Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stupid Napa Battery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Apr 19, 2021.

1. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I recently read that way back when, light bulb manufacturers agreed to limit the life of light bulbs to 1,000 hours. The average appliance has a lifespan of 10 years. Batteries? If they were made to last forever, how long do you think manufacturers would remain in business? Even if they cost 10 times as much, with no demand, workers would have to pack it in and go home. Buy a battery with a real warranty, no pro-rated crap.

reagen and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. If you look at how a battery works, it’s impossible for them to last forever, due to the reaction inside of the battery, especially when it’s discharged heavily, the lead peroxide and sponge lead the plates are coated with turns to lead sulphate and is shed from the plates. When a battery is sulphate that shed material has built up in the bottom of the case up to the plates. The battery is history then.

This is just how they work.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Or like some of us , buy a $50 one & change it every 3-4 years

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'm not sure I'd warranty a battery for years and years, were I a manufacturer for a couple reasons. One, I have no control over what it gets installed in. A defective charging system can ruin or damage a battery quickly. That ain't a battery defect. But EVERYBODY wants a new battery when it goes dead, and just needs a charge. Or a new alternator.

A lot of people seem to think a car battery is a "one time" purchase, or near enough, and are always trying to get something for nothing. The overall cost of warranty service is rolled right into the price. That's one reason batteries $200 or $300 a piece for the big high capacity jobs.

I've never warrantied a battery in my life. I buy them and use them, and when they die, I go buy another one. If it horked at 6 months or something that would be different. Never had that happen.

5. kaspar - My brand new F-150 truck battery lasted exactly 203 mikes/3 weeks from the day I drove it off the dealer's lot........dead cell. So.......no, OEM batteries are no better than any others.

6. If I get 4 years out of a battery in the daily driver, I'm thrilled.

7. nickleone

nickleone

I had a O/T pro rally car with batteries from Montgomery Ward . They lasted one year, usually had shorted cells from rough driving conditions. Replaced under warranty. Then I got Optima red top SECONDS from a local dealer. Five years of use, I pulled them and used them in my daily driver.
    Lasted another 4 years. Can't buy seconds any more. The seconds were $55 each.

Nick

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I put tenders on EVERY battery I have. Even found some nice solar jobs that I can plug into my daily drivers when they are being ignored. Ive gotten a LOT more life out of cheap batteries, and I feel good knowing that every time I leave my house its fully charged and ready to rock

Truck64 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. Yes they can.;) I yell at them all of the time when they pi$$ me off.:mad: Sometimes they answer back.:confused: How you ask?:oops: Usually by busting my knuckles when I pick them back up to use them.:eek: They usually win the argument.:(

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The battery I had in my sunliner was two months short of 10 years old and it sat all winter and would fire up in the spring but it was starting slow so it got replaced,could not figure out where I got it as I wanted another so I grabbed one from Rural King. The battery that was in my 37 Chevy p/u was almost 8 years old.

11. I have been running an Oddesy PC 680 in my roadster for nine years. I just replaced it with the same thing and now using the old pc680 in my tractor. Nothing wrong with it , just figured it was time. Bought them both from Tony at West Coast Batteries. My coupe has one I put in it over fivers ago. It had been sitting and now I am finishing it up. Battery still strong. 001.JPG 006.JPG

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Still Snarky? You ain't me Dork:p:p [AG] Stupid me could have checked the car out the day before? Even just flipping the lights on an off. I am accepting the fact that I may have left something "on" but for the life of me I don't know what or how I didn't notice it. Many that posted do the same as I with the same results. I know short term memory can be an issue but but I ought to remember something from five months ago! I got it, Alien Battery Suckerso_O

chryslerfan55 and warhorseracing like this.
  13. Snarky or not, squirrel is correct batteries like to be cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

olscrounger and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Lil32

Lil32

I run an Odyssey battery in coupe,placed up under dash
    car is not driven daily ,two batteries so far have lasted 10 years each,
    recently place my 3rd one in
    have bought mine at Pomona Sway when we have visited

ct1932ford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

I had a remote battery cut off put in our 50 Chevy. Button on the key chain shuts off all power.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I think there are only two or three lead acid battery manufacturers left in the US, so the label doesn’t mean much. I just had to buy two, one for my 99 pickup to replace a 5 year old one, and one for the wife’s F bird that was a year old and went bad. Oh, I also bought a 24F battery to swap between my tractor and the Lincoln when I get it going again. Bought all of them at Walmart, 3 year replacement, their prices were comparable to Tractor Supply who is usually a few dollars cheaper. Been buying all my semi truck batteries at Tractor Supply the last couple of years, exact same battery as the parts house sells just a different label, and half the price!

