Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I bought a '32 roadster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

I love everything about that car. Good for you!!

loudbang, cretin and Stogy like this.
  2. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Love the color change, now get that horse out of your car before it tears it up! Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like the wheel color change a lot! Is it by accident or design that you pick great backgrounds just a half hour or so outside of Burbank? Most people on the East Coast think of the LA area as over populated and covered with Freeways. That is the first shot I've seen of the new shop, is it a lot bigger than the old one? What shade of black will the body be?

Bob

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Great to see you enjoying the roadster. The new black wheels are perfect.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    -Brent-, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. cretin

cretin

I am planning to use guide headlights. I would say they would be period for '63, they are on Troy's Barn find '32 that was last registered in '61. He has the 682-J's which don't have the light on top.
    Those last photos are from the high desert, quite dry, but nice at the right time of year. A very narrow window. Haha.

6. cretin

cretin

Still no major design changes to report. I had planned to work on the exhaust on Friday, but I've been dealing with a total bullshit situation with the state regarding my debris removal with the garage situation, so I just didn't have the motivation. However, I did take the car into the shop on Saturday.

But, the previous week, when we were all messing with the car, we noticed the ladder bar bushings were completely gone. So, I decided the priorities on Saturday would be the fuel sender, the ladder bar bushings, and as long as we were messing with the suspension, the bachelor lean. I had noticed that the car was leaning to the driver side, and the axle was slightly shifted towards the passenger side. I thought there was a chance that the spring center bolt wasn't in the locating hole in the crossmember. So, after removing the ladder bars, replacing the bushings, and reinstalling them, I made sure to get the spring and crossmember aligned. It made no change besides that the rear end seems to be more centered. So, that continues to be on the list.
    After dealing with it all, I didn't think I had the time to deal with the exhaust, so I saved that for another day. Maybe this Friday or Saturday.

On the way to the shop Saturday, I lost a hubcap. I heard it leave, stopped and walked around, but couldn't find it. I'm thinking of going with '40 standard hubcaps instead. This photo is where I stopped to try to find the hubcap.

IMG_2885.jpg
    These photos are from taking the scenic route home.

IMG_2886.jpg IMG_2887.jpg

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Hotrod territory and a great de-stressor having a nice drive from town to get home...

Sounds like you nailed some important fixes...funny I thought of the California Kid looking at that scenery with the dry hills and winding road...keep an eye out for that Sheriff behind the Bilboard...;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  8. alchemy

alchemy

My 32 sedan has a list, and a list. Probably always will. I've worked on each list before, but sometimes other things take priority.

I think the hubcap fell off because the new paint on the wheels is too shiny. Slipped right off. ;)

9. cretin

cretin

So, last week the roadster developed a speed wobble. At about 60 mph it would start. It wasn’t terrible, but shouldn’t be happening.
    I noticed that my shackle bushings were decimated, so I was hoping that was the cause.
    I ordered new bushings and got the car in the shop today and swapped out the bushings.
    Unfortunately, while it was desperately needed, it did not fix the speed wobble.

Once I was safely back home I did some more investigating. Everything on the front suspension and steering feels tight. I do however feel a small amount of play in one of the hubs. So I’m thinking that’s the culprit.
    Since I want to change the front brakes anyway, and the kit comes with hubs, I think it’s time to make the swap.
    I didn’t really want to spend the money on it at this time, but what the hell?

I also got some new hubcaps for the car since I lost one of the old ones a couple weeks ago. Went with ‘40 caps.
    Here are some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. alchemy

alchemy

Polish that chrome , man!

shortypu, Stogy, Jim Bouchard and 3 others like this.
  11. cretin

cretin

Haha! I know! I did clean it up a bit after the photos, but it definitely needs more attention.

12. My wife would call that a sweet ride, thanks for sharing the card trick, I have never seen that before.

RustyBullet, shortypu, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

My sincere condolences on your losses as well as congrats on scoring the roadster!
    Question: Did those bronze shackle bushings go right in (with persuasion) or did you have to ream them or anything?

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. badshifter

badshifter

Wow Kyle, hadn't seen this thread until tonight. Glad the pendulum is swinging the other way for you! Congrats on the 32. Looking great.

