Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Frenzel Supercharged Ford 1936 3 Window Coupe-Chopped Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TWO9FORD, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yikes!
    It looks like the wishbones come together and are bolted together with a common bolt through a solid lug?
    That is not good at all. No give, no allowance for twist, no bearing surface...
    It needs at least a johnny joint or something to articulate at the front. (As the original torque tube did)

Outback, lewk, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  2. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 on the above, have a look how the original wishbones are built and you'll see what the fellas mean. It needs to articulate at that point, not just pivot like the current design as one side will rise more than the other.

lewk, Stogy, TWO9FORD and 1 other person like this.
  3. TWO9FORD

TWO9FORD

A little more progress... got the generator mount knocked out, installed coil and fuel block, and bent the radiator supports to go around the carbs... should have it purrrin in a couple of day... next is a belt tensioner, fuel and oil filter lines, gas pedal, and wire it-fire it! 20210401_093743.jpeg 20210401_103120.jpeg 20210406_163919.jpeg 20210406_163931.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j hansen, hfh, KiWinUS and 9 others like this.
  4. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

That is an awesome build

5. TWO9FORD

TWO9FORD

Couple more pics... fuel and oil filter lines done. Removed the straight radiator hose ends to curve down... should be running next week! Cant wait! received_283133576853442.jpeg received_566219317687990.jpeg FB_IMG_1618850048353.jpeg received_934335390716419.jpeg

40two, winduptoy, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2021-4-21_11-25-35.png
    It's a given that this will fail within a short period of time.

lewk, justabeater37 and HotRodWorks like this.
  7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I feel as though any movement of the rear suspension will apply a rotational force on the ends of the radius rods. I know that the movement is quiet small at that end, but it is still a twisting motion, and may lead to metal fatigue over time. Allowing the mounting point to flex will minimize this. A four bar bush type of mount or a heim joint-type of mount may do the trick.

Outback, lewk, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  8. Spectacular attention to detail.

TWO9FORD likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

I think the easiest fix for his rear wishbone problem would be to cut the tab off, put a doubler plate on that bottom plate, then drill a hole straight down to bolt in a Johnny Joint. It would allow the needed rotational movement with no binding at all.

Outback, lewk, HellsHotRods and 3 others like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wow what a build. No idea how I’ve missed it this long! Thanks for the tip Ryan!

winduptoy, loudbang and TWO9FORD like this.
  11. Wow! what a neat car!

winduptoy, loudbang and TWO9FORD like this.
  12. Wow! Beautiful.
    Don't you want even a short length of rubber hose in the fuel lines to absorb vibration? I would think the lines or the connections would fatigue over time and if not completely fail, then leak. Leaking fuel on a hot engine es no bueno.

TWO9FORD and X38 like this.
  13. TWO9FORD

TWO9FORD

I will look further into it but it isnt any different then the open driveline kit they sell online?
    https://www.hotrodworks.com/product...EN7OcWdNHLA1meVQlOTy5h_oOR9Gi-iQhkc3PQSACD-SU
    1153-TORQUE-ARM.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

That kit has nothing to do with how the front of the arms are mounted to the frame. That kit is only triangulating the top of the center section to the other two arms.

You need something like this: https://www.hotrodworks.com/product/1935-1940-ford-radius-rod-mount-kit/

Do a test. Stick a jack under one of the rear wheels and jack it up. Poke your head under there and see if you can spot anything twisting at that front mount. If the wheel doesn't easily raise, you know something is binding. The other wheel should remain firmly on the ground.

Outback and HellsHotRods like this.
  15. ibflyin

ibflyin
    from Tulsa, OK

Great build-thank you for sharing your progress!

loudbang likes this.
  16. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This set up works and is proven. Notice the heims on the front with high travel spacers close at the front pivoting near the U joint centerline.
    10427317_706049559399_5419786008211529502_n_zpsu7mxqaba.jpg

17. TWO9FORD

TWO9FORD

Thank you guys. I will work on it when I get the car back next week.

Outback, winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  18. TWO9FORD

TWO9FORD

Isn't that to split the front?

loudbang likes this.
  19. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

It amazes me, people you are replacing a Heavy duty torque tube ( engineered by FORD ) with a single small diameter shaft of steel. The torque tube was there to prevent the axle from twisting forward and backwards. Wishbones on the bottom can bent easily ( I have seen this) by adding a similar wishbone to the top connected to the same or close point you will prevent the twisting. That's why they made ladder bars for open drive-line hot rods. 80.JPG

winduptoy likes this.
  20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Thought the same thing when I saw Ryan's lead photo of the finished engine. That engine is going to rev, vibrate independently of the firewall/body and eventually shear that soft copper line and lead to instant fire. Shame to have to break up that copper work. Possibly you can have a shop that makes automotive A/C lines, etc. make up something similar to a flex brake line with fitted/treaded ends so you don't ruin the looks with a cheap ass length of rubber line w/ hose clamps?

Fantastic build! Love it and can't wait to see it finished!

21. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

No. That is to mount the rear radius rods. The first part you showed was a torque arm. The torque arm you built is good. However, the radius rods need to pivot and swivel to follow the articulation of the rear axle. Originally, the radius rods were solidly mounted to the torque tube housing, but the torque tube housing was able to pivot and swivel in the back of the transmission. You need to build a mount that allows the radius rods to pivot and swivel. Something like our “Radius Rod mount kit” shown in the prior post.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Lars Bonsse

Lars Bonsse
    from Sweden

Just amazing car. Congrats to you. Lars

TWO9FORD, winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  23. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones
    from Canada

Great chop!

TWO9FORD and winduptoy like this.
  24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's make sure that it isn't copper clad hydraulic line or heavy wall ACR tubing . It has extended ferrules and AN fittings. The coiled line will allow for flex. I agree, the comment is made looking out for the safety of the owner and the wellbeing of his investment in time and money. The fit-up is beautiful!!!

TWO9FORD, loudbang and dirty old man like this.
  25. TWO9FORD

TWO9FORD

Boost gauge line is done.... really liking the look of it.... FB_IMG_1619221898647.jpeg FB_IMG_1619221915523.jpeg IMG_20210423_170752_786.jpeg FB_IMG_1619221931446.jpeg

26. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I know the car is finished now & there is another post, but this is a very kool hot rod, shame I won't see it in person!