Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Headers for ‘56 Chevy pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bogart62, Apr 15, 2021.

1. bogart62

bogart62

Hello H.A.M.B.
    been awhile for me but thought someone has done this so here goes. I bought a 56 Chevy pickup. Nice build but needs to be finished. It has a Camarillo subframe, 454, and mid length Hedman headers. How do you get the exhaust pipe up high? Right now as connected to the reducer the pipe bends down before it can level out.
    Special mandrel bend? Trying to avoid long tube headers. Plus, wouldn’t know what to purchase anyway. Any input would be welcome. Thanks, Kent.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

rc57 likes this.
  2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

On my uncles 57 we used camaro big block headers. They were hedmen, and exited closer to the floor. The reason we did that is that he had the same subframe in it when he bought the truck.

bogart62 and squirrel like this.
  3. I also used the Camaro headers on my old 58 with subframe, worked out great.

bogart62 likes this.
  4. bogart62

bogart62

Thanks. I’ll look into the Camaro bbc headers. Still would like to see what I can do to the mid length headers on the truck now. Thanks guys

5. squirrel

squirrel

if you point the camera up under the truck so we can see the headers, we might could give you some suggestions that you might find helpful.

But I'll echo the idea to use full length headers that are designed to fit the frame the engine is sitting in, I had a pair on the BBC mocked up in my 57 Suburban, before I switched to a small block. They fit good.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a small block in my 48 when I had the 68 Rear steer subframe in it and was running a set of designed for a Camaro headers. They were they belonged.

On my 71 GMC the headers hung down a long ways, Patriot headers designed for a 71 Chevy/GMC pickup.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That makes me wonder if you have truck headers if yours hang down quite a bit.

7. bogart62

bogart62

Thanks. I’ll post a pic today of the header reducer to exhaust.

8. rc57

rc57

Camaro BBC headers too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bogart62

bogart62

Nice. Do you know the brand of the headers? Meanwhile, here are a few pics of my current setup. They are Hedman headers. Think they are mid length. 1-3/4 tubes 3” collectors. I’d like to keep them if there’s a way to transition from the reducer to the exhaust pipe without such a drop. Thanks all.
    Kent[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. squirrel

squirrel

just get a mandrel U bend, cut it off at the right place, weld it to a flange. The setup you have is typical exhaust shop work, not hot rod fabricator work, so of course it's ugly and doesn't fit right.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@rc57: Excellent pic with the tape depicting frame height from ground, also exhaust height.*

My stainless block hugging headers (FE Ford 390) came with curved transducers, and sliding collars. This means they can be turned in any direction. I think Summit (or Jegs or Speedway) has these in stock. They are 3" at the flange, and reduce to 2", curve about 30 degrees.
    Hope this helps.

12. bogart62

bogart62

I agree it's ugly. Bought it that way. Mandrel bend may be the ticket. Looking to drop the front end a bit and don't want to have any issues with it getting lower. Thanks.

13. bogart62

bogart62

I'll do some searching on that option too. Thanks Mike

14. rc57

rc57

Got them off ebay a few years back, I wanna say they are DynoMax 70-81 Camaro w/BBC.
    I can dic for the receipt if need be.

15. I agree with getting a mandrel bent U-bend and a couple of header collector reducers.
    Then you just sneak up on the fit, trimming them to where you like it, here's the ones I did on my 41 pickup.

20210416_132552.jpg 20210416_132501.jpg

16. bogart62

bogart62

Looks great. Just what I’m looking for. Thanks for posting!

swade41 likes this.