Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pontiac 8 lug wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cocwieja, May 31, 2020.

1. cocwieja

cocwieja

I picked a set of 8 lug wheels for my 63 Bonneville that need to be cleaned up. I'm going to have the rims sandblasted and powdercoated but not sure what to do with the aluminum drums, bead blast or soda blast? I'd appreciate some guidance on which route to take.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

This is an old article from the Pontiac club newsletter (go to the bottom of the screen to go to the next page.) The man who wrote it used to rebuild the drums, but I believe he passed away some years ago, so ignore that part but it does have refinishing information. http://www.teufert.net/pontiac/8lug/8lug.htm

egads, loudbang and cocwieja like this.
  4. cocwieja

cocwieja

Thank you, outstanding article with a wealth of info!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. cocwieja

cocwieja

6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Here are a few tips I learned (the hard way) through the years dealing with 8 lugs..

-Properly adjusted with decent metallic linings, they will stop a big Pontiac fast! Faster then a 11" disk brake swap. You want metallic linings because they run cooler and keep the heat away from the drum. Organics let the drum get too hot.. I know this sounds crazy. The metallic's stopping power is superior to the organics..
    Make sure you adjust the Anchor pin, the manual shows how to do this. They are only on the fronts. Before adjusting make sure the brakes have been run 20-50 miles..

-Keep the 14" rims and stay away from the aftermarket 15" rims.. Those after market rims are way too heavy. The best rims are the 67-68 checkered lug ring style.. Kelsey Hayes was trying to make the rims even lighter with more flex, totally opposite of what the new aftermarket wheels do.

-When balancing, balance the rim and drum together, mark the lug studs to make sure that same rim stays with that same drum in the same place...

-Diamond Back makes the H-70-14 radial tires that fit the 8 lug perfectly.

-I like GM Argent Silver or semi gloss black for the wheels... I prefer to keep the drums bare with a light coat of clear to keep them from corroding... Or painting them black. I once saw a 63 Bonneville convert. It was dark blue with black 8 lugs and black rims, no beauty rings. All you saw were the chrome lugs and center cap.. This car looking outstanding!!!!

That P.O.C.I. club tech Rodger Rhiel was very smart. Too bad his machinists were screwing him with the drum re linings.. He also knew the four speed Super Hydra-matic well... I used to talk with him for hours, he was where I got most of my information...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    31hotrodguy and cocwieja like this.
  7. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

These drums/wheels are awesome! I think a factory-style restoration really shows off the detail of these wheels. Good luck!

cocwieja likes this.
  8. RT468

RT468

Based upon 2 pics prior to sandblasting can anyone ID which years these rims are intended for ? Followed the link and read the rim info but not entirely sure what entails flat or reinforced tang etc. Have 2 bare rims of each type in the pics and 2 assembled wheels unsure of which rim they're mounted on.

Attached Files:

9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

This is the rim you want. These are 67-68 rims. They have the checkered pattern going around the rim. KH was trying to make the wheels lighter. The 67-68 cars with 8 lugs always seemed to work the best..

The other rim looks to be from a 63-66 car..

Rodger had me looking all over the place for the 67-68 wheel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  10. oldolds

oldolds

Be sure to check the drums fit on your car before you restore them. I seem to remember there were at least two different widths of 8 lug drums.

11. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

The front drums got wider starting in 1965. Rear drums stayed the same width 1960-1968.

12. RT468

RT468

Thanks to all that have replied. I picked these up as part of a collapsed shed / estate clean out a few years back and knew what they were but beyond that just enough to be dangerous. Knew the rims were for 8 lug Pontiac I didn't pay attention to the details just didn't want to see them get scrapped. The rims may not clean up even with a heavy blasting and haven't even considered what to do with what I assume are front hubs on the other rims. Not even sure the caps and rings that I scrounged are correct for the hubs. Got curious about them again after having to move them yet again. I can't imagine I'll use any of the rims or the complete wheels but I'm always wanting to be somewhat informed so I can honestly describe parts if I advertise. True to form,this forum comes through with info and some shoddy pics.