Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Ford Delivery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mustang Sally ‘66, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Looking into a project for my start-up business. Not sure if this is a smart way to go or to find something closer to complete. No engine, no tranny, no diff. Basically the shell with no fixtures.

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. I'd buy something finished,, with a new start up business.. That could eat up a lot of cash fast...

3. Thanks for the advice. I’m in here hoping for some good advice as I navigate this adventure.

4. Well, if using it for business you should have a tax write-off so that would improve the cash-flow a bit....

5. What's the purpose of the purchase? To showcase your skills? For advertising on those big side panels? To attract attention driving around? For a shop truck?

Answers for those will help with what level of project to get.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stillrunners likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

just so you'll know, that's a Panel Truck. There was also a Sedan Delivery made at that time, it is based on a car.

The words mean something to many old car guys.

7. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Lots Of Work And Time So Think It Over...IMHO... 1611419434_79df58e414.jpg

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We started a photography business when we were 20 somethings. We had the talent and purchased the necessary stuff to be self sufficient in our photography needs. Everything for running a business including all of the developing stuff. We kept careful receipts on everything. It was going great and included a couple of tax write offs for businesses in the home and all of the necessary supplies.

We had an El Camino that was used 90 % of the time and our tax guy said that if we put something on the doors, it would qualify for a tax write-off. I asked about a magnetic sign on each door and one on the tailgate. (Covering all of our bases) at the time magnetic signs qualified for a business tax write off, but later on, the gov’t eliminated that write off. People were using their family cars with signs on them, then taking the signs off for personal use at normal cruising or vacation usage.

Since we had a reliable El Camino for our road trip/photo shoots, we did not want to spend time building something to take away from the photography. That was the core of the business and a cool hot rod build, as much fun as it would have been, would have taken up all of our valuable time. It was better to see what we could get a running hot rod and finish it to our needs.

By the time we purchased a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with a 327, it was now not ok for magnetic signs for business advertisements, but could still take any car’s registration off for tax purposes. Crazy laws. By 1986, that tax deduction was also thrown out. So, finally, what qualified for a full tax write off for a business? a nice sign on the sides of the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, whether it was the doors and rear door, or just the rear side panels or all of the empty places.
    upload_2021-4-21_4-9-40.png
    As much as we love our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and went to a lot of car shows, picnics and other hot rod gatherings, we just could not see ourselves driving around with some advertising on the side of the sedan delivery. My wife drove the sedan delivery as it had a great A/C and that was the only car with that coolness. So, she said she did not want guys stopping to ask about photography or the business. She just like the A/C and driving something different to visit her friends or run some errands.

Jnaki

upload_2021-4-21_4-10-22.png If your business is related to hot rods, this cool looking sedan delivery was for sale a while back and had just about everything ready for a fledgling business in any arena.

Having owned two 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery hot rods, what is left? This Blue Sedan Delivery has all of the stuff we like and would think about purchasing it. A sedan delivery just has that look that says hot rod. Except for the fact that the passenger blind spot and the two person only, drivability created enough of a problem for us that we sold the last sedan delivery before its time. But, family came first.

Our last tax guy said that any painted on sign or information about the business directly on the hot rod or vehicle is one way to take a business deduction off on the year’s tax laws. It is not the cost of the paint, sign paint job or the value of the old hot rod. Is it just a certain amount for business expenses.

So, for anyone starting, there is too much to get organized for the actual business itself. Any time away from the actual business hurts the intended business. building an old panel truck from scratch just does not cut it for a “starting out” business. Get to the core of the business first, make it viable, then start adding other things to make it attractive. Priorities are a necessity. Old hot rod building first will take too much of your time before the business is off of the ground.

Photography is not just going out and shooting cars at a Cars and Coffee event. Back then it was planning out what, when and where the actual photos would be taking place. Also, how they were going to be used. There was always a built in clientele for actual mounted and unmounted photos to give for customer service.

Plus, if the hot rod guy wanted more, then the cost was built in to the service we provided. If the hot rod or custom motorcycle got into the magazines, they got some notoriety and we got a little photo credit. It helped in the business end when people noticed that you do good work.
    upload_2021-4-21_4-12-14.png

This printed card got us started with public relations at car shows, hot rod picnics, hot rod gatherings and other locations. Then as the clients grew, so did the ability to expand the business.

This is the last card found in one of those old glove box clean outs, during those photo journalist days. Saturday, it was found in another small box inside of a different family memorabilia container. This is the last of its kind in memories.

The photo card represented not only hot rods and customs, but I was delving into surf photography and photojournalism on that end of the spectrum. But, as I found out, I thought the hot rod/custom cars/motorcycles editorial staff was tough. The surf industry was much more specialized using their own photographers, with very few photos accepted for stories from outside photographers.

