Register now to get rid of these ads!

14 inch Porta-Walls

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by BuckeyeBuicks, Apr 16, 2021.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I came across a bunch of 14 inch Porta-Walls at an old dealer auction a while back. I have not looked thru all of them yet but the ones I have found so far look to be about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 wide. They are dirty from being stored in the basement of the dealership for 60 years or so but are still pliable so I think they would mount as well as they ever did. The question is, would any one be interested in them to get the wide white wall look on the cheap like we used to do?

pigIRON63 likes this.
  2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Never liked whitewall tires but wow, finding some vintage porta walls! Hope someone takes you up on them for their custom/low rider projects.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If not hardened, cracked, or yellowed, but still pliable, they will work on bias tires with no problem.
    Deflate tire, break outside bead, clean rim & tire bead, lube with a little dish soap. Lay the bugger in there & inflate til it seals, then bleed it down to a couple lbs. Go around it with soft hammer, evenly tapping into bead until uniformly seated as far in as it'll go, and fill it up ... some brands of tires had a ridge on the sidewall that actually hid the fact you had them. It isn't something you want to do with radials.

lurker mick and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

^^^^not to mention scuffing the kerb!
    You might even have some colours in the swag. I recall blue, red and green ones.