Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox doors!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henry, Aug 5, 2006.

1. henry

henry

Anybody know of a good way to adjust doors on shoebox so the line up properly. Theres just no real way it seems with stock hinges, besides wedgeing aboard in the bottom or top and forceing the door closed hoping that all that bending doesn't force those 50+ old hinges to bust!

2. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Hard to tell you what to do to your car without seeing it in person. Most of the time when a door is sagging on a shoebox, the problem lies within the rockers and or lower door pillars. If you haven't already dug around in this area take a look and don't be surprised to find extensive rust. A rocker replacement and some persuasion from a port-a-power will get the doors back to where they need to be. Again it's easier to give a hand when I can see the car...

3. henry

henry

Both doors are sagging, the guy I got the car from put new rockers in, I think he didn't take his time doing it should I cut them out and reweld them in. I'll try to get some pics up soon! Thanks!

4. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

Shoebox's often have terrible fit issues, especially in the door gaps. The easiest way to fix sagging doors, if it isnt a structural problem in the pillar, is to replace the hinge pins. There should be no play in the hinge. Then you can make a couple of shims with 3 holes drilled in them and put them under the lower door/ pillar hinge to lift the door up. You have to play with the shims and experiment till you have it right. I fixed the doors on my 49 that were falling off and they fit nice now with 1/4 inch door gap all around.

5. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

If the gap on top of the door is correct the doors are not sagging and it's the rockers. If the gap on top of the door is not correct then correct that situation before removing any rockers.:) :D

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

if your hinges are solid you just got to do some tweeking. ive wedged a block in the bottom and ran a ratchet strap thru the opening around the b pillar and ya start tightening. and ive used a florr jack to jack the door up to get the line to beltline to line up ,its all a pain inthe ass. ive had to shorten the doors too to just make a door gap. the ones ive had they all seam to fit really tight at the gaps

7. henry

henry

Thanks guys I'm going to try the shims!