Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Official B Altered Truck Restoration Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VA HAMB, Dec 15, 2009.

1. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Nope his name is Jim Morris. Not sure why the original painter did that but he did, so it had to go back. It hurt me to do it! LOL!

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

I remember your Throw-Back pictures from a bunch of years back.... great memories ... man I love how you have saved this Altered.

So, what's inside the engine? Just like it was when you found it or ???

3. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

The engine was in pieces but it was all there. I had a good virgin block that had been stored in an oil drum. I just honed the cylinders and stuck the high dome Jahns pistons back in it. Put a new set of stock mains in it and it actually went back together great. Now how it will run or how long it will last who knows! LOL! I went through the heads and cleaned them and re lapped the valves. Everything looked really nice. It has the original Isky cam and roller valve train in it. I had to replace the pressure plate and was lucky and found an exact copy of it new in the box on Ebay. I had the aluminum fly wheel reground but it was in bad shape. If I ever decide to take this thing out and rip on it some that will have to be replaced. I even have the original Isky cam tag and all the original paper work from the Injecrion and even paper work from the piston rings he used. This thing is deffinately a time capsule!

4. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Didn't do a whole lot yesterday. I got the winshield in. Just a cut piece of Lexan. I also got the starter in. It never had one but I don't want to have to push it everytime I need to start it. I went with a high torque Powermaster.

I want to just jump to it to start it. I don't want to have a battery and a bunch of wires and cables in the truck taking away from the originality. Any advice on the best way to set that up?? I 'd like to have some posts mounted to the frame and just jump with cables from another battery or maybe a jump box? Not sure if that'd work? IMG_20210318_221300008_HDR.jpg

Stogy, bchctybob, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm so glad to see that you followed through. Well done, sir.

loudbang and VA HAMB like this.
  6. greybeard360

greybeard360

You may find it hard at times to find someone willing to follow you around the pits dragging a battery on a cart. A battery mounted in the bed would be a good thing.

Stogy, das858, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

You can use SB connectors like they have on electric forklifts. That’s where they plug in for charging. I agree a battery would be better. Trust me, the tracks are not conducive to early drag cars anymore. They tend to get testy if you have to pull a car or push one to the line before firing it.

Stogy, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  8. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

I won't be racing this thing. It wouldn't pass inspection anyway . If anything some "fun" passes at the local drag reuinions. Not to mention i don't fit in it anyway! :)

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

You gotta make some passes. You'll fit. If my big old hillbilly self will fit in a Model A sedan that's chopped 6", you'll make it.

10. Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  11. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  12. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Not much new to report. Still waiting on fuel lines to come in. I did get the winshield in and the new shop rag/ duct tape shifter knob installed. I also got the rear wheels painted and cleaned up. I have the front tires removed and have started on the front rims. they were'nt in such good shape as they were always on the truck. The rear wheels had been removed and were stored in a safer place. so they were still in good shape.

I got a call from the guy who had bought the truck from Jim Morris. He said he bought it in the very early 70's and sold it about 20 or so years ago. He found some of the original paper work from Hilborn and gave it to me. He was excited to find out someone had gotten it and saved it.

IMG_20210320_151446094.jpg IMG_20210321_192636679_HDR.jpg

Stogy, bchctybob, Chucky and 8 others like this.
  13. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Had a little work on one of the fronts.

IMG_20210319_152833550_HDR.jpg IMG_20210319_174301985_HDR.jpg

14. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Not a whole lot to report.

I did get the sewing machine out and covered the back of the seat, so that's done. I will most likely take it back out and cut an inch or two off the bottom. It's a little long.

Tim came over and helped me put one of the headers on. I left the passenger side off due to the need of getting into the cab to finish up the gas pedal. The doors don't open too wide with the headers on. Still waiting on some Alkydigger goodies to come in so I can get some fuel going to this thing and see what happens. Hopefully something will happen. Something good that is! :)

IMG_20210325_205546758.jpg IMG_20210326_205538467.jpg IMG_20210328_113333322.jpg

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

How wide are the rear wheels Todd?
    Are they home-made?
    I love that truck

16. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Yeah, jim made all the wheels. the rears are about 9" x15. The tires are 10.00/15

Stogy, bchctybob, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  17. 1low52

1low52

Still holding air?

Stogy, loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Yep, haven't checked the pressure but doesn't look like it has changed at all! :) Fuel Lines coming in today so hopefully it'll be fire up time soon! Get your ear plugs ready! :) !

19. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Not much to report. been waiting on parts. I did get the starter on and wired up last night. I used the the bungs that 61 cad had suggested. Works great. I got the oli pressure up and was getting spark so now all I need is gas and see what happens. As soon as my vally pan comes in (today) I can get the injection back on and set up. Wish me luck. I am not going to be satisfied until this thing moves again on it's own! ***side note-- when the cap is off of the Magneto try not to spin it when you have your hand around the top of it. It'll get cha! :)

IMG_20210402_193334000_HDR.jpg IMG_20210402_193339674_HDR.jpg

20. racerben

racerben

Looks great. Nice to see that you took the time to preserve a piece of racing history.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. catdad49

catdad49

Mag.....nificent, Hope to Hear it soon!

22. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Well I struggled at first to get this thing to go. I couldn't prim the engine well enough by myself to get it to spin fast enough for the pump to pull the fuel up to it. So,I put some slight air pressure in the tank to push the fuel up, and Wham!

23. WOW that's soo Cool Todd!!! Looks and sounds great. You got to be happier than a tornado in a trailer court. lol You did a great job on it. First finding, and buying it. Then restoring it back to the way it was. Not an over restoration. But just the way Jim had built it. Congratulations on the build. Now let the Fun begin! :) Ron.......

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  24. Such a great project!

25. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Thanks Ronnie! Next move is to see if it WILL move! :) I'm sure it will. Want to get it over to a large parking lot and get in it and move it. I will NOT be satisfied until this thing moves under it's own power again. THEN... I will feel like I did something!

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Todd it sounds great, glad to see you got it running. Jack Merkel on his 39 Willys B/GS had a small electric fuel pump to prime the injectors on his car. After carrying a squirt bottle of fuel and jerking around priming the injectors, I bought a small 3psi pump and it's been a game changer. You might want to consider it.

Pat

27. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Congratulations!!!
    $ound's Fantastic.... Cheer's

loudbang likes this.
  28. AHotRod

AHotRod

It's ALIVE !
    Totally awesome Todd !
    Holy Cow Bat Man !
    History has made it full circle because of your passion, desire, skills and dedication.
    Congratulations!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. Thats awsome! Hopefully a burnout video will follow.

loudbang likes this.
  30. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Thanks Pat. I never installed a battery in this thing. I guess i could eventually under the bed somewhere. I started it again yesterday evening and just gave it a small puff of air in the tank and she started up again with out primimg and I had drained the system after the last start up so I'm pretty sure I have a system down now. Unfortunately I will need somone to help me because i will need to be in the truck. it takes me five minutes to get in the darn thing! LOL! :)