Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ANYONE USING TRIM RINGS ON YOUR WHEELS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 21, 2021.

1. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I had them on my '50 coupe.

[​IMG]

2. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

3. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Trailer-1 copy.jpg

They work on a trailer, too.

4. They look pretty good on any '40 Ford.......

'40 deluxe coupe - @ cruise.jpg

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Local fellow with a fender less roadster has trim rings on the inside too.:).

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The only time I will use rings is if it had full caps on it,fresh paint and going to use the small cap then no rings.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. 4ty

4ty

Early Fords (and others) are "naked" without them. JMO
    Paul in CT

8. da34guy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. sure does 3inchs

10. set me on fire

set me on fire

yes .. and chrome lug nuts too
    not sure if Sgt Bilko would approve tho. 20200917_152750.jpg

11. How do you use rings with "full caps''? JW

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If the rims had full caps and scratched up then I will use rings with the small caps

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have them on two A's
    IMG_0489.JPG IMG_0959.JPG

14. texkbc

texkbc

15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I alway thought that when you have rings with no caps, somebody stole them.

hotrodjack33 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Yup, I like them, especially on steelies. The narrower the better.

17. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1419.JPG I really like’em!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1438.JPG More.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

With money being a typical teenage problem for buying chrome wheels, it was always black or some color paint. Then the stock or v8 Ford small center caps. Finally, if the rings were available for a decent, affordable price, then they were added to the mix. My first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery had black rims and a small round center cap only.

When the sedan delivery rolled into the drive-in parking lot, it did not have a small center cap, but was black on black with the salmon pink color. (it was supposed to be racer orange) The contrast was pretty mean looking, while the rumble of the 348 Chevy motor made all of us listen and see what it was rolling into the parking lot. It was impressive.

After weeks of haggling and me being the only person interested in buying the salmon pink 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, a deal was made. But, I would not get the 348 version, but a simple stock 80 hp Flathead motor and the floor shift LaSalle transmission. The deal was set and I was disappointed in not getting the 348, but was a happy camper with the new teenage surf vehicle.
    upload_2021-4-23_4-42-59.png
    With some leftover money, I immediately purchased the beauty trim rings to make it look a little better, than a delivery truck. (which it was) If the 348 was still in place, it would have retained the black on black look with the contrasting salmon pink paint. It was just intimidating with the look and sound.

Jnaki

Everyone thought I was nuts to buy this old hot rod, but 1000s of miles later with long drives all over So Cal coastlines made everything worthwhile. It was a very reliable, first teenage hot rod. My friends all wanted to sit in the back, rolling around on a mattress with a cooler strapped to the wall. Safety? It was 1960 and no one had thought of seat belts or padded dashboards… so teenage fun was in style.
    upload_2021-4-23_4-44-25.png
    Ten years after high school, my wife and I bought another 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery just to have a cool hot rod. But, it took months of repairing just about everything, replacing a lot of running suspension parts and getting the whole thing road worthy. When it was finished and a worthy, road tripping hot rod, now the accessory stuff started getting added. The first thing was a set of small center hubcaps and beauty trim rings. Now, it had a better orange/red paint job and it looked similar to my first high school hot rod from 1960.
    upload_2021-4-23_4-45-31.png
    Again, after going through the repair stage and replacing parts stage, it turned out to be another reliable hot rod. But this time, it had a 327 SBC and the valuable A/C unit for some long distance cool driving.

The black on black look for just about any car is somewhat intimidating these days. Just look at the huge black on black SUV vehicles roaming around the city streets. But for any hot rod, some like the no hubcap look. I have been partial to Moon Discs since they first came out many years ago. But, it just did not have “that” look on our sedan delivery hot rods. The small hubcaps and beauty trim rings made it look stock and custom at the same time. For my wife and me, it completed the hot rod sedan delivery look for our 6 years of ownership and consistent road trips, pleasure and business.

20. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

7CA6A2DE-A1CA-44E6-BE1F-98FC33053B82.jpeg ‘55 dog dish and early ‘50s rings!

21. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

22. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

IMG_1217.jpg Different style. Like it better.

Attached Files:

23. atch

atch

Well; sort of. While most agree that you either like them or you don't, I'd like to throw in a qualifier.

Wheel color color, body color, and white/black wall have an impact (imho).

Firstly the tires: I believe that whitewalls sort of "wash out" the contrast that the trim rings provide. They almost disappear with WW.

Secondly wheel color: same as WW.

Thirdly body color: while I don't think that this has the impact that the wheels and tires do, light colored cars sort of also defeat the "look" of trim rings.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't like cars with those characteristics, but (again, imo) dark wheels, dark cars, and blackwall tires wear trim rings better.

Clarence is still in paint jail but my plan is Washington blue on the body and wheels with baby moons and old style trim rings. That is; not the big flat ones like rally wheels used. Pretty much the wheel/tire look on Danny's 32 four door shown in post #10. Maybe with pin stripes and maybe not.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Bought these off a buddy of mine a while back. Waiting on a tire rack in my basement right now for my project car. my rod 23.jpg my rod 21.jpg

25. They were a must on my 'factory king cab '53 pickup.
    P1010563.JPG

41 GMC K-18, 210superair and alanp561 like this.
  26. goldmountain

goldmountain

I bought a set for my car at the swap meet, but unfortunately, my calibrated eyeballs can't differentiate between 15" and 16". However, they were cheap enough.

27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Baby moons of the shoebox for sure

Jim Bouchard and 210superair like this.
  28. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

IMG_0206.JPG Count me in. Although I prefer the smooth early 50's Fords. IMG_0197.JPG

29. 55Belairman

55Belairman

30. I like trim rings, but since they can scratch the paint on the wheels, you're committed to keeping them unless you don't mind scratched up wheels when you pop them off. So, for that reason I didn't run them on my 40.

TagMan likes this.