Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Installing wheel covers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Is there a proper way to install new full wheel covers other than pounding them on with a rubber mallet?

Couple of times I've dented these trying to pound them on...

2. Yup, what @302GMC said.

it’s a learned pain in the ass art of fumbling and bumbling with some full wheel covers.
    Some times what works is putting your forearm across one side and hitting the opposite side with your palm.
    It’s a game of getting one side on and one side pops off until it magically clips one and becomes one with the wheel.

I’ve tried a rubber mallet and a stack of rags, a cut up pool noodle, thick carpet underpad, my hand !!
    As a kind of shock absorber between the mallet and the wheel cover.

My Chrysler imperial covers went on super easy
    My Lincoln covers brought me to tears and stop working on cars forever.

no real steadfast rule on this one, everyone has a technique.

vtx1800, Frankie47 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  3. I used to do it with my hands but arthritis has made that difficult and painful...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. What full wheel covers are we talking about? Are they for the Thunderbird? :D

5. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I use the palm of my hand. It has always worked well for me. Never damaged a wheel cover with this method.
    Are you mounting new wheel covers? If so this could be part of the problem if the new wheel covers are incorrect for the wheels. The lip on OEM steel wheels will vary for a given diamater.

6. Actually these are "flipper" wheel covers. The original T Bird wheel covers did nothing for me. I've already got one on, so it is doable. Guess I just need to take my time and endeavor to persevere...

VANDENPLAS and guthriesmith like this.
  7. Those will look better than the originals. Can’t wait to see the change once you get them all on.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

9. egads

egads

This tool work's well-[​IMG]

TagMan and guthriesmith like this.
  10. I found one of those along the side of the road, but haven't tried it yet.

engine138 likes this.
  11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if there is a slight variation in the mounting surface on wheels that causes some of the problems? I wanted to mount Studebaker wheelcovers on my Streamline trailer (The S in the middle could stand for Streamline:)
    I was able to get one mounted but have since given up mounting any of the other three after numerous attempts. The Streamline wheels appear to be Chevy six bolt pickup wheels (possibly) so maybe they are just a tad thicker? Just a thought (or question?)

Beanscoot likes this.
  12. atomickustom

atomickustom

I have put a dozen different kinds on my '53 over the last 20 years. Same wheels. Some you can line up and just shove them on with both hands at once. I try that first. Some you need to get one side clipped then whack the other side home with one hand. And some you chase around in circles with a rubber mallet over and over before they truly settle flat.
    The main thing I have learned is to hit them in a few inches from the edge, never right edge. I can't remember which ones but at least one I hit dead center to seat it.

Sent from my SM-T290 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.