Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Edelbrock "94" Carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dontlifttoshift, Nov 3, 2009.

1. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

You're forgetting about the frustrated. The ones tired of one junk/already rebuilt 12 times before carbs. Or the "oh yeah, that guys THE guru of 97s/94s. All his stuff is like jewelry." And then the thing is a piece of crap. Trust me, I've been through three carb "guru's". Junk, Junk, Junk. Parts missing. Assembled wrong. Stuff that should have been replace and wasn't. All under the instructions, "Right. That's how I want them. RIGHT. Don't worry about the cost. Just build 3 of the nicest fucking carbs you've ever built." Junk.

I'm not saying guys shouldn't rebuild carbs. That's cool and all. Look at Littlemans carbs. They ARE jewelry. But at what point to you not rebuild something yourself? I mean, do you run out and buy a Sun Dizzy machine so you can rebuild your dizzy? Or a machine shop full of machinery so you can machine all your own engine components.

After all the carb guru's we've tried, I buy new Strombergs, and now NEW Holley 94's. And I want to extend that to the HAMBers that just want to pull a carb out of a box, plop it onto their motor they just spent their hard earned bucks getting machined, and drive the hell out of their hot rod.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. To each their own but rebuilding a carb is not rocket science. I was talking about doing it myself, NOT paying some schmuck or "carb guru" to do it. There's your first mistake.

No, I've got a friend who has a distributor machine but I've found it easier to tweak it on the car.

I do have a lathe and a mill and have made parts. You make it sound like it's a bad thing.

And to think I thought hot rodding , and especially traditional hot rodding, was about doing it yourself. What was I thinking!!!!

Yeah there are folks that are better off buying instead of fixing, it's just that folks have given up learning and trying and that's a bad thing.

Sorry if I'm messing up your sales.

3. Abomination

Abomination

After a quick mixture adjustment... or with multiple carbs, a date with a Uni-Syn. It's easy, takes no time, and is pefrect - especially for guys that just want to pop 'em on and go!

I say let 'em buy a carb and bolt it on if they wanna.

Wrong jetting? Can't use a Uni-Syn? Vacuum leaks? Hey, that's just more money in the pockets of the shop guys, so they can fix that "stupid carb" that's causing all your problems. :D

That said, I've been eyewitness to come of the carb fuck-ups some "pros" send out. It kind of makes ya sick to your stomach.

So I see both sides of the story. But folks need to know that unless they're only running one carb, it's not going to be a simple bolt 'n go deal.

~Jason

4. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Man!!!! that is a very steep price in my opinion. Why is it that they are more pricy than a 4 barrel. There is so much less to manufacture here. I realize that r&d is not cheap but seriously if they were 100 to 150 a pop they would sell like hot cakes and they could make it up on volume. I would be willing to bet at 75 bucks a throw they would make a bunch of money.

I feel for the fellas that want a 6x2 setup. 2100 bucks in carbs alone is insanity!!!!!!!

5. Larry T

Larry T

6. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

75 might be a far reach and an exaggeration on my part but I am still shocked at the cost. I realize too that there is a limited market but for example think how many HAMBers there are that would buy one or a few if the price was within a reasonable budget. yeah a dominator is very expensive. but a standard edelbrock 600 is notvery expensive.

not dissagreeing with you all but that is a lot of cash.

7. Larry T

Larry T

I'm not saying it's not a lot of money either. But I don't think it's fair to compare it to the cheapest (because they sell truckloads of them) carb on the market either.
    BTW, it looks like the "Walmart" price on baseline Edelbrock 600s is around $250.00 now. Add a choke and it's closer to $300.00.
    The "94" price is list. You could probably by 'em cheaper through Summit/Jegs when they're available.-------OK, maybe not. They're $343.00 from Jegs.

As a buddy of mine says "It costs to be boss." (G)
    Larry T

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I received 2 of these carbs for a customer a few days ago and they worked great straight out of the box.

9. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Yeah it does cost to be Boss. that is for sure. i just cant wrap my head around having more into a carb setup than a whole rebuild on a motor including machine work but hey if it were cheap and easy everyone would be doin it right??????

Dang. I am really just jealous that I will not be able to afford em!!!!

10. I'm going to try one on a customers car (last customer since I don't work on anybodies car but mine now), nothings worse then having it screw up on them......if it were my car I would just fix it again. I don't have spares (I do have a butt load of 2 jets), theirs was missing some parts and a reman from macs is about $250 + core. I fixed theirs a few times, now it's got a whistle (sucked a chunk of gasket, warped body or both) and the reman has a super large overbore on the accl pump, so the kit won't work.

so who is a alliance vendor that has them in stock?

11. draginsteel

draginsteel

That is a lot of money for a 2 barrel carb.

12. I want to know where you guys are buying $5 Holley 94's. I'll buy a few hundred right now at that price. I've been selling complete 94 cores rather easily for $60/ea for quite some time now...add $30 for a rebuild kit, $20 for an extended shaft, and another $10 in miscellaneous parts and you're at $120 a carb, with a fair amount of cleaning, drilling, cussing, and sweating until you've got a good working carburetor.

Still, $325-350 each is a lot of dough, and if you're running 6 or 8 of these things...well for that kind of money I'd rather clean, and drill, and cuss, and sweat over a bunch of 97's instead.

13. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

At your service sir!

14. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

If HRCC doesn't have any when you order, I have 6 on the shelf and I deliver to him every day

15. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Christmas is just around the corner!!! We can ship them Red Label right up until Wednesday!!

[​IMG]

16. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Are the secondary carbs available yet?

17. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

When I talked to Edelbrock at SEMA they told me that they decided to make them all the same so no secondaries are necessary. HRCC, how much is shipping?

18. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

What does that mean? Edelbrock, expects users to turn primary carbs into secondary carbs?

19. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Edelbrock said they can be run either way.

20. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Ah, OK, cool. Thanks.

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Bumping this thread to the top because of the Holley vs. Edelbrock thread, and these carbs and HotRodChassis are awesome

22. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks man! We've been selling these things like hot cakes. So we were talking about extending the sale until Jan 31st for HAMB and Czar Board members! Spread the word!

23. I got 2 of these and they are running great on my 6x2 setup in the center positions.

24. Simplicity

Simplicity
    from Toronto

Do they have the vacuum port on the back that goes to the distributer?
    like the 8BA's on a 52 F1.

25. Hi guys
    I don't get on this ssite too often , but I would sure like to hear from some folks that are running these carbs . Kinda hard to find many rebuildable originals up in this part of the country .

26. swissmike

swissmike

They are nice, but I was disappointed with some of the attention to detail on these. The idle mixture screws have a very long taper (much longer than the originals? I have). When I inspected the screws out of the box the tips were bent on all 4 of them from when they were jammed into the seats.
    The brass bowl plugs were tightened with regular screwdriver which resulted in "bowtie" marks on all 4 slots.
    The linkage of the accelerater pump uses a panhead screw as the pivot, unlike the flathead countersunk screw on the original, which does not allow full motion of the linkage in the outer position.
    At least they don't leak, but for the price I would have expected a perfect carb, especially from an established manufacturer like Edelbrock. They should not have to be thought how to tighten a screw.

27. triumph 1

triumph 1

Sorry to drag up such an old thread & I know these carbs are discontinued. Just wondering if anyone on here is running them & how their experience has been.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. triumph 1

triumph 1

Wow! Hard to believe nobody is running these.......

29. I have a friend running one (old customer) on a stock '51 Flathead. It's on the second one as the first one was leaking from the core plug, the second one started to weep also, but I re staked it and is ok now. Both ran great of the car, the leaking was the only problem.

30. triumph 1

triumph 1

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
    Just ordered some, I’ll post my experience once they’re installed.