number.
    Some cast aluminum rear coil spacers.
    Hurst super boot with the h cut out. Nice bright red plastic. Its usually faded. I picked up a nos mr gasket boot to transfer the plate and plastic to.
    I found a guy with a edelbrock cross ram cheap with linkage. I hope to pick it up next week.
    I still need these parts.
    Raha red spark plug boots.
    M/t super scavenger headers.
    Three groove vette water pump pulley.
    L-88 oil pan.
    Skinny super stock front tires.
    Any leads would be appreciated.
    I'm going all in on this one. The car will be a rolling freak show of every possible speed part that was available around 1969. I'm enjoying the hunt. 20210425_165418.jpg 20210423_174719.jpg 20210423_153515.jpg 20210423_152728.jpg 20210423_151853.jpg 20210423_151847.jpg 20210420_094254.jpg 20210423_151823.jpg 20210423_151827.jpg 20210423_151812.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Just Gary, TFoch, oldsroller and 6 others like this.
  10. You found some real jems there. Of all the parts you 're still trying to find, the headers are going to be crazy tough. Good luck with the rest of your quest!

loudbang likes this.
  11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Very cool Brian

loudbang likes this.
  12. The Buick headers also work if the flange is cut off and replaced with a old bbc hooker flange. The buicks are much easier to find. They were painted orange. They have a sound that is all their own with the square collector. I actually passed up a set this weekend. They were brand new never installed. The 3500.00 price tag was more than I cared to spend. I'm most likely going the cheaper Buick route. I have a little time on my side to find some more parts cheap. I have several guys looking for me that deal in these hard to find parts. I will get them eventually. It won't be easy but it will happen.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  13. This showed up today. I have been finding some very cool parts on Facebook market place vintage speed equipment lately.
    This Ansen scattershield will be perfect for my build. It has the lower bolt on inspection cover that's usually missing. The two NHRA approved cast into it are cool. A fresh sandblast and powder coat and it will look like new. I had a perfect lakewood scattershield that was freshly powder coated. This I feel is more accurate for the era I'm trying to capture. 20210510_170425.jpg 20210510_170331.jpg 20210510_170340.jpg

14. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

NHRA app? Prophetic! :) nice score.

loudbang, racer-x and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. But wait there is more. At jefferson I picked up this nos lakewood fork boot. Look close for the stamped in L. The nos sticker that was included is the exact sticker I need for the roll bar. I have never seen a boot like this in all my years of hot rodding. I will keep the cool box. More little details. 20210510_173723.jpg 20210510_173749.jpg

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That ANSEN is so cool but so are all the parts and the entire project.
    Brain have you ever done anything lame?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Hemi Joel like this.
  17. When I bought this car I was 17 years old. I was making 4.25 a hour working at a equipment rental place. I had big dreams and empty pockets. I knew what I wanted I just couldn't get there. I sold the car and got it back 26 years later. My financial situation is different now. I'm now building the car I once dreamed about. There is no amount of overtime I won't work to make this happen. I'm all in on this one. Few guys get to build their high school car the way they dreamed it would be. I met my future wife in this car. My first pass at a dragstrip was in this car. I went to prom in this car. My first street races were in this car. My first date was in this car. You get the idea. This car will be built in the style I remember guys older than me building. The magazines I was reading at the time had ads showing all these cool parts. I couldn't afford them. I sold the car out of frustration 9 months after I bought it. I always felt like it was something I never finished. I have a shop now with tools to do the job. I have the financial resources to fund the project if I work my ass off. When it's done it will be a fast bad ass street car that a teenager dreamed of 37 years ago. This is a no holds barred effort. This is about going back in time to my hot rod roots. Guys don't build cars like this anymore. It's what I remember growing up on. I don't know how else to explain it. There is a certain bond with this car being my first hot rod that is special. I have built alot of cars over the years. This is the only old car my wife enjoys riding around in. This car means alot to me so it has my full attention. I can't wait to relive my youth kickin ass on the street and going to the drive in with my girl. Who says you can't relive your youth?

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What's gonna be playing on the Pioneer Super Tuner Brian?

Deuces and racer-x like this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I remember those but I wasn't falling for them new fangled cassette tapes. :cool:

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I was going to say a Craig 8 track but I think they were a few years outdated when Brian started driving.

Deuces, bowie and TFoch like this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

Those were a hell of lot better than 8-track tapes.... Plus you were able to record your favorite tunes on those.... :) with great quality sound.;)

22. its funny you guys mention the radio. im looking for a eight track. for something that was once so common sure is hard to find today. i might throw a reverb in while im at it. as far as tunes my era would be tom petty van halen boston ac/dc reo triumph for rock hank jr george strait alabama on the country side.

enloe, oldsroller and loudbang like this.
  23. This build takes me back to '68, when I was a kid and my cool uncles were building/driving cool cars. :cool:
    Keep it up!

enloe, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  24. Back when the drive train was mainly stock hp parts with some simple aftermarket pieces thrown into the mix. A visit to the dealership parts counter for a long block replacement engine. Then maybe a cam intake and headers. If you were a real high flyer then a cam and gears were in order.
    Aftermarket cool bolt on accessories realy didn't become a big thing until around 69. That's why its my cut off year. The window for the parts I'm looking for is small 66-69. Most of the parts from that era didn't last long. Better parts soon followed.

25. I'm reading alot of my old magazines from 66-69. Several stories mention red rahja boots on the spark plugs. I don't remember them. Can someone fill me in on the wires and boots from both ends that were used? My neighbor dropped off these nos pieces. I'm not sure if they are correct. Looking for some input. Thanks. 20210516_181333.jpg

enloe, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always been under the impression that Rahja boots were used with solid core plug wires and magneto's. The boot's get screwed to the wire's and the wire's get screwed into the cap. Did the car's you were reading about have mag's in them?

loudbang likes this.
  27. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I think they were pretty much obsolete by the late 60's.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Fordors

Fordors

AAB80460-8B13-4A26-B7CE-55927A8598E9.jpeg 0A987871-D3A4-4B34-A5CE-55BAB6D20437.jpeg

Here’s the only one I still have, Rajah made them without the plastic grips also. They only accept 7MM wire and won’t work with suppression wires.
    Cut back the insulation to expose a short length of the wire strands, insert the wire through the hole and when you screw it together the connection has a positive grip. They’ll work with a mag or battery ignition.

enloe, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Mine were black, not red and that was around 1960, they sure messed up radio reception but who cared, they were the cool thing to have!

30. In a bbc with headers for the straight connectors like I have work? I think these would suck in the rain.

enloe and loudbang like this.