Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Help Shipping a Belly Tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MylesK, Apr 19, 2021.

1. MylesK

MylesK
    from Banner, WY

Hey guys I'm looking for some help getting a small belly tank shipped from Austin, TX to Sheridan, WY. The tank is 74" long, 23" in diameter and weighs about 60 pounds. I've been trying to purchase this tank for awhile but its been a slow going process. I think the guy selling it is just a little overwhelmed with the shipping aspect so I'm trying to find something that would be pretty easy but also not cost a fortune. Its an odd item to ship and seems to be right on the limit for being able to go UPS or FedEx. Any leads or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of the tank. QCCF9906.JPG

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Have you thought about strapping it on the underside of a airplane wing?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Airplane and parachute ? Just kidding.
    My guess it would need to be boxed up and go truck freight. Cant seeing it being cost effective. Heck, even a free car can run 4gs to get from point A to point B.
    Road trip in a pickup?

Texas Webb likes this.
  4. MylesK

MylesK
    from Banner, WY

That's some outside the box thinking there! Wish I knew someone with a plane!

5. MylesK

MylesK
    from Banner, WY

You are right on with it not being very cost effective so far. Everything I've found so far is in the $300-$400 range and the tank itself is $350. I had my P-38 tank shipped from Oregon to Wyoming for $450 and that took a lot of work on the sells end to get it crated up for me. He did an awesome job with it though and was super easy to work with. This new seller just doesn't seem motivated to do that.

6. wandi harry

wandi harry

whats the story with the tank? looks like its had an interesting life

7. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

40+ hour round trip road trip but think of the fun you would have. Three of us did a 30+ hour road trip once to pick up a car. Made for a lot of memories.

Just Gary, MylesK and Texas Webb like this.
  8. kruzin karl

kruzin karl

My wife and I drove to Minnesota and back, from Miami, in 4 days, to pick up my 35 Ford pickup.
    Talk about memories!

MylesK and Texas Webb like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless there is someone on here in the Austin area that can pick it up, scavenge up a proper size pallet and strap it down and get to who ever hauls it I'd say you are going to be out to lunch. Even that is a full day's effort and worth some decent money. First it has to be someone with the time and truck plus they have to have a pretty decent knowledge of where you go to find suitable used pallets for free around Austin and with wood prices what they are right now they may not be as many tossed out or guys may be snagging them a lot faster.

MylesK and Texas Webb like this.
  10. HAMB relay with several people involved and you meet a hundred or 2 miles down the road?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. MylesK

MylesK
    from Banner, WY

Yeah I’m starting to think a road trip down there is about the only I’m gonna get it. I don’t have much info on the tank. It’s off a p-40 from what I could find online. The guy got it from a neighbor awhile back and was going to make a go-kart for his daughter but never got to it. I’m planning on doing that for my son. I want to start with an electric motor setup but might go gas motor after he gets a little bigger. I just think it would be awesome for him to have a mini belly tanker next to my full size one I’m building.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Budget36 and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Easily damaged although already banged up, but after just reading Krylon32's post, I would be real leery of anything other that a solid crate. But it's a $ game. A long drive is the only way you can be in charge.

MylesK likes this.
  13. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

It looks like 2600 miles and 40 hour road trip, shipping may be what the gas would cost?

MylesK likes this.
  14. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Contact Ben D

MylesK likes this.
  15. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Greyhound. Got a ‘57 Bird hood shipped from Florida with only a tag wired on. Not a scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

MylesK and flatford39 like this.
  16. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

back when i was young.....caskets came in wooden boxes. just the size you need for the tank. might asked the local homes if they still come in wooden boxes.
    btw, my father used one for all the player piano rolls. that's a lot of rolls. o_O

MylesK likes this.
  17. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

X2 on Greyhound, two doors from Wa to Florida dirt cheap. If you’re willing to gamble a dent or two

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

MylesK likes this.
  18. flatford39

flatford39

x3 on greyhound...Put it in a box and drop off at there terminal in Austin.

MylesK likes this.
  19. MylesK

MylesK
    from Banner, WY

Thanks everyone I’ll look into the greyhound method. Do you think they would take it like it is? I’m not sure I’d be able to get the guy to put it in a crate.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Ship it by bus?

I like road trips to pick things up. I'll drive almost anyplace to pick something up. I like to have fun.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. MylesK

MylesK
    from Banner, WY

So I just got a quote from Greyhound for $170. That's by far the best price I've been able to find.