Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Navarro Flat Head Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Apr 14, 2021.

1. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Wanting to build a flat head V8 Ford for my A. With 3 Holley 94's, Navarro tri intake and heads, headers, Isky 3/4 race cam and a Mallory distributor. What kinda power could I get? Stock size valves and no relief. Its a street and strip build. More street.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About a 40hp gain to the rear tires more if you add compression with pistons.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add a supercharger to that list.

fauj likes this.
  4. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

What do I expect to gain with a 4-71 and two 97's? Blower cam and Navarro blower heads?

fauj and Bandit Billy like this.

5. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

About the same as a plain-vanilla 265 and one 2gc. 8^) Jack E/NJ

Budget36, Tman and TheSteamDoc like this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, compression and improved "quench" are both obtained by reworking the heads rather than changing pistons as is done with OHV engines. One should try to obtain around .050" over the piston in the combustion chamber. This is usually done by measuring the existing clearance over the piston using clay or foil balls, milling the heads to get a nominal .050", and then using a die grinder to clean up any spots with less than minimum clearance.

This is probably the best thing to do to improve both performance and economy. Unless you are planning on an increase in displacement, three carbs may be too much.

I also think that 40 hp at the rear wheels is a little optimistic for what you are planning.

fauj likes this.
  7. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I do plan on porting the block as well. 030 over flat tops.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Flat tops? Are you building a 21 stud?

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're going to bore it and buy new pistons, why don't you go .125" over? It's a safe overbore (at least for 59's and 8BA's and will give you and engine of 258 ci (3 bigger than the vaunted Merc crank). The pistons and rings should cost just about the same as .030" over.

And "flat tops"? You have been talking to too many OHV guys.

TheSteamDoc likes this.
  10. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Domed pistons. Would it be ok with Navarro blower heads? Also, who offers a nice period correct 4-71 kit with the multi belt and gen relocation bracket?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whoa! Now we're talkin' a whole different ball game.:eek:

I was under the mistaken impression that this was gonna be kind of a low buck build. This is how to make power with a flathead, though.:)

12. Fordors

Fordors

I don’t know how much power you might gain but I’d say those changes will run you about $7500 +.

fauj and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out the book "Blown Flathead" by Joe Abbin. He made 335 hp with one.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, you can make north of 300 hp if you follow Joe's ^^^^ recipe like @tubman said above. I can personally vouch for it and yes, I put my money where my mouth is. I bored .125 and went 8:1 CR, pruned 471, a ton of porting and 3 97's on a 8BA. I have posted the dyno pulls before, I'll have to look for them on my thread history. Like Joe, i made my dyno pulls with a 4 barrel Holley on the blower, I changed to progressive 97's afterward.

Better make sure there is around $15,000 in your bank account. That way you will only have to charge a couple thousand on your credit card.

15. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You can expect 120 to 130 hp at the flywheel with what you quoted for parts.
    Flat top pistons are for all out naturally aspirated race engines. They require special heads with no dome.