Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods gas sending unit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29moonshine, Apr 20, 2021.

1. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i put a[ tanks ] gas sending unit in my 29 chevy delivery it will work when you manually move it up and down, but when you put it in the tank it dose not work. it reads 1/8 of a tank no matter how much gas is in the tank. the ohms on the sender is correct for the gauge

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Take it out and use a 5 gallon bucket to ensure the float is working. The float may have pin hole and just sinks to the bottom of it's travel.

May be a bad ground as well. Make sure the sender has a ground lead directly to the chassis and you are not relying on mounting straps or something similar to carry the ground current.

3. Agree with FROZENMERC

4. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Either that or it is not grounding properly

5. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i did the float test it works in the bucket. the gauge reads right as you lower it in the bucket but when you put it in the tank it reads 1/8

6. greybeard360

greybeard360

Probably hitting the side of the tank when you put it in or a baffle.

HotRod33 likes this.
  7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

If the ground is good ,it has to be hung up ,if so you can bend the arm or shorten the rod. or clock the unit on the tank. Can we see a pic , i love deliveries.

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

The float lever must be contacting something inside of your tank, either the sides or top of the tank, or a fill tube, or the fuel pickup tube, or an internal baffle. Something is keeping the float lever from moving up and may well keep it from moving down as well.

Of course this is assuming that you really do have more then an 1/8 of a tank of fuel..... Gene

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I had similar and it turned out to be a bad earth. Remove gauge and bench test with sender to clarify.

winduptoy likes this.
  10. Works when you move it by hand. I will assume outside of the tank? When testing, are you using the same connections or "bench" testing?

11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I had the same problem twice, it was how it was indexed into the tank and it was hitting the side of the tank. Rotated it now all is good.

Tony

firstinsteele likes this.
  12. 29moonshine

29moonshine

thanks for all the ideas i rotated it about a 1/4 ". it is working now

13. 29moonshine

29moonshine

Attached Files:

harpo1313 and Budget36 like this.