Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lipstick on a pig

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chessterd5, Mar 30, 2021.

1. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

The residual valves are only necessary if the master cylinder is below the level of the wheel cylinders and/or bleeder screws on disc brakes.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

It is. Bolted to the frame. It's lower than most of the rest of the car. Fortunately, it's not very hard to get to.

Got home from work in time to do a little bit. Vacuumed out from under the front seat. I think the track is rusted just enough so it won't slide, so I think I'll have to unbolt it from the floor and fix it. Or replace the seats, which could happen. I checked the engine and it's loose. The 8 is stuck. Hmmm. I think that I'll pull the driver's front fender to make access to that side of the engine easier. I need to remove the rest of the electromatic clutch and get that thing online to see if I can sell it., and the engine will come out at some point anyway, so this might make it easier.

Scored some more lights for the hay house, too. Some I bought and some were free. Too bad they weren't all free.

And I got to spend some Quality Time with Fred.

Attached Files:

3. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

20210422_171000.jpg
    I went to The Pate swap meet and picked up this tach and some door handles. If anyone can identify what they are from, that would be cool. Thanks!

4. He has a look that says, what’s the joke son ( gag that is) ? Why are you photographing me boy?!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chessterd5 likes this.
  5. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Got a chunk done over the weekend. Got some more stuff off the 6 to prepare it for coming out of the car. Parts are soaking in solvent and/or cataloged and bagged for reuse or replacement. Finally unloaded and stored the engine I rescued from MI three weeks ago.

I pulled the head off the other 8. It's stuck. I put a mixture of diesel, ATF and acetone in each cylinder to soak. Four cylinders have let the mixture through, so I suppose they are telling me that they're loose. The other four are still holding fluid. I reckon that it's a waiting game. I also have shot a bit of penetrating oil around the valves in the hope that it's irrigate the stems as much as possible.

I've never worked on a car under as close scrutiny by a cat. She would get on the fender while I was leaning into the engine compartment, and she'd put her head into my armpit or under my chin. It was really funny. She lost interest after awhile and took a nap on the front seat cushion, which I removed and put on the roof of the other car to help air out its barn "fresh" scent. The she wandered off to do Little Cat Stuff. She's quite the little cat.

chryslerfan55 and chessterd5 like this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I enjoy seeing a budget build, as everything I've ever built could be considered "lipstick on a pig". I rarely have the money to pay anyone for any part of my builds, so I try to do everything myself. And I try to buy swap meet, or wrecking yard parts as much as possible.
    I've done this for so many decades now that I don't even consider paying somebody to do much of anything. Yes, my builds are not always show quality, but occasionally surprise me when one of my cars wins at a local cruise, or car show.
    But it's nice to finish a car and be able to say you did it all yourself; good or bad. And I really like saving money too!

7. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Finally heard back from the guy I was hoping to. He has an interesting pile of parts, and I thought it was what I'd like, and it is. Sweet! The Big Motor!! Complete!!! I can take my coupe body off my little frame, build this engine and frame, install the two-door body, and God willing, sell off the four-door bits and pieces and pay for (mostly) the acquisition of it. The car has been for sale for nearly half a year.

Hope it works.

chessterd5 likes this.
  8. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Found a deal on a decent car trailer.

How many new "friends" will this get me???

Chasing down the new rust bucket the first weekend of June.

9. gene-koning

gene-koning

Putting the 2 door body on a frame with a big motor works, but if that frame is modern, it takes the car away from what this site allows. Didn't used to be that way, but it is now, unfortunately.

Disposing of unwanted stuff lately has become pretty depressing. If I want something, it seems to be very valuable, but if I want to get rid of it, it seems its worth less then scrap value. I'm doing a shop cleanup this coming summer. Some of the stuff here should be of good value, but I'd be happy just to find someone that will actually use it. I probably won't be able to find that guy that wants it, most will probably end up being scrapped.

The "decent car trailer" will mostly produce new friends that want to borrow it. Don't let that happen, the trailer always seems to come back with more damage then it left with, but the borrowers will tell you it was like that when they got it. I quit lending my car trailer out. A few years later I sold it because I wasn't using it much, and I really had no place to store it at my new place. The truth is, I don't miss it much. I do have a car trailer (and a truck to pull the trailer) I can borrow... Gene

10. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Bearing in mind that nothing has happened yet in the Real World but only in my Twisted Mind, It'll be a '47 body and ID plate on a '47 frame with a '47 engine, so I think all of that combination falls within the allowable parameters, et cetera, so on, and so forth. If not, they'll ban me, and that would be sad.