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Damn I love that car!!!! Lippy

Stogy, loudbang and cretin like this.
  16. SPEC

SPEC

great Roadster.

Stogy, loudbang and cretin like this.
  17. cretin

cretin

Thank you! The bushings are actually a bit looser than I would like in the spring. They fit perfectly in the perches with no modification.

Thanks John! I wish the pendulum was swinging my way as far as the garage rebuild situation. The state is screwing me right now, but I'll get through it. At least I've got a roadster for when I need to get away!

18. cretin

cretin

And speaking of getting away, here are a few photos of doing just that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Making your own history.Love it.

cretin and loudbang like this.
  20. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Another hamb-er had a similar looser than he would like spring bushing using the plastic type, what provider might I ask provided the bronze bushings ? In all fairness the issue seems to be that the roll of the spring eyes vary greatly. Perhaps knurling of the internal eye or the bushings proper much like is done on valve guides could be a fix, or of course using slightly oversize bushings or tubing machined to size. Nice car by the way. Ron

21. banjorear

banjorear

Awesome car. Love it.

Did you check the wheel bearings? I had a front wheel/hub that wasn't spinning true when on the car. Drove me nuts. I assumed it was the hub, but finally dawned on it was the bearings that were bad.

Change the bearings and use a dial gauge to check trueness of the hub helps as well.

Just a thought.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  22. cretin

cretin

Thanks Ron.
    I got the bushings from McMaster Carr.
    Yea, those are all viable solutions. I’m going to leave it as is right now. I’m sure it’s fine, I just get picky about stuff sometimes.

Thanks!
    I did not check the wheel bearings. My plan was to just swap out the hubs and bearings with the ones that come with the brake kit.
    However, I learned that it’ll be 3-4 weeks before I get the kit as they are waiting on a part for the kit from the foundry.
    I wanted to get this taken care of before my dad comes to visit in mid May, so it looks like I will be doing some more investigating on the current setup.

23. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

Great looking roadster. I'm partial to the '40 Standard hubcaps as well. Had them on a '47 Coupe that I recently had to let go. They go good with ribbed trim rings. Good decision about getting a running car that you can enjoy. Projects can be fun, but nothing can beat having a running car. I like your idea about going with a full hood.

24. RustyBullet

RustyBullet

cretin and loudbang like this.
  25. cretin

cretin

I was able to get the car into the shop today to investigate the speed wobble. Upon inspection I discovered that the little bit of wiggle I was feeling that I thought might be in the hubs, was actually in my lower kingpin bushings. I popped some new lower bushings in. I didn't want to completely disassemble the brakes right now, so I wasn't able to use the pilot piece to align the reamer. So, instead I just freehand reamed it. As a result, the kingpins are a little bit tight, but my speed wobble is gone.
    I will replace all the bushings and ream them correctly in a few weeks when I do the front brake swap.

During the process I accidentally hit my passenger side brake line and broke it off the caliper. Bonehead move. Luckily we had a spare line at the shop. It's a bit long, but it got me home.
    After I got those issues fixed, I wanted to make a fun change on the car. The car just had a basic round black shift knob with the shift pattern in white on it, and I wanted something cooler. I picked up an interesting bakelite shift knob, and a coin to set into it.
    I made a nice little shouldered brass thread adapter, and then machined the knob to accept the coin and glued it in there. I'm pretty happy with the results.

IMG_2963.jpg
    IMG_2952.jpg
    IMG_2964.jpg
    IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2966.jpg

26. loudbang

loudbang

Cool shifter knob. :)

oliver westlund, cretin and Stogy like this.
  27. v8flat44

v8flat44

Very N I C E !!! BUT, why, oh why, isn't it mine !!!! ????

cretin, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. I might have left the wheels and thought about painting the car. Big fan of bakelite, love the car, and that you are letting us come along for the ride.

cretin likes this.
  29. A Boner

A Boner

Should have put the hubcaps on while the paint was still wet!

30. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great pix!!!!!!---------Great deal!!----What color in the future?----Looks like a real "Driver".
    After 6 years of building mine, finally on the road in 1968, now have over 300,000 happy miles of "line chasing".