Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My scrap pile had a baby!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Reddog sawmill, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

20190922_152430.jpg Hello there! First post but I've been lurking for a while now and really enjoying all of the accumulated knowledge not to mention bad ass cars on here. I had a crazy idea to build a LOW budget hotrod from scavenged parts, basically what I could pick up cheap on Craigslist. I have been in the gathering stage for the past year and a half or so and now I'm starting to put something together. I'm definitely going for the traditional hotrod look but may have to cut a few corners because of budget reasons but it WILL NOT be a ratrod!. Basically I got a 30/31 sport coupe cowel, 30/31 sedan rear section and some 4 door sedan doors that I suspect came from either a Lincoln or Oakland. Help identifying the doors would be appreciated. All came together to make some sort of vickey looking think that I am very happy with. I really think the proportions are perfect. I love vickey's but not a huge fan of tudor sedans (just personal preference). It's being channeled 4" over a model a frame with a slight chop for an East coast vibe maybe even a 39 truck grill shell of I can find one. Thinking about a Chevy straight 6 for power, easy to find parts for yet still a little out of the norm. Not sure how often I will update this but I am motivated to finish it at the moment. Thanks for looking!

2. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job piecing it together. Do the best you can with the skills and money you have and you will have a lot of interest from folks on here. An inline six will likely extend your wheelbase (kind of ratroddy to some, me included) unless you heavily modify the firewall and sacrifice foot room. Good luck with the build.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Fun stuff

Deuces likes this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The good to thng is you can set your seat back if you inset the firewall. To me , ic you extend the wheelbase the ride may be better but you need to flow the hood .

Deuces likes this.

5. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

Thanks for the replies guys. My thought is that since the body is shorter than average I can set it further back on the chassis giving more room for the engine without extending the wheel base. I already have a 3" extended hood top if I decide to go that route. I'm not really married to the idea of running a straight 6 though.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You will have people scratching their heads and arguing over what it is when you're finished! Can't wait to see what else you're going to do with it. Fun!

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB, nice project. At a quick glance it looks like a 26-27 T Tudor, I like the short back quarter. Bob

8. cool....keep the 6cyl idea....they've been around a looooong time.

Deuces likes this.
  9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too much fun!!!

Deuces likes this.
  10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Will the rear doors be operational?
    If so, a small width homemade pillar between the front and rear doors may help the look slightly.

11. cederholm

cederholm

grooovy!

Deuces likes this.
  12. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

The rear doors will not be functional they will be welded solid to the rear section. While I am happy overall with the proportions I think they will improve when I chop it. How much chop do you guys think I should do? It's already getting a 4 inch channel so I think a mild chop would be best. Maybe 3"?

13. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

Also can anybody help me identify the doors? They match the profile of the door jamb on the cowel but the hinges on the doors were different than the cowel and they didn't line up either so I had to make new ones. Also as you can see it only has one body line whereas all the 30/31 model a's know of have 2 and the one it does have doesn't line up with the cowel. I'll post pictures in the next couple of days on how I fix that problem...hopefully.

14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome to the H.AM.B. Good project there.
    I started a project much like that in 1992 utilizing 4 29 Tudor doors, a closed cab back, a tudor header-A pillar cowl and gas tank. The bed was smooth sided and the whole set up sat on a AA frame and had a 9” Ford rear end and a Magnum 4” Dropped Axle.

This became an unfinished project that was listed and sold here on the H.A.M.B.in The classifieds about 3 yrs ago by a guy that I worked for back in 92.
    You look like you have a great start. As I seem to recall that even though the truck that I was building had a financial shortfall, I really liked where it was headed.
    There happened to be a dark blue metallic one that beat us to the punch then several more. The owner lost interest and it became still born.
    Follow your dream and enjoy it when it’s completed.

15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I love builds that use what you got. You said you like Vicky's and not sedans, it looks like a sedan to me. Vicky's have a bussel on the back. Keep up the progress!

16. Jcutts

Jcutts

I saw that you may be looking for some roadster parts too, shoot me a message, I have stuff I’m selling. I can’t start a message from the app.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  17. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

I am definitely interested but for some reason I'm not able to send a message either.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Neither of you have the 10 posts required to start a conversation, just keep posting back and forth, you're almost there ;)

Budget36, Deuces and stanlow69 like this.
  19. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

Oh ok thank you

Deuces likes this.
  20. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

So as jcutts mentioned earlier I am looking for roadster parts now to start a new project. I'm not giving up on the Frankenstein tudor though. I have however given up the straight 6 chevy idea in favor of either the 401 nailhead I picked up or one of the 3 flatheads I have gathered since I posted on here last.

21. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

Hopefully once I gather enough roadster parts I can just post my progress on here since it will also be a scrap pile baby.

Deuces likes this.
  22. indyjps

indyjps

Good project. Are you planning on a hood ? Keep in mind everyone has gotten used to fords as the proportion, but many of the cars of the era( higher end cars) had much longer hoods.

Keep posting, I wanna see where you take this one.

23. I love the junk pile builds

Deuces likes this.
  24. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

Yes I will be running a hood on the sedan. A buddy has a Vicky and the proportions are very similar to the sedan I'm building despite the lack of a bustle on my car. I'm planning on a 32 or at least 32 style windshield header for that car.

25. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Be careful with your junk pile, they have a habit of procreating even more projects!

Sounds really good, especially with a 6. Are you thinking 2 pedals or 3?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. WIDE BOX BENNY

WIDE BOX BENNY

NICE!

27. A Boner

A Boner

I would skip the channel.
    448A6336-1ED3-4EF9-B96E-DAE3410A55B0.png

X38, dana barlow, fiftyv8 and 6 others like this.
  28. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

That is the very rare 1930 Mercury Torpedo Saloon

29. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

I love that car and it looks perfect not channeled. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to channel a nice car but I dont feel bad taking some artistic license on my car since I'll have to completely build the sub floor anyway.

30. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER