Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question for Aussie's & Kiwi's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 15, 2021.

1. I have always been under the impression that both country's require fenders and see a lot of highboy's running cycle type fender's but every now and then I see a thread where there are a few cars that don't have any sign of fenders and are out on the highway & main roads.

Do some of the Providences or towns not enforce the laws and just look the other way? HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I've seen this addressed here in one of their threads. Different laws in different provinces/states, and also some people are just more willing than others to flout the regulations. We are hoodlums, after all.

3. midroad

midroad

In every state in Australia we have to run some sort of fender. Called mudguards here, the law will probably never change. A lot of us have taken the chance and got away with it. I ran the T in my avatar for a long time with out fenders but when I put them on I actually liked the look better.

4. @midroad when you say some sort of mud guard (fender)

as long as it appears or resembles said body part?

I know up here when the pro street / pro stock look was the rage in the 90’s basically as long as all your external lights worked , had something that resembled a muffler and a parking brake of some kind your car was “street legal”.

lots of stuff that was an all out drag car would be cruising the streets on a Friday night barfing coolant and rattling windows on storefronts !!:p

bchctybob, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. Mimilan

Mimilan

In NZ if you are a member of a Hotrod club, you can apply for a fender exemption.
    A far better approach than stupid cycle fenders.

Our seat-belt laws are tougher!

All major modifications [engine swaps etc] or custom built cars [T buckets etc] must pass a low volume inspection and a compliance plate is riveted on the body/frame
    Even our 57 needed one for seat belt anchor points [because they are not factory fitted]

It may seem harsh, but must inspections are done by certified "hot-rodders" [they only want to keep the standards and quality safe]

Lepus, Okie Pete, Special Ed and 4 others like this.
  6. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I don't play too often with the Aussie hotrod registration process, but do play quite often with the process for modifying HAMB-compliant customs (40's-60's unibody cars). The Aussie rules for those are just as bad as the NZ seatbelt requirements. Most Australian states have implemented some form of the National Code of Practice (NCOP). Increase power by more than 20%, and most engineers then require the mandatory NCOP "safety upgrades":
    • Seatbelts must be installed for all seating positions (all outboard seating positions require retractor type lap/sash seatbelts and inboard seating positions either lap/sash or lap belts),
    • Split or dual braking system.
    • Windscreen washers must be fitted.
    • Two speed windscreen wipers with a fast speed of at least 45 cycles per minute and a slow speed of at least 20 cycles per minute must be fitted.
    • A windscreen demister must be fitted.
    • A flat or convex external rear vision mirror complying with the latest version of ADR14 must be fitted to the driver’s side of the vehicle.
    • Flashing direction indicator lights must be fitted at the front and rear of the vehicle.
    • The engineer signatory may specify a higher tyre speed rating than the original specifications and the fitting of an additional tyre placard indicating the minimum tyre requirements. The load rating of tyres must not be reduced from that specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
    • A collapsible steering column must be fitted.

The engineers then start adding their own requirements to the list... requirements for ventilated disc brakes are common, as are brake circuit failure lights. Some are more picky than others. We still get a few "shop window rattlers", but not overly many.

The rules apply even if I want to swap out a Holden 138ci "grey" I6 (HP, 751948-1963) for the later 186ci "red" I6 (120HP, 1963-1979). This is a typical swap for cars like my avatar. Sadly, if I decide the 120HP red engine is a bad choice and instead put in a 400HP SBC (which I did:)), the same rules apply.

Cheers,
    Harv

3W JOHN, bowlingball, Spoggie and 3 others like this.
  7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I have seen some photo's where the flat motorcycle fenders have been used and the cars look good.
    I saw one where the fenders were painted black and they they were almost invisible.

I'm playing around with them on my new car.

8. John's new ride. HRP

[​IMG]

9. This law I struggle to understand over here....o_O

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The fender exemption proposal has been flogged to death down here in all jurisdictions, rodders and the technical advisory committees have tried infinitum with the registration authorities to no avail. The regulators have literally drawn a line in the sand and indicated, DON'T KEEP ASKING, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
    In saying that I've seen many cars with and without. Some fenders don't even meet the legislative criteria.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  11. Australian states vary widely with their laws, which makes inter-state sales interesting or sometimes impossible, as the vehicle has to comply with the relevant state it is going to be registered in. Finished cars rarely cross borders and go straight to registration, there are always a few little bullshit things to be done before they "comply". Some things are not so little, and can require major re-work to keep them happy. Some states require an engineer's report if you blow your nose, others have a "keep within the guidelines and no-one will give a hoot" approach, but all have a "must run guards" policy. All hot rods must have guards at the time of final inspection, but some people are so happy that their car has passed muster, that they get a little over-zealous on the loud pedal on their way home, and their guards fly off.