17. When I replaced the old battery in my wife's DD it was 13 years old with minimal maintenance like cleaning connections. I don't expect to get that much from the new one.

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No, this is an old saw that gets repeated. There are many battery manufacturers here in America.

What is true, there are 3 that dominate the market - Johnson Controls, East Penn, and Exide. They are sold under many different brand names.

Here's a listing of battery manufacturers here and abroad, as well as the "code" to see who really made your battery. There are a gazillion manufacturers.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

XXL__ and dmikulec like this.
  19. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Also when you buy a battery with the highest cranking amps for its size it wont last as long as a lower cranking amp model.

Higher cranking amps in a battery are accomplished by more plates which are closer together, which means there is less room for sulfate.

So but the 650 or 750 cranking amp battery instead of the 1000 amp unit. It will be cheaper and you will likely get an extra year or two out of it.

I routinely get 7 or more years out of batteries. Keep them charged in the off season with a fully automatic battery charger and disconnect them from the car.

20. dmikulec

dmikulec

I have a 7 year old bottom shelf AutoZone battery on my 57 right now as I work on the ignition tho I always unhook the positive side when I'm not using it and I keep a vacation charger (a little low power brick) on it. The battery is happy and has good cranking reserve (the car sat for a few decades and had to be coaxed back to life).

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Used to buy Exide 7 yr. batteries and occasionally didn't get 7 yrs. from them. But sometimes I got more than 7 yrs. too. I always use a battery tender in the winter as I've lost batteries close to their warranty date by not using tenders. But using them each winter has made some go far beyond their warranty.
    I just replaced the battery in my Austin that's a 3 yr. Exide and was a full year past warranty. I just figured I didn't want to wait for it to fail in the wrong place, so bought a new one.

22. KenC

KenC

Me too,, but, I just realized that the battery in my '13 Tundra is the original. New in Oct 2012 I think. So, 8 yrs old and counting. I think I'll wait 'til it drops, just to see how long it lasts. I wonder where one could find another that good.

23. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bruce's law of lead-acid batteries: they last 3 years, regardless of how much you spend. Maybe 4 if you use a battery tender. Anything more than that is a blessing.

24. RmK57

RmK57

I just bought two Motorcraft batteries for my 99 F-350 diesel. Maybe it's just me but I've had really good luck with them. They used to have a five year warranty but since last year has been cut back to three. The parts man said it was to be more aligned with the rest of the industry. Sure buddy.

Truck64 likes this.
  25. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Got 11 years out of my OEM battery in my 09 DD ..

26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

You are in Texas - it seems batteries don't last so long in hot vs. cold climates, which makes sense since chemical reaction rates increase with increasing temperature. So the lead plates will sulphate up quicker in hot climates, regardless of the care the battery receives.

I get about ten years out of batteries here, so long as I don't forget to disconnect them on vehicles that sit for a long time.

27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Batteries die in July, but they don't keel over till December."

Yeah, heat (and shock/vibration) is the big enemy for batteries.

28. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I bought this capacitor for my old MSD6AL box. It was suppose to take away radio and tape player static.. It did help a little.

I heard its still a good thing to have even without a stereo, it smooths the sudden hit a battery takes when the starter is engaged or some other electrical load... I have it on the main line to the fuse box, not sure if it's doing anything...

MSD 8830 Noise Filter Capacitor | CJ Pony Parts

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

So is extremely cold weather.

30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My DD [2014] ot car just had the battery replaced at just over 7 years, so about right for me.