Register now to get rid of these ads!

Antique Oldsmobile sign

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Dadn5kids, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Dadn5kids

Dadn5kids

I found someone that has an old Oldsmobile sign, as the picture shows. It's about 30" tall, 18" wide, not a reproduction. He wants me to make an offer on it. Any idea of possible value? No dents or dings in it, just the wear as can be seen in the picture.

Olds sign.png

Deuces and rotten ron like this.
  2. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

What is it made of?

Deuces likes this.
  3. Dadn5kids

Dadn5kids

It's tin/metal. heavy gauge

Deuces likes this.
  4. Looks like a really nice sign. Quite expensive probably. I don't like to make an offer. Let them tell you what they want.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.

5. Dadn5kids

Dadn5kids

So researching this emblem, I found this site: http://www.americanautoemblems.com/2020/03/oldsmobile.html?m=0 - which shows this emblem was used by Oldsmobile from 1901 to 1907. My knowledge on advertising signs/memorabilia is just about zero, but I know antiques and this sign, to me, is original. Could it have been a dealership sign or service sign? I've only found one item on ebay with this original design, and it's an original radiator badge.

Deuces likes this.
  6. It could definitely be real. It could also be a later item than 1907. If it is genuine it would be very valuable.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  7. noboD

noboD

If original it would probably be porcelain. The emblem, much smaller, was on Curved Dash Olds.

8. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

I am no expert but it looks like the sign is old and done at a factory. Many early signs were painted, it looks like it has grazing from age and the grommets also make it more authentic. Any marking on the back?

Deuces likes this.
  9. Dadn5kids

Dadn5kids

As an update, I believe the sign was a fake. Yes it looked old, was heavier gauge metal/tin than reproductions currently on the market, but once I really started looking at it, something just didn't feel right about it. I'm finally learning to trust my first thought and so I passed. I think it was the few scratches/chips/wear spots on the paint. They looked too forced for lack of better description. Anyways, thanks for the info and thoughts everyone posted, nice having a community that responds well.

210superair and Nicholas Coe like this.
  10. noboD

noboD

If it was cheap enough it would look good on a wall.

11. Oldsmobile left Detroit for Lansing in 1902. If you can find (sorry, don't know what happened to my laptop to change the font!) a copy of the book "Settting The Pace, Oldsmobile's First 100 Years" on pg. 25 there is a illustration of a very similar crest saying it was designed around 1901. Subtle differences in the lines below the word Detroit, but close enough.

Hope this is some help, I'm no authority on Oldsmobiles.

12. Deluxe50

Deluxe50
    from Plano,tx

Gosh I would be interested in that! Did You buy it?