I saw an ad for the frame and drive-train for what was supposed to have been Jack Palance's '47 Clipper Custom Super whatever - no body. It has been pulled to go on some FoMoCo modern frame. Look, it's 'Murrika, and if it's your car, then you get to do what you want to, so I excoriate no one for exercising his right to build what he wants. I think that it's covered in the constitution. Never heard back from him, so I'm afraid he scrapped the frame. I really wanted the engine.

They just aren't making some of this stuff any more.

Re: borrowing my stuff. I fully understand in my old age that "no" is an entire paragraph.

11. X-cpe

X-cpe

"Can I ........?
    "NO"
    'Whhy?"

12. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Why not???

Because it's mine???

Because I said so???

:D

chryslerfan55 and X-cpe like this.
  13. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Happy Sunday!!! Got to go to a fundraiser car show yesterday for the volunteer fire department in the next county over. There were 88 entries, and one motorcycle - not mine. There was some fun stuff. Probably more tri-five Chebbies than anything.. But almost all the entrants there were what we're talking about in this thread - works in progress. A couple of the fiddy-fives were pretty much show-winner ready, but a lot of them were very obviously drivers and not trailer queens.

The good news is, this is Car Country where I am now, and there will be many more shows as the year passes. I can get the names of who does what for stuff I'll have to hire out, like a machine shop for engine work.

My stuck engine seems to be loosening.

I liked this car as an example of what we're discussing:

Attached Files:

14. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Also, I have a question, and I'd like some opinions. Yes, I know, and online, too.

Which grille do you prefer? The '47 has the wide slots and a deflector which goes behind it, whixh is removed for cleaning/painting. The '42 has narrow slots and no deflector. Whatcha think??

Attached Files:

15. gene-koning

gene-koning

From my perspective, the Grille in the 1st pic matches the lower grille pieces much better then the grille in the 2nd pic.

Stogy and X-cpe like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Door handles are 30 Model A...maybe other A years as well...the tach looks very post 65...I believe...

chessterd5 likes this.
  17. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I know what you mean about the lower side grilles. Oddly enough, those are the same on the older car, too. I'm guessing that it was a mix-n-match thing.

I did find a bit of small damage on the '42 when I was looking at it closely. It doesn't have to be decided by Thursday.

18. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Came back east for the (as it turns out, entirely too short) weekend. Stopping about halfway back to look at (yet another) bucket o' bolts-n-rust. This one is likely destined to become a pile of parts, too. We'll see. Maybe I can resist the urge to drag it home. That would be another trip anyway.

Road trip next weekend to score the last bucket.

19. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Bought the bucket I looked at. Another anvil engine. There is no health in me . . . .

20. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Look like the cast from TLB

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd let Fred make that choice;):D zfred.jpg

chessterd5 and Wat_Tyler like this.
  22. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

That's the best laugh that I've had all day.

Fred is a traditionalist. She'll want the '47 bits with the '47. Not a fan of change.

23. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My guys would seriously consider the choices. pp3.jpg

Disagree on the solution.
    pp4.jpg

...and come to the conclusion that they just don't give a shit;)
    pp2.jpg

24. oldsman41

oldsman41

I hate to admit it but that looks better than some of the crap I brought home. Go for it man

25. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Talkin' to a guy with a big-ass Packard coupe. Fastest car out of Deeetroit in '47. He wants more than I want to spend, but coupes are wicked-hard to find among all the sedans they built. We'll see.

The really opinionated cat lives inside. Fred's sister. They wanted apart, it seems. That's how it worked out, anyway.

26. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

This next one is a rust bucket. I need to tell youse guys about the hot rod geezers I met totally by accident on Monday while coming home. It was like Xmas in May.

[​IMG]

27. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Brought home another one. Lots of Bondo.

Still some good sheet metal to be had, which will save time.

Attached Files:

chessterd5 likes this.
  28. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

29. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Thank you!!! So do I.

So I saw an ad from a guy in IN for a long wheelbase coupe with the big (anvil) engine in it for sale. I responded and went to see it. Turns out it was "them," as in, he has 4 of these relics. He's older and is downsizing his accumulation. Packards have to go. He's keeping the Chryslers. And the (1911) Hudson, and the A-bone coupe. Anyway, like The Godfather, he made me an offer I don' refuse.

So after I get some more space built and haul all this crap home this fall, I have (almost) no excuse not to have something rolling by this time next year.

I know . . . .

30. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Apparently, the horse has a different opinion regarding my latest purchase:

IMG_2107.jpg

chessterd5 likes this.