Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NOT FOR LOVE NOR MONEY!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

2. atch

atch

Jeff, you've got the coolest closed cab pickup in automotive history. If it were mine I wouldn't let it go either.

[​IMG]

3. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I,ll probably keep all my junk until I tip over.
    I don,t want to deal with low balling,wanna be pickers

4. dwollam

dwollam

Many years ago my '40 Tudor had to sit outside so I had "NOT FOR SALE" written on the side windows in white shoe polish. Some dumb ass came up and asked me How much for the '40? I said, Can't you read? It's not for sale! Ah come on, everything is for sale! Finally I said, Ok, you give me a million dollars for it, I will give half to my Dad, I'll keep half, and you can have the car! He said, That's ridiculous! I told him I said it wasn't for sale, now go away and leave me alone!

Dad bought this car in early 1965 for $100. It will go to my son, then to my grandson.

Dave

DSCF2278.JPG

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It seems like everybody who finds there dream car on here ends up in the classifieds 2 years later. Does anybody else notice that.

6. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I bought my 64 Camino when I was 16, that was 30 years ago. Many other cars have come and gone in the mean time, but it has stayed. I can't see ever letting go of it, not that anybody will ever offer me stupid money for it anyway.
    [​IMG]
    One of my kids will end up with it when I'm gone.

[​IMG]

My Henry J project, however, could go down the road.

Devin

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I wont sell my Austin gasser for any amount of money. The basic car I started out with to build was a retirement gift to myself back in 2010, and a build I'd wanted to do since the 60's when my love affair with the little British based gassers began.
    Since my Austin is the imported version that was sent to Canada and was left hand drive, it's a fairly rare car in North America. See lots of later A40 Austins, but finding another A8 would be almost impossible. So I wont sell it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my current almost finished '39 Chev coupe was something I also wanted since I was 18 yrs. old in 1968, and owned a 1940 Chev coupe. I always wished the '40 was a '39 as I preferred the grille much better than the '40 grille. So after the last two years of building my '39 it's here to stay now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jim snow

jim snow

Sometimes I get the itch for something different. But it always comes back to do I want to start over? Also a deep fear of sellers remorse. So unless someone knocks me over with an offer she stays. Snowman 3A2E634F-B70F-43A0-81CA-A152F23F8838.jpeg

ct1932ford and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  9. I've had my '63 and my dear wife over the same time span (49 years) Neither one for sale at any price. :)
    A picture of Linda and the car back from 1973 on our wedding trip.
    63 and Linda Jul.jpg

10. In my 78 years I have had a lot of neat old Corvettes & an equal number of neat old Hot Rods.
    The building & owning meant more than driving them. I was alway able to put a price on them & find them a new home when I got the urge to build again. The memory of one car has always stuck in my mind. It is a Black 1957 Fuel Injection, 4 speed Corvette SN-E57S103084 that
    I owned when I was 24 years young. Loved that car but had no problem putting a price on it
    & away it went to a new owner. I have tried to locate it several times in the last 20 years with
    no luck . I probably could not buy it back but I would like to know how or if it survived all
    these years (notify me if you have knowledge of it). My point is : Do not be so quick to price
    something, thinking you can replace it, because sometimes it will be gone forever & leaving
    you with just memories. The cars I own now I do put a price on them & the enjoyment or the build . I am still building Hot Rods (33 Willys coupe) & memories. Jerry Drye from N.C.

impala4speed and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

Now 73, I have 2 that I am very reluctant to sell. #1 would be the family Midget, built by my Dad 1946, I raced this car in an updated format 1970-74, under restoration by me now to an early 1950's version. The second would be our OT Camaro ragtop we purchased new and now is a very nice survivor car. Of all my other hobby cars/race cars that I sold, two I sometimes regret, the 32 Ford 3 window and my very successful/winning Edmunds Midget that a fellow racer paid me stupid money for. I always say, no regrets, we don't get do overs. Being a self employed small business owner all my adult life I never got that attached to something, the right money will buy it, what ever it is. All this being said, now like many seniors I have several personal collections that I'm thinking, what am I going to do with them. Time stops for no one. IMG_0546.JPG

