Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lipstick on a pig

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chessterd5, Mar 30, 2021.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

WAT_TYLER, your plan looks pretty solid. When it comes to time for the brakes, if your stuff is in really bad condition, or you just intend to install all new stuff, I've found over the years OEM replacement parts for the 40s brakes are expensive. On top of the cost, most of those brake systems are pretty ineffective for these modern times, if you intend to drive where there is a lot of traffic. If you live in a low traffic, or slow traffic area, your OEM brakes would probably work OK.
    I would at least look into a disc brake conversion for your car, it could be 1/2 the cost of replacement OEM stuff for a lot better brakes.

As for the paint, our local farm store offered their house brand version of Rustoleum in gallons that could have the color custom mixed as recent as 2019. Don't know if the custom mix stuff is still available, but it sure was a nice option to the color choices available in Rustoleum.

To get rid of the "barn fresh" smell often requires a replacement of everything cloth or soft material inside the car, and a really good cleaning of the interior metal. The mouse/rats nests and droppings (or other critters that took up residence in the sitting car) are the cause of most of the barn fresh smell. Gene

2. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Thanks. They still need some work. But they work well for what they are. I tried to place and grind the flat bar stock so it "resembled" stock trim. But I'm not trying to fool anyone, lol.
    The hinges are just house door hinges. It was either 14.00 dollars for those or the real ones for 65.00 dollars apiece times 6!
    The hard part was cutting the square tubing and rewelding it to follow the same curve of the body and it's still not completely right but it is close. Speedway sells some chrome outside door handles that might help them look more legit.

loudbang, AndersF and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Hmmm, so I wanted an 8 all along and ain't seeing one fitting into this frame as is without major (okay, maybe just serious) cutting.

And then along comes an ad for a 4 door with the elongated front end - and an 8 already in it. The 2 door will go right on the frame and attach to the longer front, so I'd be taking two and making one. Now, if the guy would just message back already.

Meanwhile, Plan A still is going on.

chryslerfan55 and chessterd5 like this.
  4. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Sounds good if it works out!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Honestly, the price is too low to let it go. Seriously!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I'm thinking that I want flames but I'm not sure what style. Any suggestions?

7. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I was gonna get my Harley-Davidson flamed. I was looking at something called Real Flame, and I actually found an artist who could make that happen. And then a couple of things happens and stuff changed, so now I doubt that I paint that bike at all. Certainly not any time soon.

In other news on the straight 8 front, I never heard back from the guy with the longer front end, but I did figure out how they got the lon engine into my existing frame. There is a horseshoe shaped support up front where the inner and outer fenders come together, and it supports the radiator. The six-banger radiator is on the engine compartment side of the horseshoe, and on the 8, it's to the grille side. It's about a 12.5" difference in space, which is enough for the extra 7.75" of engine length plus the water pump and fan.

Since I was going to have to get inside the 6 anyway, now it can just come out and I can spend those dollars on making the 8 a reality.

8. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Thanks for the insight on the disc brake swap. I have looked into it, and perhaps need to do some more shopping, but the arrangement I found is more expensive than redoing the original brakes. But now since I've sorted out the straight eight fitment issue, the disc brakes make more sense. I need to be able to stop as fast as Mom's minivan that is panic-stopping in front of me.

Just out of curiosity, which farm supply stores do you have? We have a couple of Tractor Supply stores in this area, and I think that there is a Rural King at the other town - maybe 20 miles away. Close by farm standards. There may be some toher chain in the area, too. Google knows.

The front seat is out and there are acorns under it. Rodents are such industrious critters. I'm sure that Fred the barn cat will harvest any who made the trip from Texas. Fred is a vicious killer.

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I drive a brush painted Power Wagon everyday , rain , shine , snow what ever is there . Ever one asks me “ why did you brush paint it “ ? Most have no idea that it would take a crew of body men and a priest to make it nice enough to paint it correctly . It’s tough , banged up and rusty , but it is what it is . It will go anywhere on the planet at the turn of the key , carry more that the bed will hold . My old Harley is getting bumps and bruises on it also , it will never be repainted as long as I own it either , every mark tells a story . The 32 was built and painted in the garage of a bi level house , raising a family was where the dollars went . I bartered parts , for labor , I did as best as I possibly could and it’s not appealing to a lot of folks but it’s mine and I did what you see . It’s all about the fun factor to me , not what the plastic card can buy you .

10. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Good! I think that will save you some money and some time. I figured the factory had some way of dealing with both engines on the assembly line since they were both an option.
    One thing that needs to be considered when hopping up a motor is how much the rest of the drive line will handle. I don't know if your transmission is a 2 speed or a 3 speed automatic or manual?
    If the stock transmission can handle a slightly more than stock engine you should be fine. If not, maybe someone makes an adapter plate to mount a later model transmission like a C4 or a TH350?
    That may also mean changing the drive shaft some as well. One thing leads to another. Lol only research can answer those questions.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Sir, I think a 32 will ALWAYS be appealing!
    The only reason I have my model t ford is that the previous owner of it, finally got a 32 for himself. I paid it out over a month or two and drug home 6 pieces of a car, original frame, and springs. I bought it when I was 19 and I have been hauling it around in one form or another for 30 years. I had no idea what I was doing but I didn't give up and my dream is almost a reality. Thanks be to God.

