Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Problem with Ceramic wax and 1-shot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1953girlracer, Apr 21, 2021.

?

What do your on ceramic wax products

Poll closed Apr 28, 2021.
  1. Nothing but cleaning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Additive of choice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

I was attempting to stripe a Harley and my 1-shot bubbled. I asked the customer and he had just done a ceramic wax on the bike. Any suggestions other than cleaning off the ceramic wax?

2. was and grease remover, repeatedly

dana barlow likes this.
  3. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

Customer doesn’t want wax removed at all and go work on your race car

hotrodjack33 and dana barlow like this.
  4. I think he is outta luck then! That ceramic is crazy stuff. And I would love to be working on the race car, just getting all the building materials out of the shop!

5window and 1953girlracer like this.

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Tell him, paint won't stick to wax.

6. Not sure anything will stick without removing the wax first. He should of considered the stripes before the wax.

Lloyd's paint & glass and egads like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Prep-sol on any surface before One-Shot has always worked for me. If the guy doesn’t want to remove any wax/coating etc: tell him to find another spripper..

egads likes this.
  8. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

I agree and now he will either remove wax or have someone do vinyl stickers. I had requested remove wax before painting. His loss. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

what is the big deal about removing wax from a bike finish? It' not like de waxing a limo...

blowby and guthriesmith like this.
  10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He sounds like one of those idiot customers that are a problem before, during and after the job:eek:. Send him packing.;)

11. Some of those ceramic finishes are BIG $$$$$

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"All that shineth's not gold..." (Little Junior Parker, probably 'borrowed')

Budget36 likes this.
  13. One of my good clients is a body shop that is also a Ceramic-Pro dealer. I asked them if there was any special chemical I might need to buy to remove it in case I had to repair the stripes on it or add stripes. I did this because back when dealers were using Polyglycoat on automobiles you needed to use a solvent called,"Polycracker" to remove it prior to striping.
    Their response was that the only way to remove Ceramic Pro is to sand it off and re-buff the finish. This only applies to that product;I don't know exactly what is used on other ceramic finishes. In my opinion it's just another product to f**k up painters.

Tman, hotrodjack33 and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Charge him for your time and tell him to get that Harley out of your shop.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  15. So does the ceramic wax hold up to wax and grease remover? I clean everything i stripe with prep-sol before i touch it. Never crossed my mind about this new fancy wax.

16. Gotta wonder to if there is any difference to remove the stuff if it was out of a bottle from the parts store or applied by a shop with their method.

17. At the risk of hijacking this thread, has anyone used Dupli-Color® Automotive Multi-Purpose Foaming Prep Cleaner? Says it will remove wax but I doubt that would include this ceramic stuff.

18. I sold one shot for many years to sign painters & pinstripers and most times when they had adhesion problems could be traced to the surface not being clean, a wax or grease remover is a must if the paint is going to stick.

Guys around here liked to use the small paper cups but we learned that a few guys were using the waxed solo cups and were blaming the one shot for their adhesion problems.

Consumer Paint in Gary, Indiana issued a warning to all their dealers about using the waxed cups. HRP

Tman and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  19. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

Applied by a shop

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I do know you can have problems applying urethane clear over one shot, same crackling or bubbling. Especially if the urethane is fresh. I would bet there is a certain amount of silicone in the ceramic coating. One shot enamel does not like urethane or silicone. Thats a tough deal right there. Contamination is very hard to get rid of. Lippy