Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any NW Arkansas HAMB'rs out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Apr 17, 2021.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

I am moving to NWA end of the month.. Any advice on what I am in for with my 32 Ford Roadster with lake pipes, cheater slicks, no fenders, reg'd as a Special Construction (because California sucks!), no turn signals, horn, etc.

Also.... I know the HAMB drags are not to far away and I hear the Arkansas Mile is pretty awesome. Anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?

Thanks, Eric

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@drdave and @Rand Man are both in that neck of the woods. Fair amount of stray kat events with in driving distance

3. leon bee

leon bee

Arkansaw is pretty damn easy on car rules most of the time. But nobody working in any of the DMV offices really knows the rules. Sometimes they call Little Rock while you're standing there, but nobody down there knows either. So, finally, they just give you the tag. If not, try another office.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

@arkiehotrods Welcome to Arkansas. We are just a few hours away.

Nicholas Coe and arkiehotrods like this.

5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

You are 120 miles or so from Springfield, MO and there is a lot of car culture here. You will find plenty to do between the two metro areas.

NWAR is a really neat place to live if you like to be outside, like nature, dig scenery. Good choice!

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I'm in NWA (Pea Ridge). The Rollin' Relics (who host the NWA Hot Rod Hundred) get together once a month in Tontitown/Springdale. Every Friday night in Pea Ridge, where I live, is a gathering of motorheads. Quite a few HAMBers from NWA are on here, including @MRpants @1stGrumpy @dan griffin @Nicholas Coe @Late to the Party @inkstain27 @leon bee (who already chimed in) and lots of others.
    We are a about an hour from the Darryl Starbird National Rod & Custom Hall of Fame Museum in Grove, OK, anda little over two hours from Dewey/Bartlesville OK where the Stray Kat 500 in May, the Lead Ain't Dead kustom car show in September (both at www.straykatkustoms.com) and the Gathering at the Roc (thehotrodgathering.com) take place.
    There is also the Darryl Starbird Show in Tulsa every year (https://www.starbirdcarshows.com/).
    Lots of hot rod hoodlums @bchrismer @gonmad @gbrown @Nostrebor et al just north of here as well, including the SWMO Hot Rod Hundred every year on the Saturday before Easter, beginning in the Springfield area and ending at the city park in Crane, MO. The Midwest '40 Ford Gathering also begins in Springfield and ends in Crane @bchrismer https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-ford-gathering-september-24-25-2021.1222376/
    Mo-Kan is less than 90 minutes away and usually the same weekend is a big swap meet the the Ozark Empire Fairgrounds in Springfield, MO which is also about 90 minutes from NWA.
    The Tulsa Early V8 Club hosts a large swap meet every spring as well.

To me, the Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas "corner" is loaded with hot rod and custom people and activities. You will like it here.

7. Awesome! I am in Tontitown. I can't wait to meet you. You'll love Arkansas. Nick

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Didn't Marley have a song about this? Exodus

Roothawg and arkiehotrods like this.
  9. Welcome to Arkansas! Where in NWA are you located? As arkiehotrods has already mentioned, there is a lot going on up here in our little corner of the world. I think you'll like it...

10. dan griffin

dan griffin

I left California 50 years ago. NWA is the place to be.

11. evobuilder

evobuilder

Man oh man, I have never felt so welcomed. Thanks to all the great comments. Yes, I am leaving CA, again. I left in 05, moved to Seattle for a decade, then to Austin until in 2017, got sucked back to the left coast for a job (never planned on coming back to Cali.... ever!
    So we decided (as did the company who laid me off), that it was time for a change. So.... new home, new state, new experiences, in NWA, Fayetteville for now while we scope out the surrounding area to plant roots. So in two weeks, we move the house, my home shop, wife, two dogs and mother in-law and will be calling NWA home.
    It's great to hear that there are soo many hot rod type stuff happening in the area and surrounding areas, I am really am excited about getting back to the part of the country I love the most (at least that is how I felt in Austin, so I am thinking the AR folks are going to be that, if not better :)

Thanks again to all and I will reach to to everyone and say hello and hopefully meet up and swap stories, go for a drive, ride or just bench race.

