Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sorry about Dixie.

2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx,it seems like only yesterday i got him. pic [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Nicholas Coe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. Leakie

Leakie

Sorry for your loss Chris.

4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

moved in to the kitchen table to cut the stencil.should have done that ages ago.much easier on the back working at the right height.shot some white primer.(back in the garage ).and rollered it afterwards . firestone start paint 002.JPG
    made life hard for myself really should have waited and sprayed the black behind the script before cutting it,but thats the easy way crest will be white with a red F and border like it used to be.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Leakie, tb33anda3rd and TFoch like this.
  6. bubba55

bubba55

Dang Brother Flea - sorry about yer Buddy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanks mike how is your new guy working out , c.

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

firestone stencil off 001.JPG peeled away the masking tape,hoping to lay on some black tomorrow

9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

started on more miles per shilling. most miles per shilling 003.JPG most miles per shilling 003.JPG sprayed a creme panel as a base colour for the stencil.the panel is pitted in this part of the panel ,i dusted over the creme with black then sanded back with 1000grit when dry.small fuck up here should have extended the creme to the edge of the bead ,now ill have to recover around it. most miles per shilling 002.JPG

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    TFoch likes this.
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

more miles per schilling 2 001.JPG more miles per schilling 2 002.JPG without a doubt the original script is the nicest,just a little sorry i didnt trace it and go from there.traced the more miles per shilling script though.when i have it coloured in its off to photocopying to reduce the size till it fits the panel.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

all i have to do is cut this lot out tedious business .the last one .those letters are after getting a bit small. package ebay 014.JPG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    tb33anda3rd and TFoch like this.
  12. bubba55

bubba55

Without refilling
    Bruno is doing well for a rescue dog - wide eyed / nervous but progress is just a daily thing - sometimes he steps back but that's to be expected - gonna take patience and time - I'm glad I took your advice - thanks my friend

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

you are welcome ,now i need to take it myself,but herself is very sad at the moment were all missing the guy c

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ive cut the stencil,but trying to remove the tape has revealed a mess.adhesive is sticking to the paint.maybe the paint was too fresh but now it will take a few hours to clean it all off.with some luck ill paint the black tomorrow evening.lesson learned!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

firestone day 7?.spent the day trying to remove the adhesive ,a long day.nearly gave up.eventually got to the stage where i could spray black.two nearly full cans of satin black .should have had loads but i ran out.still plenty paint in the cans thoroughly shook and warmed the cans.kept going still they both ran out was afraid i would get a blotchy finish but it dried in flat.its now in the house baking in the heat touch up tomorrow. firestone in black 001.JPG /ATTACH] firestone in black 002.JPG firestone in black 003.JPG firestone in black 004.JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    charleyw, tb33anda3rd, Leakie and 3 others like this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

will soften up the sharp edges on the script tomorrow.glad now i stuck with it and didnt get a computer cut stencil.the little irregularities in the script suit an old truck in my opinion

keith27T likes this.
  17. That looks outstanding! Amazing work.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx nick,up your street!!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  19. Looks great!!! One of a kind!

nunattax likes this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx man nearly there.

Nicholas Coe and TFoch like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

cleaned off the sharp edges on the paint and fitted it.greased up the rod and attached to the lock.screwed on the panel everything looking good til i discovered the the rod is fowling the panel.have to weld it up maybe need to pack the panel near the lock with a penny washer no drama.once we get it welded up ill paint the top of the door too.ATTACH=full]5043224[/ATTACH] firestone fitted 003.JPG firestone fitted 001.JPG

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Leakie, tb33anda3rd, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  22. Looking good! The finish work really cleaned it up.
    Are you going to "age" the panels or let the do that themselves?

You truck would be an amazing advertisment for Firestone. They might even pay you to display it at shows after all this drama is over.

I would drive it over to your local Firestone distributor or dealer.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax likes this.
  23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ive bridgestones on the front!.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

my BOSCH 3-electrode plugs arrived from latvia this week.just fitted them and made a mixture adjustment at the same time.its going very well.now if i could get the timing set for definate.e-mailed bosch usa .they cross referenced the plugs i was using and suggested FR7KTC 7407 3 electrode plug . bosch 3 electrode 001.JPG .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i did a bit after removing all the sharp edges i rubbed it down with 1500 to remove any shine onit paints were all aerosol , satin black,gloss black ,white primer , red oxide primer ,clear laquer.and gloss cream id left over from the steering wheel.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

well got the panels welded today,pat did a very tasty job on some very thin metal,turned out great with very little damage to the paint.tweaked the bracket supporting the lock pull rod.then had to apply a small bend to the rod.eventually needed 1 m5 penny washer for clearance.stuck that to the lockrail with araldite 2 pack adhesive.pass side almost there.but still 4 jobs to do on the pass. side 1 repair the paint .2bottom front screw holding on the panel is snapped off prob rusted in there..be great if i could drill it straight out.if not have to make a bigger hole through the door cill and tack a piece in .3 need 2 more screws on the back edge of the door panel.its not sitting against the door about midway down.2 more screws would fix that.4 slightly elongate 1 hole in the door panel so the screw meets the threaded hole.more jobs more time and effort thought id be finished with the doors a long time ago.no chance and 5 sand and paint all the #8 screw heads.keeping the original slot heads for more visible areas like the upper door trims .forgot 6.repair the wear on the guide on the lockrail for the lock rod its after wearing a little letting the knob end of the rod drop down a little.it works best if i slightly push the knob upwards.trying to explain to an occasional passenger will be a pain in the ass so we fix it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    TFoch, Leakie and tb33anda3rd like this.
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

whipped off the door so i could try to drill out the broken screw.put it on the bench sitting on some old blankets..punched the centre of the screw,things were going good til the bit snapped just as it was coming through.fuck it eventually got it out after a long fight.hole was too big for a #8 screw.time for a piece of 30x6 mm alloy in behind.cut a close fitting piece ,marked where i needed the hole drilled and tapped.used the screw to hold it in place while the bed of araldite set.later on got the door back swinging.just as well im not in a hurry.
    and when i had the door on the bench i could have a close look at the bottom of the door.where the door skin folded over the door cill was a channel. just made to hold wet and damp.so i filled the seam with tiger seal keeping the corners open so any condensation or water could escape.must hit the other door before the tube goes off.dont last long once opened.c

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  29. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

went for paint .straightened out the top of the panel ,best i could painted the top.slotted 1 hole for clearance.drilled pilot holes for the 2 extra screws on the door panel.every screw is in except for the bottom front corner i repaired. hole needs a small rub of a file.very nearly there pass door.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    TFoch and tb33anda3rd like this.
  30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

all screws loctited in the pass door thats progress.tech tip loctited the window winder escheon to the winder.no more rattles great.and window rubber strips due for delivery.
    another tech tip 37/38 doors,if you are replacing the door panels the lock rod is inclined to drop down smearing grease everywhere.solution is to put a bolt through the rod where the knob attaches.theres a hole in the guide behind,allows the bolt to pass through.the bolt can pull out through the slot after.rod cant fall when the panels has a few screws in place.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021