Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Ford Skyliner: One Worth Bringing Back

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 13, 2021.

1. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

I have a '57 Retractable, and it is correct that all items in the trunk have to
    be in the tub with the top down. If you don't lower the top it is possible to
    store various items in the trunk as long as it does not interfere with the trunk lid closing.
    However be careful of the ram position when lowering the trunk lid, it could bind.
    I know, because it happened to me.
    Very difficult to raise the trunk lid when this happens.

ratrodrodder and Fabulous50's like this.
  2. Do I remember correctly that you couldn't change direction of movement mid stream. You had to do a full cycle of movement from open to close?

3. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

You can stop the top progress at any point and reverse. So no, you don't have
    to do a full cycle.
    Ernie

ratrodrodder and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. Mike

Mike

A freind of mine had a nice '57 Skyliner. He could never get the mechanism adjusted properly, every time he retracted the top, it distorted just enough to shatter the back glass. After shattering two very expensive pieces of back glass, he opted to drive it with no back glass at all.

I never cared for the lines on the Skyliner. I don't like the roof line with the top up, and with the top up or down, the back looks like the deck of an aircraft carrier. The rag tops have much nicer lines.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  5. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

That is what I do for work. Industrial automation and VFDs for motors.

1952henry likes this.