Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The State of The Rodder's Journal - a note from Steve Coonan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRJ, Mar 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For the record, I am a subscriber (lifetime), a contributor (digital production) and a huge supporter of The Rodder's Journal. I wish Steve and crew the best and sincerely hope they can find their way back to prosperity. @TRJ

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  2. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I have no stake in this at all. I have purchased the magazine from time to time at a B&N and have always enjoyed it. Subscribed for a while, but let it run out. Sad to see it in trouble.

What I have noticed is that RJ is regularly posting pics on Instagram. I have no idea who the actual poster is, but it’s by Rodder’s Journal. Just seems odd there is very little communication to invested customers yet time to post pics on Instagram.

3. I assume the Instagram account is all scheduled posts. A good social media person can set that up to make posts for days, weeks, months in advance. I haven't seen any responses from the account other than the initial posts.

I just renewed my subscription last September (or there about without looking it up). It sucks if I don't get anything out of it, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The biggest failure here is the lack of communication - I know how tough it can be to admit a failure publicly and then explain in great detail how it failed, and how I plan to recover from the failure. It sucks. I really hope TRJ pulls through this and isn't claimed by a drastically changing climate of media consumption topped off by a pandemic to put the nails in the coffin.

I do think this is a constant reminder that while this segment of the hobby is about holding up traditions and keeping the builds to what they used to be like (even if that is a bit romanticized a bit) - that things change and move forward. The businesses and the people need to adapt to those changes even if we like our cars not to.

4. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Best Stuff’s always worth the wait!

Lil32 likes this.
  5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

And the good die young.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Jake the Instagram stopped a few months ago as well

7. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

hello Steve
    still waiting on my 2021 calendar i paid for ,tried to call and no answer !!!!!

8. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Pictures still being posted daily as we type.

9. Are you sure you are on their page? Their last post was in February. It was Chris Casny's roadster.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I see there is a roddersjournal and a #roddersjournal. The #roddersjournal is posting the pics. Like I said...I have no idea who it is.

2D2CD296-D42A-4925-ACC0-7D23576D0037.png

11. The hashtag one is just anyone on Instagram who tags their picture with roddersjournal. They have nothing to do with those posts.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So Steve @TRJ what’s the latest? Have you seen the reaction to your message?
    Just waiting for my issue 84 and waiting for your next update.

Good thing I’m not holding my breath. :D

chryslerfan55, K13 and PoTaToTrUcK like this.
  13. I sense some shadenfreude

drdave likes this.
  14. 5window

5window

More than a bit. But, on whose part?

Tman likes this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sensing a lot of anger here...and I understand nobody wants to feel they were ripped off.
    But, you know Steve didn't pocket your money and head off to the Caribbean...He (and you) just believed in a business model that has a recent history of failure.
    Maybe if you looked at it more as your attempt to contribute to promotion of "Traditional Hot Rod History" that just didn't work out...rather than "that fucker took my money", it wouldn't sting so bad.

JMHO

16. fargoguy

fargoguy

While i can understand the support for Steve and The Rodder's Journal- it still boils down to this- he offered a product, people ordered and paid in advance, and he isn't delivering or communicating in a manner that satisfies those waiting. I think the fact that Ryan has let this post continue is a testament to the fact that something indeed is wrong here, and that folks are keeping it as civil as possible.
    I'm tired of folks who have no iron in this fire telling those of us out money to just change our thinking and accept that we've lost our money. No one has any idea what he did or didn't do with our money- he may have paid off gambling debts- we have no idea and it makes no difference.
    If this situation was someone who had taken pre-orders to reproduce a set of rare valve covers, and he took money and never delivered those parts- his name and reputation would be burning on a cross by now.
    The fact that communication is nearly non-existent is creating a vacuum of speculation and all Steve has to do is keep us up to date. It is more apparent every day that he doesn't care to even do that- and that would cost him nothing.

Denns1989, Carter, Helge71 and 17 others like this.
  17. phat rat

phat rat

Fargoguy, spot on. Communication would cost him nothing but the lack of it sure is costing him

Denns1989, Nick32vic, Carter and 4 others like this.
  18. PR101

19. Well, we're into the third week of April... We're waiting....

20. fargoguy

fargoguy

He also claimed an email to subscribers would be forthcoming and set a timeline- he didn't meet that either.

21. Heck, it's only a couple days over 3 weeks; he said, tounge-in-cheek.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should get a quarter off.

hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Ok I have waited a bit longer lately to see what the outcome could be with TRJ. I’m hoping somehow there’s a positive future for the publication we all have enjoyed.

I’m a lifetime subscriber and I had to source #83 and #84 from Larry at Graffiti Publications in Australia - so my TRJ collection is up to date.

My order for calendars and merch from March 2020 hasn’t arrived - but I’m putting it down as a loss now.

Where my thinking is now - is what is the status of TRJ? I have a lot of respect for the publication and Steve, Geoff, Joey and co and I wish all involved all the best to come thru this in some way possible?

Despite our disappointment and loss of dollars etc I’m hoping my positive wishes can pay things forward some what and we can see some good.

IMG_0617.JPG

I’m posting this pic of my roadster on the road and having fun as that’s what this great hobby is all about

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I thought I was the only one who didn’t know Adam’s house cat! Small world...

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and twenty8 like this.
  25. All I want to know is when is my 48 going to show up? Steve? you there still? Spanish Fort Alabama

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O 48 ? I thought we were waiting for #84 :D
    If you’re waiting for #48 you’re either really far behind or you’re dislexic or you ordered a back issue.
    Maybe both :D

chryslerfan55, 5window and Tman like this.
  27. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Greg Stokes.
    I,m pretty sure Geoff moved back to Australia so I,d be pretty sure he has nothing to do with this Debacle.

Greg Stokes likes this.
  28. 5window

5window

Who wants to know? [​IMG]

29. 40Vert

40Vert

I’ve been following this thread and I am a lifetime subscriber. TRJ has been my favorite and I have every issue and the the sleeves.

Over the years I have become used to losing money on subscriptions (Hot Rod, Street Rodder, Classic Trucks, Street Rod Builder, Traditional Kustoms, Custom Rodder, Rod and Custom twice)

I don’t like it but I chalk it up to how magazines subscriptions work, I guess. But when a magazine fails, I lose out on future non-produced issues.

That being said, our overseas brothers have purchased a magazine (or two) that was printed and exists and did not receive their product.

Many have ordered merch that was supposed to be on hand and haven’t received their orders.

I admire TRJ, but given the poor to non-existent communication and lack of providing promised merch and printed issues, I find TRJ’s lack of action to be unjust to their dedicated fanbase.

catdad49, Carter, brady1929 and 11 others like this.
  30. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Always like RJ but never stepped up to a subscription until this January. Paid with Pay Pal and they have refunded my payment. Would rather have the magazine.

5window and D-Russ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.