Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lokar 23" case mount 700r4 shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54FISH, Apr 17, 2021.

1. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello , Hope everyone is safe out there in Hamb Land. Has anyone had any issues with Detents on the LOKAR 23" Nostalgia 700r4 shifter? When I try to go from Park to Reverse , I can't even feel Reverse , like a really faint click , then Locks into Nuetral , even the 1-3 , it's like there are NO Detents . I adjusted the linkage about 5x & can get all gears , but like I said , some don't feel Locked in( like with a pronounced DETENT CLICK) ? Think of modifying , Been on the phone with them with No straight answers & Local Trans shops won't touch it.? Am I missing something or is there any talk shifters made that lock in every gear . Lokar has a NEW shifter that is gated , but only in floor mount , case mounts haven't been made yet ? ANY HELP much appreciated!! Stay safe Brothers!

2. The shifter has a reverse lockout-so from park you can hold down on the button and the shifter will come all the way down to first. You can push forward and it will shift -but not stop or ‘lock’ in every gear- you can push it into neutral- but it won’t go into reverse. You have to hold down the button to get it into reverse and hold it down again to push back into park. It is designed to work similar to an OEM shifter- not like a racing shifter that can be banged into each gear and stop.

Hot Rod Nut likes this.
  3. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

A fairly common mod is to add an extra leaf spring to the shift pawl detent spring on the valve body in the transmission.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Joe H

Joe H

Dale has the answer, add a second modified spring inside the transmission at the shift paw. I don't think the LoKar has any detents. I worked on mine a long time to get it to feel right. There are side to side adjustments if it rattles or moves to easy. I have a second spring with the roller cut off.

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

That pretty well describes how the Lokar shifter on my 700R4 works, yes. It latches in Park, and Neutral. I think I remember needing the button to go from D to 3 as well.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Hamb'ers !!! I got it worked out , Hittin all selections , Still not crazy about the lack of feel , but I found that Lokar has a Gated shifter ( floor mount only now ) , but working on case mount . Genie also has the Gated . Just gotta get used to , adjusted jamb nuts on Right side for a snugger pull . Thanks again !!! B safe !

7. 55blacktie

55blacktie

23" is a long shifter. The longer the shifter, the less feel you will have. Vibration/rattling can also be a problem.

8. hoop

hoop

They advertise the case mount at Speedway,Jegs and Sumitt. Another month for delivery.