12. Mimilan

Mimilan

The fender laws were put in place because of large trucks affecting visibility in the rain.
    The NZHRA petitioned the govt for exemptions.[The idea is to not penalize legitimate enthusiasts]
    By being a member of a NZHRA club you qualify in this category.

Otherwise logging trucks would apply for an exemption.

You can also circumvent our seatbelt, frontal impact, safety glass laws if you are a member of a Motorsport NZ club and hold a competition licence.
    Otherwise all rally cars in NZ wouldn't be allowed to drive on our roads between stages.

Our laws are great.........but we have to jump through the hoops.
    We have a lot of freedom here as long as we don't endanger other people .So we have checks put in place for that.

If you think our safety laws are a P.I.T.A do a search on the HAMB for all the disc brake conversion nightmares here.

On a side note: when I imported our 57 chevy, it had old "dry rotted" tyres [with almost original tread] and it blew the LH front brake hose when we backed it off the trailer. [luckily we trailered it home instead of driving it]
    upload_2021-4-16_17-23-21.png
    The brake shoes were original thickness, but were crumbling from 60 years of seasonal heat cycles
    upload_2021-4-16_17-25-34.png
    In NZ those parts would have been picked up in our WOF safety inspections 30 years ago.
    It only cost about NZD $300 to replace all the shoes, hoses, hard lines, wheel cylinders and MC

I don't complain about our safety inspections, but I certainly would if an illegal/dangerous POS hit our car

13. twenty8

twenty8

Here's a great example. Would look just as good with rears as well................

[​IMG]

3W JOHN, bowlingball and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. You mean that swap :cool: is,nt on the national heritage list :eek::rolleyes: and thus exempt ? Guess the 149ci red & 179ci red fall into the same category or can,t they be found anymore ?

btw, i remember when hanging the elbow out the drivers window was banned o_O in i think the early 70s. Cops were busy with fines all day long :rolleyes:

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. 97

Ha , but you always were an outlaw ! Queen St cruiser, Beaumont Street racer even before we had these rules. :D
    We didn't like the rules then and I still don't like them any more than you do.
    However some concessions had to be made to allow us to make modifications , in fact to be allowed to build any hot rods at all .
    The fender exemtions are issued by the New Zealkand Hot Rod Association /NZHRA
    The law as it stands says you have to have been a member of a Hot Rod club for at least a year, and remain so as long as you want/need a fender exemption.
    It only applies to vehicles weighing 2800lbs (1318kg) and up to and including 1934 as year of production, although there has recently been some effort to extend the year .

The requirement to be a hot rod club member was one of the concessions made to the MOT/LTSA and because the then president of the Hot Rod Association , Tony Johnson took it upon himself to lobby the transport authority, and organise the whole system whereby hotrodders could control the outcome for themselves. He wrote the original manual and the new existing one, and still remains the CEO at LVVTA.
    The system was originally only for hot rods, and was under the auspices of NZHRA, but became LVVTA in 1998 and nearly 30 years later it which represents 10 groups who have reason to modify vehicles .
    You can find the whole story at www.LVVTA.co.nz. and/or NZHRA.co.nz.

GasserTodd, 3W JOHN, clem and 3 others like this.
  16. 97

Not really the because of the heavy trucks , that was something which was quoted by hotrodders , saying that the trucks were worse than any cars etc etc ,when fenders were demanded by MOT. It received a lot of coverage in NZ Hot Rod Magazine. Once the Low Volume law was in process the authorities set the fender exemptions limitations by membership, car weight and year to allow traditional fenderless hotrods to be exempted. It is still quite a narrow exemption and is the only part of the Low Volume law still administered by the NZHRA.
    The laws were all some Australian's fault, :( somebody who worked at the Aussie Design rules (ADRS) came to work at MOT in NZ and was in the process of having nearly all of the NEW ADRs implemented in New Zealand, but quick and timely action by Tony Johnson then president of NZHRA and editor of the NZ Hot Rod magazine got our foot in the door before anything was enacted ..Had the new laws been approved and passed I doubt we would have ever been able to have them rescinded.

17. spanners

spanners

Hey Harv. I asked the engineer about putting a 2250 (138 cu.in) red into my FJ ute. Still needed engineer sign off because it would increase the available H.P.

18. clem

clem

yep, and if you have a genuine interest in fenderless hot rods, yet choose ‘not’ to belong to a hot rod club, - you are discriminated against, and not allowed to run fenderless.