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

This will not be sold. Had it for 48 years so far, bought from original owner who was a family friend. It is going to be back on the road by Monday if everything goes well tomorrow. F1648920-FCDE-4730-BBF0-0B45A59EEF8C.jpeg B77A7EA5-DC11-4A56-B8F9-AE9186BA9323.jpeg

14. What do you mean “was”?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

impala4speed likes this.
  15. If I get rid of this I’m officially out of the will. IMG_0743.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

40FORDPU and impala4speed like this.
  16. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I got this one “the hard way”, gone too soon. 27B05CAE-9BA2-4A69-A7BA-10211283E012.jpeg

18. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I purchased the Comet (avatar) on July 2nd, 1968, there is no amount of money that would take from me as long as I am vertical.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. I have owned lots of cars and sold a few that I thought I might never sell. I bought my 56 just 10 years ago from the original family and said I would never sell it. However, my brother recently asked me if I wanted to buy his 54 Chevy that I had told him to let me be first in line if he ever sold it. Anyway, I kicked around selling the 56 so I could buy his car, but decided I had too many memories with the kids in it so passed on the 54. I guess I plan to keep it at least for now...unless someone offered me stupid money for it. Easier just to say it isn’t for sale.

F0EB67DD-9B90-467B-B9AF-B71AD72BEF48.jpeg

impala4speed and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Oldb

Oldb

My current project, a 56 f100 I doubt if I would sell, and the next two projects in line, a 63 260 4 speed Ranchero and a 48 f6 COE are not for sale. I learned the hard way about sellers remorse, having sold three OT cars that I wish I had kept. 67 390 (replaced with 428) 4 speed Mustang, 69 Bronco and a 72 911S.
    B

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope, sold EVERY car I've built...it's usually to finance the next one. Sometimes I've advertised them...sometimes someone will just walk up and offer "stupid money", and I sell before I intended to.

I thought that's what I was supposed to do...I must have missed the "keep it for many years" memo.:eek::p

22. Sentimentality is really interesting to me. When my dad died I inherited his 30 closed cab model a Ford pickup. I told myself I would never sell it because he put his heart and soul into restoring it and it'd been in our family since it was new. My son and I drove from Omaha to northern Oregon to settle the estate and claim my inherited model A pickup.
    When we got to Oregon with our truck and empty trailer, the model A had been stolen..As executor of his estate I'd split up all Dad's cars so each brother and sister got one of dad's cars. My sister gave me dad's trans am because she said she had no place to keep it and no money to maintain it and I took it home to Omaha.
    I sold the trans am to pay off a credit card or maybe an electric bill or something that is now forgotten. It's strange to me that I had no problem selling the trans am that dad loved but I'd planned to keep the model A pickup forever. Weird.

23. cretin

cretin

A friend of mine has an awesome old Suburban that people love. He gets asked if it's for sale all the time. He refers to his asking price as his "fuck you" price. A few years back at the LA Roadsters Fathers day show where he usually has a swap meet spot, he told me, "I had to raise my fuck you price, people are almost matching it." Haha!

60Pioneer likes this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-4-25_4-16-33.png 1962 HS Newspaper

Hello,

Some of the folks here on the HAMB are staunch hot rodders and have specific likes and dislikes. Our history goes back to the teenage years in Long Beach and our times in drag racing. Our cars were geared to hot rodding/cruising, drag racing, road trips to surf spots all over the coastline and of course, for the epitome, our own Bixby Knolls hot rod scene. That just happened to coincide with being carefree teenagers still having fun in high school.
    upload_2021-4-25_4-18-4.png
    In late 1957, I became the caretaker of a pristine, new 1958 Chevy Impala. My brother had just purchased a new Impala and did his own maintenance/upkeep. But, since he had to take me places for school functions or friend's houses, he needed some kind of reward for services rendered.

So, out of the kindness of his heart, he took me anywhere, but at a secret cost. Maintenance of the 58 Impala, to include washing, and hand waxing (these days, called detailing). Our mom thought I was nice enough to do all of the work for him. She also thought he was taking me places as a nice older brother. HA!
    upload_2021-4-25_4-24-24.png
    I was able to start driving my brother’s 58 Impala from the time I got my license. But, after our drag racing scene had taken its toll, the Impala was used strictly for cruising and accelerating runs on our own community’s Cherry Avenue Drags. It was located on the outskirts of Bixby Knolls in a desolate, fairly empty street most of the time, back then.

