Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical cheap bucket seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mario p herrera, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Those should be easy to find.... :)

Mario p herrera likes this.
  2. looks like lots of aftermarket support

3. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

Early Mustang seats seem cheap on craigslist. I pass over them from time to time 200ish

4. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Steer clear of the poly buckets if you intend to keep the car. Mine disintegrated to flakes. Never stored outside, had seat covers on them. Got in one day to move it and they crumbled. The covers are still good :) Stuff apparently has a lifespan. After which they return to the granules they started with. The matching rear seat was fiberglass and is like new. Good hunting, Mike

loudbang and Mario p herrera like this.
  5. oldolds

oldolds

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Get after market Fiber glass seats that came in Dune buggy`s. Shouldn`t cost much, plus light weight for shipping. PLEASE, no foreign car seats. This is the HAMB.

7. Chevy Cavalier around 2000 has a narrow bucket seat that is super comfortable.

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Older BMW works out nice, a friend put them in 2 different cars he built. Less than a $100 at a Pick and Pull.

Elcohaulic and Mario p herrera like this.
  9. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mario p herrera and swade41 like this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

But Speedway has a really cool museum. Sounds better than buying from an IMPORT place. Even thou they might be the same seat.

11. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

In 1950 almost 400,000 British cars were imported to the US. In 1958 we imported more cars than we exported. With their world renowned reliability (joke), I'm sure there were plenty of imports with narrow seats in the yards of the day. They didn't all get HAMB-friendly gasserplasty surgery. Mike

Mario p herrera and rusty valley like this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`m talking about post 65 like the 90`s.

13. '93 Pontiac Grand Am, removed headrests & had covered in buckskin leather. Speedway runners bolted to bottom of seat frames.

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

I used a pair of center bucket seats out of a 2000 something Chrysler Mini van in a 39 Dodge truck cab. They fit fine with about 4" between them and 2" -3" between the doors and the seats. I think I paid $40 for the pair, removed the head rests and made my own seat brackets.
    Take your seat measurements and go to a pull a part and start measuring seats. Gene

15. Early Mazda Miata seats have a pretty flat track (easily modified to flat), have head support, intigrated seat belt,, are not hideous to look at, cheap and plentiful
    Chappy
    Screenshot_20210416-221204_eBay.jpg

AHotRod and Mario p herrera like this.
  16. goldmountain

goldmountain

17. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

I always thought these looked like an early racing bucket. fiberglass seat.jpg
    I saw some similar chairs at a thrift store about 2 years ago for $20 each.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  18. Mario p herrera

Mario p herrera

They actually do don't they

19. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But if you really need them you really need them and if Speedway is out of stock... I am building a 48 Austin gasser so technically I have an import.

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

I agree with "Chappy444" on the Mazda Miata seats, I have used them in the Model A sedan I built, I had the upper head rest area cut off and upholstered in white pleats, looked perfect era correct when done.

Mario p herrera and Just Gary like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-4-17_7-9-48.png 1960
    Hello,

When we were ready for the interior modifications of our 1940 Willys Coupe, we had to make some decisions. The motor was already set back 10% as per street legal rules for the Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes. So was the new firewall. Now, the interior got its share of aluminum panels and the LaSalle transmission was given a new cover plate.

So with this in mind, we wanted some old Corvette bucket seats, but they were too large to move back as far as we could to make up for the 10 percent set back and less room inside. After several hours at the local scrapyard searches, we found a small set of bucket seats, from a small sports car. The measurements were within reason, they were comfortable, the surface was still a nice black and the cost was minimal.

Back then, there were plenty of bucket seats at most scrapyards. Something about sports cars, non mechanical/knowledgeable drivers (men/women/teens) made this section larger than most. Good, but, not too good...

We brought them home, and sat them in the farthest position with the low back almost touching the rear wall under the split window. Once we both sat in the seats, the mounts were put in. This was not going to be a fully adjustable front/rear sliding seat. The room inside of the Willys Coupe was small anyway and with the 10 percent set back, it even got smaller, so the move to the rear of the small cabin was necessary.

The pedals were still easily pushed and since we installed the interior Moon Tank and Pump, the room for the passenger was minimal, but doable. (if we pushed the small bucket seats back as far as it would go)

Jnaki

I am not sure if you are big and tall or not. So, your motor and firewall may be in the stock position. But, since the interior was on the small size anyway, compared to a larger sedan, adjustments must be made to accommodate the driver and passenger. Ours was a street legal 1940 Willys Coupe with a 283, then a 292 SBC motor with a 671 supercharger. It was street legal and licensed for such driving.

We did take it on the street on several weekends, which was outstanding, but it was our entry into the highly competitive Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes. At first, the 283 put us in B/Gas. Then when we rebuilt a larger 292 c.i. SBC motor and added all blower spec parts + the 671, we were still in B/Gas until we welded in some steel plates to support the trunk area and place the necessary weight over the rear axle for better traction.

But, our bucket seats were not cheap, just smaller than most. They were comfortable for our weekend road trips around our favorite cruising grounds. Why would you want to buy some “cheap” seats, unless you plan on modifying the seat pattern and give it some new upholstery bolstering. Cheap does not always mean comfort. Comfort is necessary for short or long distance road trips and especially if it is a daily driver. YRMV
    upload_2021-4-17_7-16-9.png

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Before I bought the seats I posted above I searched for a old pair of British sports car seats for a long time. In the rare instance a pair would pop up the owner thought they were made of gold. They might be a good option, but definitely not cheap, poor availability, IME, yours may vary....

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any high back seat doesn't jive in a traditional hot rod. A lot of the early seats like the Dodge A 100 are impossible to find now.
    We used to have a motor home plant close to here that sold the transport seats out of their motor home conversions real cheap but that was a long time ago. A decent but very plain seat that fit a lot of older rigs and didn't look bad.
    I'd agree that if you want cheap you just go to the wrecking yard with your tape measure.

24. Cheap or period correct, you can only pick one. With skill and perseverance you can find the latter and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.
    Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. stanlow won't like these, but '76-91 Jaguar XJS seats are a good choice IMO...

XJS seats.jpg

Not as nearly bulky as most 'period correct' US buckets, lose the headrest and they look a lot like early Mustang or earlier Brit sports cars; Jag kept 'traditional' interiors far longer than most. Low profile, thin backs, designed for a low seating position and most importantly, comfortable. The seat track mounts to a flat surface. No idea what they're getting for them these days (I've got a personal stash), any you'll find used will need reupholstery but DIY kits in both vinyl and leather are readily available. The one thing to watch for is these don't use a conventional metal lower spring but rather a rubber 'membrane' as a spring. Make sure this isn't bad, although they can be repaired.

The '89-91 versions have larger side bolsters that can be cut down, the '92-96 versions have taller backs and integrated headrests.

27. X-cpe

X-cpe

The only problem with Fiero seats is they are made to seat you on the floor. If you mount them higher I found the side bolsters roll your knees together.

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Add a bomber seat high back and canned ham [butt] you'd have!

29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

X2 ^^^ I got a pair for my Crosley.

Blues4U and Mario p herrera like this.
  30. Mario p herrera

Mario p herrera

Thank you very informative