Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NOT FOR LOVE NOR MONEY!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Do you have a hot rod or custom that you have no interest in letting go?

I have always heard everything is for sale for a price but I guess I haven't heard the price for me to sell my old beater and I have been offered some stupid money for it and turned it down, at times I have wondered who was the fool, the guy that offered it or me for turning it down, but I love my old sedan and it was the car I always wanted.

Likewise, Brenda's Ranch Wagon can't be bought, although she has mentioned a small Caribbean island might tempt her. :D

I suppose it's a passion some of us have for cars, me I had always liked '32 Fords and dreamed of owning a tudor sedan, Brenda on the other hand has more of a sentimental attachment to her wagon since her grandmother Jessie bought the car brand new off the showroom floor at Blue Ridge Ford and it was the car that she learned how to drive, it's just been a part of the family.

[​IMG]

483539-1378739678-d1a4051580bd6900f2085057ae2a88b8.jpg

We all have our reasons, how about you guys? HRP

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  2. My dad's 38 Chevy. He died in 2006, and the car literally has his blood, sweat and tears impregnated into the metal, paint, etc.. he did everything on the car himself except stitch the interior. It was his magnum opus, and I'll never get rid of it. But my kids might, and that'll be ok.

3. Yep, my 55. Ever since I built a model of the Badman show car as a kid, I've always wanted one. Still have what's left of the original kit I built back in the mid-80s.
    Had my 55 for 16 years. Countless hours in it, many spent with my deceased dad helping. It is a direct reflection of me and my tastes. People really seem to dig it and that's pretty cool, not that it's ever been my reason for doing anything. I've had several other projects come and go during ownership of this car. I can't say I'd NEVER sell it, but it would take a pretty silly offer. I did come close about a year ago to swapping it for a blown pro-street 55, but when I went to put the bumper back on the front of mine for its new owner, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Kinda like your life flashing before your eyes, but it was my history with this car.
    My dad's 59 Vette is also never getting sold. My sister has it now (her and my brother in law are pretty serious gearheads), but it's been in the family for 55+ years. I put in a lot of hours on that car as well.

wYFlrPS.jpg

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The best part of building this old heap was getting to do it with my dad. It's not going anywhere. :)

20170806_130515.jpg 04TM9947-2.jpg

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

A friend used to badger me about wanting to buy my '37. I finally told him a quarter million but I couldn't hold that "low" price forever. Truth is, if he ever came up with that price, I would he saddened to sell it. The old truck means more to me than money.

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I've had a lot of cars over many years,I really liked many of them. A few would be fun to have back.
    But only two fit the "would not sell mold."
    The two I'm talking about,are my first two cars,#1 built in 1959 is one I have kept*,1928A Bobtailed Roadster Hot rod.
    The other #2 built in 1960 as a full custom Henry J ,was STOLEN by unknown A-hole in 1964.
    I still get a smile just looking an working on my highschool hot rod,an big grin driving it! { In a way back in time,yet now.)
    A extra big kick was being invided,to be a float in our Miami Sr. High School Home Coming Parade two years ago.
    MiamiHighHomeComing1.jpg

7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I ran into a guy who lived with his young wife and 8 month old baby in a camper trailer, way out in the woods outside of Ft L. Wood, MO. No job or income except for welfare, mother's support, un-employment checks, and money from parents at this time. Lost his drivers license for a DUI and was paying that off in small amounts. Own a rusted out1952 Chrysler that my buddy wanted to buy just the headlight bezel off of in order to complete his project. The guy would not sell it, my buddy went as high with cash in hand up to 300 dollars, still the guy would not sell. Went back after 3 years later, just to see, still no sell and everything still the same (except my buddy did obtain the part from another source for much less). For this I do not understand.

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I know a guy who had 7 kids. All barefoot. In the garage was a O/T 67 427 corvette coupe, a black one. Dusty dirty his grandmother bought it for him. Not for sale. Still there. He gets mad when I ask him about it. lol

9. I've met guys who were pretty much ass out in similar situations do the same kind of things. They might not have much, but they do have something you want so that makes them feel good to deny you. I'm not saying that's always the case, but it often is.

10. alchemy

alchemy

B at 2020 Goodguys.jpg

My sedan used to belong to a dear family friend. Then my Dad bought it from his widow, and we turned it into a hot rod. A few years later he gave it to me. I'll never sell it.

11. Not me! I'm a car "building" enthusiast, not a collector. Once i drive em I'm ready for the next project. Bring me $15,000 and you can drive my 57 back home :D

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well never say never, I never intended to sell my 51 Merc but did when the situation was such that it was for the best for me and for the car. The car got finished and has spent the past 30 something year in a comfy garage. The guy I sold it to is getting real close to having had it as long as I did if he still has it and I expect he does.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

they will have to pry the keys for my 40 out of my cold dead hands
    40.....jpg

14. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

At one time I was a member of the, "I will never sell" club but I finally did a couple of years ago, I decided I wanted to experience something different, I built the car when I was 13 years old with some help of a couple of older guys into hot rods and owned it more than 50 years.

