Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical INSTALLING A NEW CLUTCH CABLE QUADRANT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 18, 2021.

1. I decided to seize the day and get started on replacing the original plastic quadrant in the Ranch Wagon, the parts I robbed from the mustang to convert the clutch pedal in the wagon are over 30 years old and I have had concerns about the plastic quadrant, with it's age it may be getting brittle and could break leaving us stilling high and dry on the side of the road or worse yet on the interstate.

[​IMG]

I ordered the kit from Summit which comes with a aluminum quadrant and a adjustable firewall mount for the clutch.

[​IMG]

I watched all the video's and it looked simple enough and each one said it only takes about 2 hours, sounds good.

I started by jacking the car up and getting the jack stands in place,crawled under the car with a 3/8" socket as recommended to remove the cover for the cable and clutch fork, naturally mine was not 3/8" so I crawled back out and found the correct socket 5/16'' and removed the cover, I managed to get the cable released from the clutch arm and removed the C clip holding the exterior plastic cover to the transmission and fished it out.

No photo of this.

I then moved to the small screw holding the cable to the firewall, I was also 5/16", guess where the socket was? under the car!

[​IMG]

I got the cable loose from the quadrant and fished it through the hole on the firewall I then turned my attention to removing the plastic quadrant and it fought me tooth and nail, I had to contort my 6' 4" frame under the steering wheel and probably resembled the famous Chinese acrobats most of you have seen at the Circus at one time or another.

After finding all the tools needed to remove the clips and prying off the quadrant spring and the smaller pawl spring all the old parts were removed.

[​IMG]

I then spent about a half hour looking for the anti seize to use on the aluminum adjuster and then try to install it in the existing hole in the firewall, it seem the clutch cable outer mount is a little smaller than the new adjustable piece, I spent about a hour filling and testing, I finally got the part to seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I turned my attention to installing the new quadrant, again it wouldn't slide on the shaft, the new piece has 2 holes, the forward hole is the pivot and the rear that originally held the pawl bit the aft hole is off a bit so I clamped the piece down on the drill press and enlarged the hole, crawled back under the steering wheel and slid the quadrant in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with this side by side you can see the small fork where the cable inside the car attaches.

The way the new piece is made and the modifications I made originally I need to go to the hardware store tomorrow to get some spacers and a few washers, I don't want any rattles.

This is where I decided to knock off, I hung the new clutch cable up from the garage door rails and I oiled the cable and I will let gravity do that job.

The video's say it takes two hours, they had drive on racks & appeared to be in their 2o's or 30's, I don't have a rack and I'm a septuagenarian and it took me 4 hours and I'm not finished yet but tomorrows another day. :rolleyes: HRP

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

IMHO “Installs in minutes” or anything like that is the biggest lie ever told whether it’s something for the home or the car.

3. I feel your pain. I’ve been checking the front wheel bearings and bleeding the brakes...FOR TWO DAYS NOW. Old age ain’t for sissy’s.

4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

You win. I chased a squirrel off my deck today and then ordered a pizza.

rbrewer, MO54Frank, BJR and 14 others like this.

5. I have lived here in the South all my life, I would have killed the squirrel and added the meat to the pizza! :D HRP

6. Plastic quadrant? That shit is so new and OT I had no fucking idea what you were talking about!

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I replaced the clutch in my car and transmissions are a lot heavier these days.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Wanderlust, Blues4U, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. Same here , I thought I logged onto Popular WTF Mechanics

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still don't know what HRP is doing, or what he's talking about ...except that we're having a pepperoni and squirrel pizza:eek:

10. Fellas, he's saying there are squirrels in his quadrant. We need to assemble a team. Bring your shotguns and let's load up! Squirrel gravy and biscuits for all!!

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had one of those plastic things strip it's gears on an OT S10 pickup I used to own. Chevy dealer said that piece was out of production {this was in about 1992 or 93 IIRC}, so I took it off and made a deal that would keep the cable adjusted and bolted it to the plastic piece. Worked slicker than snot on a doorknob.

12. When I robbed the 302 engine and 5 speed transmission from the mustang I also removed the clutch cable, basically the quadrant holds the cable in place and when you depress the clutch pedal it rolls forward in pulls the clutch fork, it's a pretty simple set up and a heck of a lot more reliable than a hydraulic throwout bearing. HRP

13. OK , I’m going to bed now!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and 3W JOHN like this.
  14. You and Barb rode in the wagon, it shifted pretty good didn't it? HRP

loudbang, 3W JOHN and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. Any time I hear “ bolt on”
    “No modification required”
    “ direct replacement”
    Etc.

I plan double the time and add 4 hours :D

and HRP ...... you can’t honestly tell me you only own one 5/16 socket?!?!
    Crap, I think I got one on my night stand , 2 in the cup holder of my work van and who know how many in my tool boxes.

5/16, 1/2, and 9/16 in imperial size I can never find em and I’m always loosing them!!!

and don’t get me started on my 10mm sockets and wrenches :mad:

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny I'm thinking of going that way on my roadster when I go in to redo the driveline on my roadster. Going to at least give it a close look. Biggest complaint I have with the hyd. setup is lack of adjustability without pulling the transmission.

48fordnut, loudbang, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  17. I feel your pain.
    See my post on Bronco rear wheel cylinders. Popular WTF Mechanics for sure!
    I’m ready to take up model railroading.

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too confusing for me...Bed?...good idea;)

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Call Jeff Spicolii, he can fix anything his dad is a television repairman and has an awesome set of tools. Get her all fixed up and then you can ride some tasty waves!

Saxman, cfmvw, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  20. I can't remember what the hell I did yesterday and you expect me to remember if your car shifted ok how many years ago.:confused: Wait I'll ask Barbo_O:p

loudbang, hotrodjack33 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Anything under the dash sucks and it sure doesn’t get better with age.

That aluminium quadrant will outlast you so at least you’ll never have to do this job again.

I’ve found the worst part is getting the cable back on, I hook it on the quadrant, then crawl under the car and hook it to the fork and by then it’s off the quadrant and I go back and fourth a bunch of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Took me a bit to figure out what we were talking about too. Glad we got that all cleared up. I’m at least clear on the squirrel pizza now...maybe I will figure out what that has to do with some part called a quadrant soon. :D

23. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

If you cut the squirrel pizza in to four equal parts or quarters, you can invite 3 friends over to help with the clutch adjustment and everyone gets a quadrant of squirrel pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. What you went thru with your with your car reminded me of when
    I was working under the Dash of my mercury after I got under the
    dash with the tools on my stomach & all ready to work on it
    Guess what .............I had to pee.! so that killed that job for
    another day.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

25. The trick is to use a heavy rubber band wrapped around the cable and quadrant it will hold it in place. HRP

ffr1222k, deathrowdave and loudbang like this.
  26. Not so new and since the patent was granted in 1964 it falls under the pre '65 cutoff date. HRP

27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really thought you were going in a whole different direction with that heavy rubber band thing:eek:.

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Ok, I’m wicha now.....

loudbang likes this.
  29. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

And the bifocal glasses need to be worn upside-down to see what you are doing...

30. See, there is no scenario ever where I would be pulling a 302! That's like new fangled and shit.

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.