Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Ford Deluxe Project...so many questions

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by CJ101, Apr 20, 2021.

1. CJ101

CJ101

Hello! I'm new to the board, except that I have read piles of posts from across the decades on the Ford Shoebox's. Thank you everybody, you have no idea how much information I have used already! I'm currently rebuilding a 1951 Ford Deluxe. The plan is to focus on making it solid and reliable to start. I spent the entire winter doing sheet metal. Now I'm into frame and drive train. I bought it running but wanted to refresh the Flat Head V8. Well...cracks cracks and more cracks. I was temporarily heartbroken but have moved on. I did find a guy willing to try stitching the cracks up with no guarantees. So, maybe someday when I'm not so mad at it (the flatty) I will think about rebuilding. In the meantime I'm moving on to a SBC. I've got a cheap but running '87 305, a 1994 Ford explorer 8.8 rear end (about to shorten) and a rebuilt Camaro T5 with a Ford Tailstock. I have a Speedway hydraulic clutch kit on the way. I'm also currently waiting for my Jamco engine conversion mount kit. Once I get the Jamco kit, I'll rough in the motor. I know the oil pan will not clear. I figure at that time I will learn exactly what i am going to have to do oil pan-wise. Here's my first official request for help! I know a 62 to 67 chevy II/Nova pan will fit. But these are typically for two piece rear main seal engines. I have a one piece. I have read posts on here about Nova pans that work with the one piece rms engines but all the links are dead ends. My question is, will the aftermarket rear sump nova pans with the tunnel work? I figure just because a Nova pan works doesn't mean the linkage on a Ford Shoebox is in the exact same place and there for these rear sumps may not work? Anyway, thanks for all the free information I've found on here! Now that I'm a member I can start reading current threads and post too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  2. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. ! It looks like you will stay busy this summer putting the '51 together. :)

3. Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  4. CJ101

CJ101

Thanks for the reply. I'll search those threads some more. I have thought of a dropped linkage, which actually looks like a cleaner solution. My only concern is doing all the work and failing the safety inspection here in Ontario, where they measure things against "OEM Standard". On a 1951 it can be a bit subjective. If I could find one of the Hurst ones kicking around it would probably do the trick. I'm tempted to buy a spare center link and see how good a job I could get it to look like the Hurst pics on the net. I have months of work ahead of me anyway, so if I can't find a good solution to oil pan clearance I'll just use my sbc as a setup block and switch to a '85 or older engine with the Nova/Chevy 2 pan. The nice thing is you can pick these sbc's up for a few hundred and re-sell for a few hundred and you're only out the effort to move them around.

5. The Hurst drop would be great, but hard to come by.
    Give these guys a call to see if they still manufacturer the piece you need:
    https://www.fatmanfab.com/

6. CJ101

CJ101

I found this in Ontario's regulations. I think the key word is visibly weaken. No matter what, I can come up with a linkage assembly that looks and is tough enough for the job. I've reached out to Fatmanfab but if they can't help me, I think I'll give it a go.
    upload_2021-4-21_13-6-8.png

7. CJ101

CJ101

Thanks for all the info, Phil. I've got a few things to do to get organized in the shop, but I think I'll actually jump on this sooner than later, before I shorten the axle. I see Jamco still sells a drag link so if I ruin mine I can buy my way out of trouble.

8. CJ101

CJ101

I'm not holding out hope that Fatman still makes a dropped draglink but I think something like this will work. A piece of DOM 1" x 0.25" wall and some half inch plate will look professional and strong to boot. I just have to double check the actual required drop height once the Jamco mounts arrive and I can mock it up.

upload_2021-4-21_21-41-21.png