Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '53 Flathead Value?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Peuth, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Peuth

Peuth

Found a flathead pulled from an allegedly running but wrecked F-100 and stored covered in a garage. "still spins freely." Includes original radiator, bell housing and starter plate. Asking price $1000. After researching the forums here that seems excessive. I'm in California. Thought I'd ask the question of experienced builders here before I dismiss the prospect. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks
    53 flathead.jpeg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Pull the heads and oil pan to look for cracks.
    Only offer $300-$500 if no cracks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1971BB427 likes this.
  3. I paid $15 for a running 53 Merc motor a couple years ago. No, wait! It was 1965....seems like only yesterday.
    $1000 seems excessive to me unless it was fresh and had written, money back guarantee of no cracks. I'd have to hear it run too.

4. Complete like that would be max up here 650.

basically your paying for all the ancillaries, flatheads are prone to cracking .

it’s better it spins then it being seized, but it could still be all cracked to crap.

everyone try’s, when I built my 261 I watched a lot of 235’s and 261’s start at a grand or 800 bucks and watch the add for a few months, I would end up picking them up for anywhere from 50-150 bucks depending on how much stuff was still bolted to them.

5. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

$500 is top dollar for a complete, free flathead in my book. They're all still a crapshoot, and sometimes you get lucky. I'd rather be lucky with $2-300 than $1000. That said, scrap prices are high these days...

stillrunners likes this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

On a non-running flathead... the percentage of it being a runner that’ll last you years of service is 15- 25%.
    If you looking to just buy it to rebuild then I’d guess your percentages would bump up maybe 10%.
    I wouldn’t pay over 500 for it without a guarantee.
    Good luck.

7. I got my 49 Merc for 600 plus 200 to ship,,,,so 800 total .
    But,,,,,,I had maybe 20 pics of it inside and out .
    The heads were removed and the cylinders looked like it had just been running.
    All the head bolts were perfect and the piston tops looked great,,,,,no rust in the cylinders.
    So I took a chance and bought it and it turned out great !
    The entire engine was perfect,,,,,,,the block checked great,,,,,no cracks,,,,,I had it checked .
    The crank is good at .002 under,,,,,yes .002 under,,,,,and I already have the bearings.
    The heads are perfect,,,,,,I plan on using them too .
    And the Merc intake,,,,,,if I don’t change my mind ?

I just have to get over my health issues right now,,,,,,,and then the future will be what I can make of it .
    Tommy

Budget36 likes this.
  8. banjorear

banjorear

If it's a true '53 block, it should not have hardened valve seats. While street guys may not want this, serious flathead racers do. It allows you to go with large valves without too much effort.

If the block checks out with no serious cracks, passes a pressure test, is cleaned correctly and you have paper work to verify all this work, the block alone could be worth up to $1,000.

That said, as it sits, $200-300 tops is the max I'd spend unless you can get a money back guarantee if the block checks out as junk.

Tearing down a flathead is a chore and a lot of work. It helps if you have all the correct tools, but it's still a PITA with them.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    alanp561 and KiWinUS like this.
  9. oldolds

oldolds

It's a funny thing with engines. When I want to buy I am always told "they are hard to find and worth a lot" When I want to sell I am told " they are all over the place and not worth anything." "I will only give you scrap price for the weight"
    That being said it is nice that it is complete. You do not have to look for brackets and the right pulleys ect. That is wort something.
    Last I looked around for a flathead I found stuff sitting in barns for 40 years priced from $100 to $1000. The guy I was looking for found one from a running car that was being replaced with a fresh engine. It was a leaky worn out engine. He paid $400.

10. adam401

adam401

The engine thats in my car was a greasy sitting under a bench for years engine. I turned it, it seemed fine so i started it. Its been in there for 2 years and I bolted speed equipment to it. Its an 8ba and i traded 500 worth if parts for it. I just bought another core 8ba that turns but has no accessories for 200 and drove 1.5hrs to get it. Im going to buy a bare late flathead block thats been cleaned and thought to be good (fingers crossed) and a fresh 4" crank for 250.00 this weekend. So for what its worth thats what I pay for shit

11. banjorear

banjorear

The bare, cleaned block and fresh 4" crank for $250 is a steal. Run, do not walk for those.

adam401 likes this.
  12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

As others mentioned, the odds of cracks between valves is a big factor. I have a friend who bought 22 flathead blocks form a local estate because they were cheap. When he finished going through all 22 blocks he had 4 without cracks. Some were still repairable, but most were scrap metal.
    I'd never pay that price, but I also wouldn't buy at any price without pulling the heads.

13. slowspoke

slowspoke

Cool find! Looks like you got some great advice here. Let us know what becomes of it!

14. CJ101

CJ101

'53 makes it an 8ba correct? I have just learned the hard way that these were the version more prone to cracks. I bought my 51 shoebox in rough shape but running. I drove it up onto the trailer and around the block before putting it in the garage for rebuild. I took the engine apart this spring and had it dip tanked, hoping for good news but below are just two of the cracks we found. So, I agree with the very low percentage of likely hood that it is crack free and would not want to pay $1000. Especially your US dollars! That's like a bazillion of our Canadian dollars.
    upload_2021-4-23_13-4-31.png
    upload_2021-4-23_13-5-12.png

15. getow

getow

As the story goes... Its only worth what someone is willing to pay.... Might be worth more or less to someone else. But that dont really matter. Its what its worth to you that counts. Do what you seem fit. Everyone likes that great deal, but thay are not around every corner. As time goes on, price wont matter. It'll be the fun that it brings that makes the value worth even more. Good luck.

16. Peuth

Peuth

Thanks everyone for your replies and expertise.

17. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Just picked up one for 50 bucks. So Id say do some more searching etc.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a couple of random facts. I have found that if a block doesn't have the "part number" cracks, the chance that it is completely crack-free is close to 100%. It doesn't happen very often, but it's an easy preliminary check.

I sold my second to last crack free 8BA bare block for $800 with a guarantee. And that was 5 years ago.

Desoto291Hemi and alanp561 like this.