12. gene-koning

gene-koning

Happy you understand the mom's minivan doing a panic stop in front of you and the need for better brakes. Way too many people here think that just because the oem brakes worked well 60 years ago, they are still up to the task in todays traffic. On my 48 Plymouth coupe, the disc brake conversion was cheaper then replacing everything the oem brakes needed.

Here in the north west corner of IL, we have Farm & Fleet farm stores, 50 miles north of the WI boarder, they have Fleet & Farm stores, pretty much the same thing, just a different family ownership. I suspect its about the same as the Rural King or Tractor Supply where you are. (I'd google search what stores may be in your area, but google won't accept "right here"). LOL! Gene

13. AndersF

AndersF

I would do flames in this style.
    Looks good and can be done with brush or rattlecan.
    I think orange or red would look best on the green.
    The photo is from the net.

[​IMG]

14. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Did you try adding "damn it" after "right here"?

Yeah, it didn't work for me, either, but it merited a try, so there we are.

The brake system will be the answer to "what did you spend your stimulus on?"

ETA: Found out we also have Southern States stores, too, so my work is cut out for me.

15. 210413LipstickpigT.jpg Sorry 'bout the copyright thingy, ignore it. Feel free to use the layout/image as a basis/springboard etc. should you wish (it is yours!).

Cool lil' car mate.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Good advice right there. I recently picked up a Ford tube axle for a ‘32 Dodge PU I’m playing with. I needed a hub and drum to get started on making it a roller. Bought a pair and by the time I get it all good, I’ll be into it with a lot of used and rebuilt parts, where a Speedway disc set up would probably save me 250-300 bucks.
    Reading your reply here just made me realize to stop spending money on it, use what have for just a roller and go with the Speedway setup. Heck, I’ll still come out ahead, even more if I decide to sell off what I have.
    May not look like a 1950’s hotrod, but will be safer.

I don’t mean I’ll come out with money ahead, but won’t be heavy $$ into an inferior setup.

17. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Thanks Anders. I like it!

18. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Thanks Spoggie. I think between what you and Anders posted, I know what I want to do. I also checked out some of your featured threads. The Friday night art show looks awesome! I didn't know about it. I'll check it out more later.

Spoggie and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I agree with y'all. Disc brakes are a reasonable concession to make. Unless you really are making a period piece.

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  20. gene-koning

gene-koning

The disc brake thing was something I learned a long time ago. The first hot rod I ever built had way more go then it had stop. About the second night out with it, I had an encounter that scared the crap out of me, I was lucky, only my undershorts got damaged. The following day better brakes was on the hot rod. After that single event, better brakes is usually the 1st thing I do to old car & trucks. Gene

21. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Shopping for more disc conversion kits, and spending more virtual money.

But but but, this set is Wilwoods, and they have really sexy calipers and drilled rotors.

It's only money, right? :rolleyes:

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

Money is simply a substance that allows us to get the things we need or want. As long as we don't place the things we want above the things we need in the priorities of using money, we are good.

23. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

My needs are simple.

My wants are all over the place.

Fortunately, my earning capacity is better than ever and I seem to have found a job which I like and they like me. And there's not much competition to do what we do. I can see my way clear here for many years to come.

So, I'm guessing that there will be a proportioning valve in my relatively near future.

24. gene-koning

gene-koning

I finely found a job I really like as well, its called R E T I R E M E N T. I've been working it for a couple years now, I'm just now getting fully adjusted to it. It only took me 48 years to find it.

I did kind of like the welding shop owner thing I did for 28 years before that though.
    Sorry, I just had to do that. Gene

chryslerfan55 and X-cpe like this.
  25. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I'm not offended. I like work, I'm good at this, and I'm doing the best work I've done in my life. This job lets me go places and fund my wants. Who knows, I may have wants that I haven't even thought of yet.

If I were to retire, I'd probably start flipping houses or the like.

But I could fix car projects more quickly, so there's that.

26. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

20210414_182301.jpg 20210414_182246.jpg
    I pulled the 3rd member to paint the inside of the body and the frame. It is getting closer. Please forgive the homemade sub frame for the body. I couldn't afford a new one, so I made my own.
    The scissor jack is what operates the flip top body.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and AndersF like this.
  27. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I was livng in VA when I got a long-term job assignment to KY. That's where the Packards are - in the landlady's hay house with her - and the cat's - permission. I'm in VA this weekend to take care of some business here. I'd have rather been there.. But I have collected a bushel of hand tools to take back since I'll be needing them there.

I started tearing into the eight last weekend, and I lubed a bunch of fasteners to be ready for wrenches when I next get to it. This weekend coming . . . .

28. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Sometimes the amount of alcohol might be involved!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. Yes, I used a 1" scotchbrite roloc disc in a hand held drill. Did it freehand because I think it looks more "alive"
    Yes fenders on the front too - also using bicycle forks as stays
    Wheelbase is long at 112" (hood is 15" longer than a standard T)

30. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I like the turned look, too. Glad that it seems simple enough to take a whack at.

Regarding brakes upgrades. Looks like if one changes the front system to discs, that a proportioning valve will be necessary, and likely an adjustable one because of the (somewhat likely) system mismatch. Also, if you have a low-mounted master cylinder, it looks like a couple of residual valves will be required, too.

I found this article:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-...valves-and-what-your-brake-system-needs/31069