Eric (evobuilder)
    About to become a Arkansonian? Arkanrodder? Arkanwhatever.... just as long as I can find places to hang with like minded gearheads. Now... who wants to come help me unload my Mill and Lathe LOL

12. evobuilder

evobuilder

Fayetteville for now.... will look for a place once we get settled and get a lay of the land. I want a place with room for a shop.

Nicholas Coe and 1stGrumpy like this.
  13. leon bee

leon bee

Ticks, chiggers, giant centipedes, scorpions, fire ants, tarantulas, snakes, skeeters. Don't lie in the grass under yer car.

Nicholas Coe, drdave and 1stGrumpy like this.
  14. evobuilder

evobuilder

HA... spent 3 years in Austin, TX during the black cricket infestation..... I know, it sucks, thats why I work on my stuff in a concrete floor garage, not in the grass

NWA is 65% cheaper cost of living than So Cal, so ya gotta take the bad with the good.

Nicholas Coe and drdave like this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

NWA is way better than Austin. Austin is like CA but hotter.

16. Yeah, @arkiehotrods already threw my name out there. I'm the point man for the SWMO Hot Rod Hundred. We do that event every Easter Saturday, and I'm already working on the plans for the 2022 run. I also have the Midwest Forty Ford Gathering in September, which despite it's name, is open to other stuff, just features '40 Fords. Make plans to head over to Dewey, OK for the Stray Kat 500 in May and hopefully we can visit over there.

17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little OT but over 20 years ago I flew from SoCal to Fayetteville to testify in a Federal Criminal trial. One morning before court started I was walking from my motel towards the court house looking for somewhere to get breakfast. Along the way I passed a woman going the other way who said good morning as she walked by. I did a double take and looked around to see who she was talking to. Being from SoCal I certainly wasn't used to a stranger wishing me good morning out of the blue. Really nice people in Fayetteville but I can't say as much for the jurors. As the Deputy US Marshal said, "what's illegal in the rest of the country ain't necessarily illegal in the Western Judicial District of Arkansas.

Late to the Party and drdave like this.
  18. I am another one that left California and wound up here in NWA, after a 13 year stint in Arizona!

drdave likes this.
  19. atomickustom

atomickustom

Fayetteville area is very nice. As others have mentioned, this whole region is very old-car friendly. When I moved to Joplin MO from Akron Ohio 25 years ago it was like I died and went to kustom car heaven. Ohio was all muscle cars and restos, here it was all Mercs and chopped tops!
    If you are into rods you will love the HAMB Drags in August.
    There are also a lot of local cruise-ins and such going on most Saturdays (I assume they will resume, everything got put on hold last year due to Covid.)
    Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

drdave and Roothawg like this.
  20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

If you're moving to Fayetteville, then you really need to make sure to check out Wrights' Barbecue. It's the real deal.
    20210324_080801.jpg

Nostrebor and drdave like this.
  21. dan griffin

dan griffin

I may be able to help with the mill and lathe,even a place to store them. Give me a call. Dan 479-879-7353

arkiehotrods likes this.
  22. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Hey Dan, Long time no see. Maybe you can come north some day.

23. Welcome to arkansas..I live in mountain home . If your over this way let me know,

24. I'm late to the party, but welcome to Arkansas. I'm down in Conway about 3 hours away. Mr. @arkiehotrods will be the guy to introduce you around.....he knows (and remembers) everyone. I can't remember breakfast. LOL

25. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

All things that add character to a fella. If you're not all beat up and bit up, you're not in the Ozarks!:)

26. Dr. Dave -- You're not "late to the party," I am. :)

1stGrumpy likes this.
  27. Hmm...seems you have plenty of great folks and some of my best friends able to show you around NW Arkansas, Even though I am over in Oklahoma, I suspect we will run into each other at some point in the future since I try to frequent most of the events already mentioned above. Welcome to a great part of the country.

1stGrumpy likes this.