We tried using it during the last part of the recovery period for my brother’s accident injuries to go to our local surf spots. That was fun while it lasted, but, even our friends took notice of two guys arriving in a hot 58 Impala with a nice sounding motor and two long boards sticking out of the back.
    upload_2021-4-25_4-25-17.png
    It was not a great scene to be repeated after a couple of great surf days in the water. The 58 black Impala was not a weekly form of surf transportation and a change was in the works for both of us. Luckily, my mom wanted to drive the Impala and that is her story. But, it became secondary daily driver unless an important cruise or acceleration event was happening.

Jnaki

So, for the last several years of high school and into our summer of 62-63, the Impala took a back seat, but stayed in our family of cars. Don’t take it wrong, the sedan delivery for me was the daily/weekly surf transportation of choice and my brother was now into VW vans with his own, custom built-in designs for sleeping and cooking.

The Impala was important to me and our group of friends. I had been taking care of it since my brother bought it new in the fall of 1957. We had spent most every weekend from 57 to late 1959 going to Lion’s Dragstrip to race the Impala. It was a great time to be involved and participating. It was nice that the Lion’s Dragstrip was only a 1.5 mile drive away from our house.
    upload_2021-4-25_4-27-36.png
    The odd ball thing was being so possessive of the Impala during our high school days. All of our friends loved the sound, feel and quickness of the Impala during our teenage cruises. So, there were times that no other car was coming close to what was parked in the garage. But, when our friend got his new 1962 Biscayne 409, that made the wheels spin and the brain function on overdrive.

Who wouldn’t want a 409 Chevy during this time? I already had a 2 door hard top, so a 1961 Impala hardtop with a big 409 was the dream car for me. Plus, it would now have a 4 speed that we could not get in 1958.
    upload_2021-4-25_4-28-11.png

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...rom-cool-to-ugly.1217810/page-5#post-13911230

That was as close to getting a new Impala and selling my 58. But, reality snapped me out of a trance. In looking at the cost and future prospects of college, loomed with a big wall ahead. High school hot rods and drag racing was outstanding. The real life was just about to start, so, the 61 Impala 409 4 speed was forever put on the shelf. I eventually sold the 58 Impala to a younger friend for his high school years, just before going away to college in 1964.

So, it was not love or money, but life itself that dictated what was going to happen.

"Thanks for the memories..."

60Pioneer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. I have had my 50 Mercury since 1951 I bough it at the Seen of a accident.,
    and I have still got today.
    I have had 3 Different Engines in it & the Sbc is the Last one.
    I went to a were a bunch of rods & Customs hang out a couple of year's ago
    an while i was talking to my freind's some guy's were checking out my
    Merc. it Looked liked they were feeling it up
    looking under neath the car,.
    Finnaly I asked them What they were Doing & the said they wanted
    to buy it & I told that its not For Sale then the Argument stared
    and in so many words I Said wanted 1.5 for it=Million.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When asked if I want to sell my 55 Sunliner or my 37 Chevy p/u I price it where no one in their right mind would pay,I will say a half million on the 55 to start and a quarter of a million on the 37 to just start to get me interested in even thinking about selling it. The 55 was my dads first and only new car and the 37 was my great uncles farm truck that I learned to drive in with no brakes.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. topher5150

topher5150

I'd have a hard time letting mine go for anything less than ridiculous. I put way to much time and thought into exactly what I want to do to make it unique and make it a part of me

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Over the years I hung on to a few that just I never considered selling.

I did sell my ‘46 Plymouth back to the grandson of the original owner after he hounded me for over two years. He just had to have the family heirloom back, wonderful 50k mile car. We had it 15 years, at that point my son’s whole life, I explained to him the family connection was the only reason why I was selling it and his response was; the Plm was his family history. With regrets it was sold, at a premium price. The buyer said he would now keep it in his family forever. He sold it a few years later.

I have a couple I would consider selling, but the others have been too much a part of my life. Memories can be worth more than money.

olscrounger likes this.
  29. I quit kidding myself years ago.
    I've had near 90 cars so far, many of which when I purchased felt it was "the one I'd never sell".
    Once found, then built, a bit of time goes by, and I'm back to searching for the "next one".
    My hats off to those people who do have that lifelong connection though.