Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford Fiberglass Bodies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Apr 10, 2021.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Been thinking for a long time about getting a 32 three window coupe body. Really would like to get a Brookville, but lately have been considering just getting a fiberglass body and using steel fenders etc. I'm interested in which bodies (coupe or roadster) bodies others have bought and your level of satisfaction with the choice you made. Any long term problems with it, or any regrets?

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Give Newage Motor Sports a call. 293-268-1999. They're famous for their 5 window coupes but they did make a nice 3 window body at one time.

seadog, ekimneirbo and Nicholas Coe like this.
  3. TCATTC

TCATTC

1319.jpg
    You can't beat these guys

da34guy, ekimneirbo and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

《《《《《《《《
    Wescott bodies have always been considered the gold standard for quality and accuracy to original, they were not only one of the pioneers in fiberglass bodies but also the first to use a steel inner structure.
    20181209_235305.jpg

missysdad1, D-Russ, deucemac and 3 others like this.

5. Over the years I have had two Gibbon fiberglass bodies and a Westcott body, the later was a better made body and when painted, most Ford guys thought it was original because of the cowl vent and exposed hinges.

There are 2 guys in our club that own BeBops '32 3 windows and the seem to be well made body's.

I still prefer the Westcott the options. HRP

Outback, deucemac, TCATTC and 2 others like this.
  6. GeeRam

GeeRam

Wescott prices are almost as much a steel Brookville one.

Tman, Dan Hay, Butler 32 and 4 others like this.
  7. oldolds

oldolds

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Wescott 3 window body is 19,500 before you start adding the extras to the list. I'd agree that they are probably the best fiberglass bodies out there though. A friend had one of their 34 touring bodies since the mid 70's and that car always looked great even 30 or more years later. Black car that didn't show any stress marks in the paint years later.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  10. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

#1 is getting a 1932 title and not a 2021 SCV. Have you figured that out?
    #2 is huge difference in resale value. Do you plan to keep it forever no matter what?

D-Russ likes this.
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Been a Brookville 3 window body with fender package for sale on here for 25,000. So far no takers. Swanwaco on here almost always has Brookville factory built 32 roadster bodies for sale for 9500 There's some steel bodies available if your a serious buyer.

Nicholas Coe and ekimneirbo like this.
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'll go out on a limb and recommend a local Ozzie product by C&W Components, most likely not be readily available over there. The bodies would be one the most superior [composite] bodies on the market today and strong! Deuce Customs here used to be the benchmark however C&W have taken things to the next level

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  13. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

My previous 3 Window was a Redneck unchopped. Really great body and strong. Think they may have been bought out but they still advertise.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  14. I called Newage last summer and was told the wait was at least a year. Us old guys have to wonder if we'll still be alive. :)

15. deucemac

deucemac

Steel-Brookville, Fiberglass-Wescott. Quality doesn't come cheap, or as an old friend of mine used to say, pay peanuts-get monkeys. I have 16 years on my Wescott and yes it was spendy. The guy that set up my chassis had a Wescott bodied 32 roadster also. He wanted some slight mods done and found a glass guy who worked on only NCRS Corvettes. After some arm twisting, he came to the shop to "inspect" this lesser item. He spent quite a while looking over the body very seriously. When done, he asked who made this body. My friend replied that Wescott in Oregon built. Then the Corvette snob surprised both of us by saying that on a scale of 1 to 10, the best Corvette he ever saw would be a 4 compared to the Wescott which he rated a 10! Then he proceeded to show us in minute detail why that was. Different cloth used in different location for strength and durability. Of course, we were like monkeys looking at the back of a watch, but we both went away from that encounter feeling that the money we both had spent was well worth it.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

With the quality and price of tin going up daily , I see no reason not to buy a glass body to enjoy the hobby with . But it’s like what has been stated , you get what you pay for . I’m a more traditional person , steel is real . I have seen many an argument over the glass car titled and sold as a 32 Ford . My way of thinking this is wrong , this is not a 32 Ford , but a model of what ever year it was built , of a 32 Ford . Just my 2 cents that isn’t worth a 1/2 cent today . Good luck with your choice , build it safe and enjoy this hobby .