I believe, - although I may be wrong, that you also have to attend so many ( 5 ? ) events per annum that are sanctioned by a governing body. - maybe others could comment.

ironically, absurdly, stupidly, - it has nothing to do with safety.........

so my best option is to run the ‘stupid’ cycle fenders......

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    3W JOHN, kadillackid and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. 97

SO sorry sir they fell off on my way here!

Tman, 3W JOHN, kadillackid and 2 others like this.
  20. Mimilan

Mimilan

While the average Kiwi spends $100 week on Booze, it would be quite easy to spend $50-80 on an annual Hotrod club membership to get a fender exemption.
    Whether the member actually participates in any club activities is up to them.

Or as you stated.....run those "stupid" cycle fenders [The automotive equivalent of a padded bra]

Read this...............
    https://hotrod.org.nz/fender-exemptions-explained

(Quote) [from the link]
    We have a system that allows us to build and drive traditional hot rods - with few restrictions of use. Be happy with the few small inconveniences, or accept the alternative - no fender exemption system at all. Support NZHRA's efforts and work with them, not against them, so that we can all enjoy this privilege - let me emphasise that word 'privilege' (because if you think driving a fenderless hot rod in 21st century New Zealand is a 'right', then you belong in the dark ages) - for many years to come.

Tony Johnson LVVTA
    (Quote)

Personally I think the system is great....... After many years playing with cars ,I have noticed it is the losers and hanger-ons that are the biggest trouble makers.
    They are the ones that drive hacked P.O.S , and they are the ones that do burnouts on public roads, or leave trash on the ground etc.[they ruin it for everyone else]

The die-hard dedicated gearheads have paid their dues. They build better quality cars to a higher standard. They have more $$$ invested in their builds and want to protect their hobby.
    They will accept the inconveniences of jumping through hoops to get the end result.

It is a good way to separate the die-hards from the hanger-ons.

The low volume modification certification process is also great.........all you need to do is build a car to a minimum standard and get it certified.
    Then after the car is certified , you then have every legal right to use it on our roads.
    Prior to this, you were a victim of some "redneck cop's" interpretation [or misinterpretation] of the law.

GasserTodd, 97, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  21. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

So many grey motors were replaced with red motors in the 60/70/80s that you’d almost think it was a factory option. Still plenty of low-cube red motors around, but most people reckon that if I have to jump through the engineering hoops then I may as well use the larger 186 or 202. Funny, if the motor was swapped in the 60/70/80s and the car has had continuous rego, then most states allow it to be grandfathered - no engineering. Makes me cry every time one of those grandfathered cars is allow to run out of rego.

I hear you.

Non-factory diff or gearbox? Needs engineering.
    More than 20% extra grunt? Needs engineering.
    Play with the brakes? Full skid pan test, including testing with each brake circuit isolated.

When I did my EK wagon (avatar), the NCOP rules would only allow for a 342 cube engine. Surely, surely that is close enough to 350? Nope. Anything over 340 cubes and the car had to have a full beam torsional rigidity test. $2000 worth of test, and with a monocoque rear subframe not likely to pass. Sad day destroking the 350 to 327

cheers,
    Harv

22. I struggle to spend that on my car, let alone booze :(

23. While we’re on the fender subject, I’ve noticed over the years a number of your hot rods use ones with a rib down the center much like the ‘36 Ford spare tire cover. There can’t be that many ‘36 Fords to rob down under so I have to ask, does someone down there reproduce those? Are they steel?

24. twenty8

twenty8

You guys forgot to factor in the smokes and the pokies. How the hell is that going to leave $2 a week to cover club membership ??????????? :confused::confused::confused:
    Strange world we live in, hey...........

25. Gofannon

Gofannon

Screw Fenders, I'm running Vox!

[​IMG]

Dedsoto, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. Mimilan

Mimilan

What about the druggies? [don't forget them]

Haven't you ever noticed when you have a nice possession [of any sort] that some gambling, drunk, chain smoking, stoner will claim you are lucky!

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and twenty8 like this.
  27. hudson48

hudson48

I think on some cars the no fenders look great like salt style roadster and coupes. I like the fenders on my roadster as it fits the theme I was going for ie East Coast 50/60's style.They are reproduction
    spare tyre style fibreglass on the front and made up ones in the rear with the centre rib put in. 2U3A6611 (Medium).jpg

Nominal, j hansen, Okie Pete and 12 others like this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That gold roadster is one fine looking ride. The fenders do fit the theme.

29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, that's ANOTHER reason I like them folks "down under":D

rat bastad, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. That's a great looking roadster and the fenders real work with the style. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.