Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford C4 in a 23T, question on shift arm

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by samdjr74, Apr 23, 2021.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74

Hello all,

I recently bought a 23T that has a 302 backed by a C4. It had a B&M floor shifter when I got it but the shifter is shot, it's rusted, jammed, just not worth the effort. So I'm going with a Lokar trans mount set up. Problem is, on the C4 there's a nut at the end of the shifter arm lever, it just spins around. I need to remove it so I can take off the washers that I guess were installed just in case the B&M level worked it's way loose? I did a little research and it sounds like I need to drop the pan, pull the valve body and get the bolt from the other side. Before I even try it I just wanted to get the groups say on that and make sure I'm not missing anything. The nut that's spinning is the one circled in red

Thank you,
    Sam

C4 Transmission.png

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Do you have access to a nut splitter ?

samdjr74 likes this.
  3. samdjr74

samdjr74

No, nothing like that

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

That nut is on the kickdown lever, it doesn't hold the shift lever in the case. There is a big nut inside that holds that. The kickdown lever will rotate a bit but shouldn't spin all the way around. Not seeing a kickdown lever on the outside it may have been modified on the inside as well. Drop the pan and see if there is a lever on that shaft that goes thru the middle of the shift lever.

[​IMG]

Desoto291Hemi and samdjr74 like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

your picture is a bit confusing, the C4 detent shaft looks like this when it's like it's supposed to be

detent.jpg

samdjr74 likes this.
  6. samdjr74

samdjr74

No kick down lever either so I assume it's been modified. Now, how important is that nut then when it comes to a Lokar shift arm? The lokar arm uses a pinch bolt that locks to the shifter shaft. If the kickdown level was removed completely, would that be a problem?

7. samdjr74

samdjr74

I'm pretty sure mines been heavily modified. From the tag on the servo cover the trans is from a 68 to 70 Torino/Fairlane/Falcon

8. squirrel

squirrel

if the shaft is missing, then oil will pour out. There's an O ring on the outer end of the shaft, that fits in a recess in the shift tube. You need to have something there to seal it. A washer would work in place of the outer lever.

also, it's more fun to drive a car with an automatic, if the detent works....see what it would take to connect it to the throttle linkage, like it's supposed to be.

samdjr74 likes this.
  9. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Change out the o ring and inside bushing - if they have play - will really leak fluid. Just changed mine - stopped leaks - search eBay for o ring and bushing

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

samdjr74 likes this.
  10. There's no neutral safety switch either.

(Unless another one was incorporated into the shifter?)

samdjr74 likes this.
  11. samdjr74

samdjr74

There will be, Lokar comes with a neutral safety switch

12. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Looks like the kickdown lever is broke off inside. As Squirrel said it should look like his picture. With it broken that shaft should just pull out. You can knock a little freeze plug in it or I weld them up on a manual shift valve body. The arm with the shifter should just clamp around the shift shaft like the B&M one I would guess.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

footbrake and samdjr74 like this.
  13. samdjr74

samdjr74

So I cracked open the tranny this weekend and found out what was done. The kickdown lever was removed and a hole was drilled into the kickdown lever shaft. A washer and cotter pin were used in place of the kickdown lever. That's why it kept spinning.

14. squirrel

squirrel

now you know....

samdjr74 likes this.