Desoto291Hemi and ekimneirbo like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

19. Weigh less? Mmm, that depends on who built it and how.

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30tudor, 32SEDAN and Moriarity like this.
  21. BJR

BJR

A fiberglass Ford body makes as much sense as a metal reproduction Corvette body!:eek:

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ohhh, i'll take one!

BJR and hotrodjack33 like this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You sure know how to open up a scab!;)
    I worked with a guy that was an absolute contrarian on just about any subject, I know, a big word, Google it.
    Now mind you, this was long before the internet so I don't know where he came up with some of the crap he would spew.
    Anyhoo, one day at lunch after having my fill of the normal drivel about bow hunting, duck hunting, fishing, boating, blah, blah, blah I mentioned something about Corvettes.
    Bam!!! I never knew the guy even knew what a Corvette was, but apparently Chevrolet built the first Corvette out of steel, huh, who knew!
    No, I never Googled it either.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Bandit Billy, BJR and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  24. hudson48

hudson48

I used Show Me Rod and Custom for the roadster body and that was back in 2011 when it was purchased. I was at Springfield MO NSRA Nats in 2019 and they had a stand there. I didn't recognise the guy manning the stand. Turns out he was the original owner of the business and sold it to the guy I purchased my body from. He was a short distance outside Branson then.
    Since then the old owner bought the business back as he was getting bad vibes about quality although we didn't have any real problems. I think that is a good sign that he thought enough about reputation to get it back. He does a 32 3 window too. Now based just outside of Sprignfield MO.
    https://www.showmerodandcustom.com/

ekimneirbo likes this.
  25. The XP-64 had a magnesium body, so if someone reproduces one of those i'll take one... I don't wanna pay for it though.

26. Squablow

Squablow

I've seen some pretty decent, finished driving fiberglass coupes for what the Wescott body costs. You might look into that. Even if you repaint it and change out a bunch of stuff to suit your liking, it might be way cheaper and easier to buy someone's finished car and just redo it the way you want it. Plus they'd already have the title figured out.

ekimneirbo and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A Trio Of Knockout Deuce Coupes With Traditional Flavor.
    "Each of these coupes is fiberglass bodied, and each displays an up-to-date interpretation of vintage hot rod style—each in a different way. The idea behind profiling them together is to show you distinct approaches to building a Deuce coupe, possibly inspire you to start (or finish) a project of your own, or at the very least, to show you a few cool '32 coupes that made an impression on us".

From here:
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1932-ford-coupe-3w-3-pack/

Rramjet1 and ekimneirbo like this.
  28. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a Brookville bodied 30-31 Model A Roadster and now have a Wescott bodied 32 3-window Coupe (chopped top version). The Wescott, to me, seems like a higher quality body. Getting the Coupe registered as a 32 Ford took the previous owner/builder a lot of time and effort. It was tricky to do.

29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'm in Ky, so I'm hoping to find something within a 500 mile range. Showme and BeBop fit that need. I looked at the steel Brookville the guy advertises on here, but he is in Texas, so 1k+ miles away. Brookville will be at the Nationals and they are within a couple hundred miles from me. The picture of the Texas coupe, the door looks kinda odd. I'm wondering if it was a factory assembled cab. Anyway I think the cost to go that far would offset any savings. I doubt that I will end up with a steel body, so whatever I do get has to be a decent one. There is a guy in Ga that sells a lot of them, but I don't think the quality is there. Hopefully I can talk to some people at the Nationals.........Just over 3 months:)

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can proudly say my roadster body is Made In Oregon.
    Wescott Auto Restyling is about a half hour drive from my place, drove out there on a Saturday morning and founder Dee Wescott loaded my roadster body on my pals' dump bed pickup with a forklift, was back home in time for lunch.
    RIP Dee.
    Some history here:
    https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Dee_Wescott

Algoma56 likes this.