Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods help with fuel pressure regulators and plumbing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Sonnenberg, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

how do i run my fuel lines between my mechanical fuel pump and my triple duece carbs? first off im just learning about engines so bare with me. I have a 1956 hemi 270 that i am putting a triple duece carb setup on. i think the carbs need around 2 psi of fuel pressure. a member that was recommended here is going to setup my holley 94s carbs with steel lines to a fuel block for me. my question is how is it set up from the mechanical pump to the carbs/fuel block?

Do i need to run a seperate fuel pressure regulator for each carb? can i run 1 regulator for all 3 carbs? do you guys run a return line from the pressure regulators or from a fuel filter? i found a NOS ac delco glass bowl fuel filter on ebay that has the extra port for a return line? Let me know what you guys have done, and please post some close up pictures of your lines if you can. Thank you. Here is a picture of my baby hemi right now!

Attached Files:

• hemi.jpg
      hemi.jpg
      File size:
      234.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You do not need a separate regulator for each carb, one regulator will do. Put the glass bowl filter between the regulator and the fuel block. A return line is beneficial, but not required. There are different regulators out there, my recommendation is to avoid the Mr Gasket style regulators, which are prone to leaking (depending on how much pressure your pump produces), which can create a fire hazard that could ruin your whole day. I went through 2 of those, then moved to a Holley low pressure regulator #12-804 and have never had another problem since then. The Holley regulator makes it easy to install a return line, but then you need to have a return line port on the fuel tank, which if your tank does not have you'll have to install. Again, the return line is not required.

3. I once worked for a municipality, doing mechanic work on their fleet. We had a bunch of late Ford trucks from the late 70s to the early 90s and I remember some of the 80s trucks with carburetion used a fuel filter with a return port. It was right up at the carb, easy to get to and not expensive.

Doug Sonnenberg likes this.
  4. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

thanks for the info. i will order that holley regulator #12-804 as i will be running a return line. It gets very hot and humid here in Manitoba during the summers so i think the return line would help. I dont have a fuel tank yet anyway so ill make sure to get one with a return vent or just make my own. thanks again.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'd put the glass bowl on a shelf for display , fuel return on a low pressure mech pump is uneccessary IMO . if you're using a holley 3-port reg. , 1 port in , 1 port to fuel block , 1 port for gauge .

lurker mick likes this.
  6. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

That works for me. I was just under the impression i had to run a return line in a humid climate for sure.

7. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I bought Summit's low-pressure regulator. It's the same as Holley's but polished aluminum, not chrome, and it's a bit cheaper. Both have good reviews, but I didn't want chrome, which can rust.

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I would buy a name brand regulator from a reputable source like Summit or Jegs. There are knock off copies of some name brands that you can find cheaper, but they aren't as reliable. You don't want a leaky fuel system and you often don't know it's a fake till you have a problem.

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I would also use a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge.