Register now to get rid of these ads!

History One off 1950's fibeglass oddball help??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A32Flathead, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The flat front reminded me of something I'd seen years ago, but probably an old girlfriend's Kaiser Darrin.

2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I wonder if the V has any meaning. I would love to hear it running ,serviced and driven.

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The windshield looks like it's from a boat.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Honest Auction guy right there. None of the “could be rare and valuable “ etc.

5. My brother also has a '50s fiberglass oddball. His has a hand made tube chassis, is powered by by a flathead v8 and has a Lincoln Zephyr transmission. I don't think that Geoff Hacker has been able to identify this one either... 20210321_181714.jpg 728.jpeg

6. Here is a manufacturer from the UK. This might be a clue.

[​IMG]

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That may well be a one off intentional or not. There were a lot of guys trying to build those bodies in the 50's and early 60's trying to get in on the build your own sports car market and that may be the only one that ever came out of the mold. The shell has a lot better lines than the majority of them did.
    One thing about it, if Geoff Hacker has never seen one it is as rare as rocking horse poop .
    Having had a Devin body in the raw fiberglass in the 70's I can say that you had better have skill and determination if you planned to build one of those bodies from that era. They were just a bare non reinforced shell that may or may not have the doors molded in. I sold mine to a friend who worked on it from around 1980 until he passed away a couple of years ago and word was that he finally got to drive it not long before he died. It wasn't a priority interest so progress was a bit slow but he was always figuring out what he was going to do next on it.

A32Flathead and Hnstray like this.
  8. verde742

verde742

possibly a HENNWAY ?

VANDENPLAS, Besty34 and OahuEli like this.
  9. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Naawww... it's too heavy.

10. Ultra rare 1954 dodge prototype fibreglass roadster to compete with the vette :D
    it’s gotta be it !!!!

CF168B49-9CE8-470F-A7DD-D43FB0932C19.gif

what ever it is it’s cool looking and worth saving

fauj and blowby like this.
  11. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

It's got a definite "inspired by Cisitalia" face, don't it?

This one below is in the "inspired by Cunningham front end" department.

I dig them both. What a fun and challenging couple of projects. Almost - ALMOST - make me wish I had tons extra time, money and talent.

VANDENPLAS and A32Flathead like this.
  12. Thanks for your input everyone.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I saw one of these at a Car Show in Washington, Iowa. Had a flathead Ford in it and you couldn't tell it was running when it came in.

A32Flathead likes this.
  14. My brother's runs and drives. In '67 or '68, we stopped at a house in Pennsylvania to inquire about a Jaguar xk120 sitting in their yard for about a year with the top down. The owner told us that it wasn't for sale, but that he had an old "Panamerica" race car up in the barn. He wanted $100 for it and we settled at $75. We hooked up the built in tow bar that came with it and towed it home with the '41 Chevy you can see in front of it. Both vehicles have been in our family since the 60s... 728.jpeg

VANDENPLAS, AHotRod, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  15. Nope, as suggested above but it isn't. We have come to the conclusion that it is a home build.

VANDENPLAS likes this.