Register now to get rid of these ads!

Time for a new Carb.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by iwanaflattie, Nov 29, 2020.

1. hello...I hope everyone is having a great week.

I'm having problems with my carbs leaking after sitting for a while..
    It's time for a new carburetor.
    I'm running a centerbolt SBC in my 1951 coe with a 700r4 transmission,electric fuel pump and an aftermarket intake.
    Both the holleys 600s I bought started leaking after a while...

Can anyone recommend anything better?
    A link would be really appreciated since there's so many choices..
    Tia

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not familiar with your carbs but I can tell you holleys are good for leaking off residual pressure after the engine is shut down.
    I’d advise turning off your electric fuel pump before shutting off the ignition and see if that makes any difference.

61Cruiser likes this.
  3. I Holleys, but for the street, it has to be an Edelbrock, hands down. Quadrajets are great, but require extra attention due to them not being made for 30 some odd years. Throttle shaft bushings come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. 2 Holleys, an automatic, SBC and COE ?

Why not one Holley 670 vacuum secondary ?

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Summit 500-600-750 single piece bottom like a CarterAFB/Edelbrock. construction similar to the Ford carb of the mid sixties. Also made by a Holley at one time. Takes some Holley parts. By reviews, good right out of the box.

6. I forgot about those! I’ve only been around one, but it was very nice and ran great.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. I've had two holleys...both leaked..
    I'm looking at this one..
    The first two ,1 was a reconditioned started once then ran 7 years later and it leaked..
    The second was a "rebuilt"carb off offer up..
    I'm looking to buy this one:
    Screenshot_20201129-150855_eBay.jpg

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Seth, check your fuel pressure beforehand. That electric pump may be running too high.

9. Hi Petejoe,I have my pressure set at 5,anything less and the truck starts stumbling...

I ordered a new gas tank, (mustang type)
    New lines and a a new holley 1850..
    Going to see if that fixes my troubles

Petejoe likes this.
  10. I've had numerous Edelbrock carbs with no leaks, and no problems. Easy to adjust, simple to rebuild.
    Without float bowls hanging on the sides, leaking does not seem to be an issue...

11. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have a Holley 670 street avenger and runs very well right off the box (mild sbc).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  12. 1957partsman

1957partsman
    from colo.

Just installed new edelbrock AVS2! Incredible throttle responce! Wonderful carb!
    Sent from my SM-T720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. carbking

carbking

For street use, a spread-bore design is superior to a square-bore design. Smaller primary venturii for increased venturii air velocity. But to function correctly, any carburetor must be mated to the same style intake manifold (no spread/square adapters!).

Spread-bores include: Carter thermoquad (I have an 850 on my 350 and it runs like a scalded dog), Rochester Q-Jet, and the Holley 4165?? (not a Holley guy, so not not sure on the number).

You might further define your "leaking" problem. If you are talking about gasoline physically leaking out and puddling on the intake manifold, then yes, that is a leak, and should be addressed. However, many folks suggest that if the engine is hard to start after sitting for a few weeks that the carburetor leaked; and this is rarely true. Modern fuel evaporates through the bowl vents. The end-bowl Holley design has less of this issue than other types of carbs, as there is an air-gap between the heat of the intake and the carburetor bowls.

Jon.

14. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone ever see a 735 cfm Holley carb???.... It has the primaries of a 600 and the vacuum secondaries of a 750-800... And it has the standard Holley bolt pattern.... The one I have came off of '70 Chrysler with a 440..... I'll have to dig it up and post a few pictures of it....

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FE HP Fords used them too.

16. Deuces

Deuces

It should make for a very cool street carb once I rebuild it and tune it.....;)

17. falcon2

falcon2
    from michigan

18. Deuces

Deuces

I gotta find it again and look it up.... Where you at in Michigan???...