[​IMG]

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Dad's model A, I grew up in the back seat, I wont let it leave the family.
    My 57, built a lot of it with dad.
    My T bucket (maybe, but itll take dumb$$) built as tribute to the one my parents built.

Yeah, theres a strong theme to the cars I wont sell

16. trollst

trollst

My 36, was a Bellingham Washington airport fire truck, I built it into a pickup, I built it for me, 22 years ago, I have put a ton of miles on it, I was offered $40 grand for it as a fresh build, been offered big cash many times since, and three weeks ago a fella (aquaintance), pulled 50 grand out of his truck, waived it at me for the third time he's done this, and I said no again.
    It will go to my daughter, it is a family treasure, it is not for sale, she will not sell it, although I have two standing offers. Not too many guys have a vehicle they built just the way they wanted, have kept it with no changes and still love like the first day it hit the road, it is known as my truck, if you see it, you know I'm around somewhere. I'll die with it. Years ago, a friend told me, after the first offer, that I could get money anywhere, it was just money, but I'd never see the truck again. Best advice ever. DSC07761.JPG DSC07764.JPG DSC07768.JPG

17. My son has instructions to fill the ash trays with my ashes........then weld them shut forever.......it's a keeper for my kids and grand kids.....327/375 HP Rochester FI.......was offered an astronomical amount of money for it and turned that down......all the other cars can be disposed of when I pass......

'40 deluxe coupe - hot rod.jpg

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've had cars completed, cars stolen, and cars I loved. (The ones I loved most got stolen...)
    My #1 son bought me a '54 Ford coupe in '92, from a 'flipper' in San Jose. It was on a trailer at his house, son Rich and I went to look at it, (I have had 10 '54 Ford coupes since 1968, various 'styles')

The car was originally from Aptos, CA., where ex-wife and I lived in the '70s. I used to see the original owner driving it around my neighborhood, older gent. He wouldn't sell it...
    The car was rust free, all there, Rich bought it on the spot. I asked what he wanted to do with it, he said "Happy Fathers Day!"
    It is now alongside my shop, engine/trans out, fresh 406 FE going together in my garage.
    LeMans rods, new 406 pistons, std./std. crank (all gifts from son Rich. I call him 'Rich Son')

Never be for sale. Wife Joey also loves it...

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

20. Jkmar73

Jkmar73
    from Tulare, CA

I have two cars that won’t ever be for sale. First one is an OT car that was my first car in high school. I am bound and determined to get it out of storage and finished one day. The other is the current project I am working on with my dad. It’s a 31’ Ford coupe. It’s been in the family since new. I even have the original bill of sale made out to my great grandfather.

21. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Waited over 50 years to be able to find and afford this one. It's not leaving my possession as long as I'm breathing.
    1940 Ford rear.jpeg

22. I don't have any cars/trucks that I would say would never be for sale.... but I do have other things that unless times get real hard aren't going anywhere.

The biggest one is an OT antique tractor - a very rare and unique piece - it was the last thing I spoke to my father about - I bought it when I was in college out of state and called him to make arrangements to get it home - he was ecstatic when I told him what it was and that I got it bought..... he never saw it as he passed away 24 hours later. I figure that it would have been a huge project for the two of us to go through and restore it. I haven't done that yet - but I do take it out and take it to shows once in a while as a static display (it is a factory cutaway display tractor).

23. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Some friends and one stranger stopped by my shop one day while i was working on the grey
    coupe in my avatar that i had just gotten driveable. One of my friends was ragging me about selling it and once again i said not for sale, Then another one of them said the old saying "everything is for sale for the right money"
    To which i replied Nope !
    Then one of them said surely there is some amount, I said well, and i came up with what i thought would shut them up.
    The new guy that had not said anything says "SOLD", I said i was just kidding, long story short it lives on the west coast now.
    So be real careful giving a number on one you are going to keep!!!!!!!
    Still miss it.

24. I've had mine 45 years, but I would sell it for stupid money. It would need to be really stupid! DSCN6679.JPG

25. None in my world have been permanent. Long term but not permanent. I would say that might mean I haven't built the perfect one, YET. :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Have Had My Delivery For 44 Years And I Am Already Buried In It... 70414176_2485417578171058_4968622625635958784_o.jpg

27. I have a problem with wanting something different every couple of years. I live on a fixed income, have room in my two car garage for one car, and would have to sell the car I have to buy something different. That being said, I just sold my T roadster to buy a '63 T Bird. Probably my last "bucket list" car. At my age I appreciate the power steering and power brakes and none of my "hot rods" have ever had that.

We shall see how long I keep this one...

28. I find it interesting, out of all the awesome cars you own, that this is the one you wouldn't part with. In my humble opinion, probably the most beautiful Ford ever built...

29. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

At my house old cars don’t sell they just accumulate.
    There are two ot cars that I won’t part with, my mustang that my wife and I went on our first date in, and my brother’s truck, he bought it brand new and died later the same year, I’m looking after his truck till I see him again.

I’ve also got the car I drove to university that would be difficult to part with and the wagon that I drive the most because it’s so useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk