Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville Speedweek 2021 Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Feb 17, 2021.

1. They can't accurately forecast next week let alone Speedweek several months out! I wish I had a job where I could be wrong the majority of time and not get fired.

JC Sparks, 30tudor, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. I will be there with 2006 mustang that ran 239.705 on a 256 record. Hope to have my 1935 ford coupe pos 291 hemi 5 speed for plunking around

3. Stop at the Bend in the Road,,,,, left side as you pass the junction,,,, look for my "Bred Truck" with the Hostess Cup Cakes sign, and have a cold whatever. We are the "Bend in the Road Gang" and have been meeting people for quite a few years now. Just ask for Crow, Old Rodder, Hank. Alan, or anybody else,,,,,, we love to sit and swat flies, and tell lies,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Crow, P/R Rep. "Bend in the Road Gang" !@

SquirrelTail, Jet96, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  4. Well... the "Plan" as of right now is to have the P12 T finished by the week before Speedweek...
    Load it in the trailer and drive the 33 hours to the Bend, find a spot to camp out of the trailer.. and then drive the car on the salt...
    Huge bucket list item for me...
    Look for a black chevy colorado diesel with a dark blue car trailer... stop in and say hello!
    Wish me luck on the quest!!!
    Chappy

stillrunners, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  5. Trying to put something together to bring the coupe out now that it's finished and get photos on the salt and do it up at the Nugget.

jll34 and loudbang like this.
  6. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

20180814_065228.jpg Some inspiration. In 2018 this was the shot I took about a hour before our record run. I'd been up late thinkin about what to do in the morning. So I got out on the salt early because we had left the trailer at the starting line. Once I was sure the tuneup was right I look up and see that sunrise. When I saw it I knew we where in the money.

7. Be good to see you again.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

9. mc2032

mc2032

Made it to World Finals in 2020, salt was great, dry, hard and fast. Plan is to run off topic bike at Speed Week, see if I can go a bit faster. Have ran USFRA, Texas Mile, Colorado Mile, plus some NHRA stuff but Speed Week has it's own vibe. Definitely suggest doing SW at least once, going to the Nugget car show, etc.

stillrunners, chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  10. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

It would be good to see you again but, I'm gone forever. I have lost / missed so much time with my family over the last 45 years racing. I'm going to spend whats left of my life with my family. Good luck to you all out there. JC

11. N49racer

N49racer

89CD8CDE-A054-4F6E-8689-0B4B9B18367C.jpeg I just put my preregistration in. Gotta keep those positive vibes going. The car has been collecting dust. If I don’t get to run soon I’m gonna need retraining.

Jet96, El Hueso, Todd553 and 5 others like this.
  12. I understand.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It was very difficult to run our car with new induction system and shoot and sell, and talk to our customers and vendors,,, so this year calendar only, maybe we will run art World or Finals,,, same salt....

14. Lets talk about running later. My pal Tom could use a front seat to see how a car is run.

15. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Happy to say I've booked a room, a flight and a rental car for 3 days of the event. This will only be my second time there. My first was flooded out but still enjoyed the car show as many of us were there anyway.
    Tried every which way to drive my bird there but just couldn't justify it this time. Maybe some day.
    At any rate meeting up with an old buddy from high school and hope to meet some people around the pits.
    Working on gettin a couple of old bikes to ride around the pit area and to get out on the salt.
    Any thoughts or suggestion on this let me know. Fingers crossed on great weather!

16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

89CD8CDE-A054-4F6E-8689-0B4B9B18367C.jpeg
    You've still got time to adapt a pickup bed to the roadster body. (Is that legal in MR?)

17. Todd553

Todd553

I never saw the Golenrod run. I did see Tom Burkland. To me, still the most amazing thing I've seen or heard. The ground was shaking before I saw the car. Absolutely AWESOME! 450 plus exit speed. Not my video but look and listen.

18. Todd553

Todd553

And, we will be there with the Haas Racing streamliner.
    IMG_0792AA.jpg

19. Powerplant? Class?!?!?!?!?

20. Lemme see, clearly the power plant is humongous ( big that is, huge),as for class, schools out man.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Todd553

Todd553

AA/BGS Powerplant is 2 big turbocharged chevys.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  22. Less than 3 months away

23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I don't need to be reminded :)

loudbang and Tman like this.
  24. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Yep, gettin' excited for it. just found a deal on a couple bikes I hope to be able to use around the pits and such, conditions allowing.

loudbang likes this.
  25. I am a cyclist and bring a bike but even that, the distances are HUGE, pits are two miles long and the starting lines can be 5 to 10 miles away. Might not seem like much at home but on the salt it feels never ending

loudbang likes this.
  26. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

question for you veterans. I know of a couple of place to park the rental already. But I was wondering if we could park on the side of the final road out towards the sign, before you get on the salt bed. Will it be possible or prohibited? just didn't know. If so, probly the first to fill up anyway.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Lands end gets filled up with the volunteer cars that are working the entrance. Off to the side can be either dry or a mudhole

loudbang likes this.
  28. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Yes, thanks I understand, but even longer walking right? Heard lots of stories on a rental on the salt as a nono. Am I overthinking it?

loudbang likes this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve had rental trucks and cars on the salt. I drive them from SoCal and pray for rain on the way home. I wash them under as good as when I bring my own minus removing the wheels.
    Also some years are way better than others. You at the mercy of Mother Nature and how fast you drive on the salt.

loudbang and y'sguy like this.