That card represented a 20-30 year chapter in photos/ hot rods /surfing /motorcycles, travels, etc. Each bit of memorabilia helps stimulate the tired old brain cells.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  9. A business will eat up a lot of your time/energy/efforts/cash..same could be said about that Panel project.
    No one knows your situation better than you..worth giving some serious thought.
    Good luck.

Budget36 likes this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Life, kids, marriage all take up a lot of time and money. Oh, then there’s that danged job a lot of folks have to go to daily. But many find time to build cars, trucks, or many other hobbies.
    I think what kinda of business you have would dictate what you need the truck to look like or become.
    That would tell you what level you need to take the build too, right? Assuming the body is straight and rot free, you could do the old fall back and have it blasted, matte paint and lettered. Drive train doesn’t need to be anything special.
    I liken your post to when school kids come on asking about building a car, you get a bunch of replies saying “finish school, get that education, then buy one”.
    You can kill yourself doing 7 16 hours days on your business, or take one of those days and relieve some stress and work in the garage/shop.

Mustang Sally ‘66 likes this.
  11. Hi.

thank you so much for taking the time to write that story. I sincerely appreciate the advice and just hearing about your start!

I think you are right about the time and also money spent into a fixer. There are some pretty nice rides out there, and if I am patient...maybe the right one will come along at the right price.

The idea started when I saw one for sale, but it was just a shell. I love old cars and the idea of fixing it up was romantic. With two small kids, a job which takes me away often, a husband with many of his own hobbies, and trying to start a business...time and attention are problems.

What a beautiful car! And I can appreciate being a photographer is more than just snapping pictures. My training partner at work started a photography business while we are on voluntary leave for Covid...he has had a number of pictures published in top fashion mags and it is impressive! I don’t have an eye for pictures, sadly...so, I’m impressed by those who can capture what is so clear in my eye.

The reason I picked a 1940s Ford Panel truck is because our logo is just that remade into an ambulance. So, the idea to use this for marketing, take her to car meets and network...our business model is all about partnerships and networking to build our vision. I’ll attach below.

Thanks again for taking time to write! Stay tuned as the journey continues.

MS 66

jnaki likes this.
  12. My business is a website which links first responders with subscribers’ info about pets, people and hazards in the home. Our name is Save Our Sunshine or SOS. And our logo is a 1940s Ford Panel Truck turned ambulance. We aren’t live yet, but extremely close.

The purpose of the vehicle is to serve as a marketing tool, but I truly love old cars...which is why our logo is what it is. And we would love to drive it to events, car related and ones sponsored by us. We are supporting animal rescue from high kill shelters in the south with profits.

Our dream is to make our website not just serve a purpose to protect the things that matter most in your home, but to be a site people go to for community...other pet enthusiasts or car enthusiasts. We hope to hire vets and have paid high school internships for kids to find direction...we have a blog where people can read stories of rescue or a number of other thought-provoking, feel good articles...and the merch page with our logos in products where 100% proceeds go to animal rescue groups where we sponsor dogs to escape the needle. We are building partners and relationships. And this project and story was another Avenue to network, share and market our story and service.

We have been working on a shoestring budget, where my partners are super smart friends with mad professional skills. We are a registered LLC and trademarked. Things are moving right along...despite the Covid distancing issues limiting our ability to get out and host events to build the beta test audience.

Hope that helps you understand the why and what. I appreciate the advice and thoughts of those who have knowledge in this area and maybe have ventured similar paths. Thanks!

13. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

That's a nice panel for sure. If the passenger side is as nice as the drivers side, you have a great start of something special. The doors and rear fenders are unique to the panel and are very tough to locate. Hopefully you have the running boards, as they are scarce for these also. Other than that, most of the truck parts are the same as the panels.
    Keep in mind there are two (actually three) different style front fenders used on these trucks. There are the front fenders with the smaller wheel opening (like you have, and are correct), there are fenders for the big trucks with the larger wheel openings (like the black panel shown and not correct) and front fenders for the big, big, trucks that are extra wide. I threw that in because many people don't know this and get the wrong style fenders, only to find out later that there are differences.
    Only other thing I can add is, I wish it were mine:D
    Good luck!

14. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I like the 46-8 Sedan deliverand have built a couple of them. They are reasonable to purchase in our are. sedan-delivery-fav002 (1).jpg DSC_0413 (2).jpg

Jim Bouchard and olscrounger like this.
  15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Bought this one for 5K and drove it home IMG_2714 (5).jpg IMG_2714 (5).jpg

Jim Bouchard and 31Apickup like this.