Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mopar finned alternator on a SBC??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotdamn, Apr 14, 2021.

1. hotdamn

hotdamn

Hey guys whose ran a mopar finned 1 wire alternator on a sbc??

I’m thinking about putting one in my coupe. I figure if I’m gonna run an alternator it might as well look good right?

any spacing issues regarding mounts or pullys?

any first hand knowledge is super appreciated.

Thanks!!!
    Delton

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Anybody??

@hotdamn Got any pics of the alternator?

Ray

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

the Email ones? or?

4. Budget36

Budget36

I have one on an old forklift my dad converted years back, I’ll put it along side a 10si I have, I seem to think they are thinner than the Delco alternator.
    But you’re right, it does look nicer to the eye.

5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I have the 10D.N. alternator but had the builder polish the aluminum case. I think it looks so nice..

engine passenger side.JPG

6. squirrel

squirrel

should be fun, the lower mounting "ear" is the opposite of what it needs to be. But I'm sure you can figure out something.

And the voltage regulation system is different, be sure to find an old NOS or NORS Mopar voltage regulator, with an actual relay inside, for the full effect. And beware that you want stuff from a 1960s Mopar, with the single wire regulator, not the later two wire (electronic) regulator, or it will look wrong.

delco.jpg mopar.jpg

7. Well here’s a GM one wire on a mopsr
    D06F3086-640E-4F24-8BA3-6E8657C85DD9.png

Deuces and hotdamn like this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ll be using one on the ‘56 Olds engine in my ‘28 roadster but I’m not there yet. Can any of the Mopar guys tell me what year and model had a single groove pulley and what amp ratings they came in? I have one with a two groove pulley but I think it’s just a 35 amp.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. I don't have one on a SBC......
    but I do have the chrome casing shells hoarded for the day when I will have one on my SBC. :oops:

DSCN1997 (2).JPG

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  10. lake_harley

lake_harley

I have no input on which Mopar alternator will work the best, but I agree they are nicer looking. By comparison the GM alternator looks clunky while the finned Mopar unit is more artsy. Many years ago I used one on a 389 Pontiac in a '40 Ford Tudor I had (should have kept that car!!).

Lynn

11. hotdamn

hotdamn

So when you put it on the poncho engine did it line up oaky or did it require modification to fit?

12. squirrel

squirrel

Most of the 60s alternators that were not used with AC had a single groove pulley originally, but most replacement rebuilt alternators have a double groove, so they don't have to stock an extra part for the AC cars. The Mopar AC compressor generally used two belts, and shared with the alternator, so the AC alternators had double pulleys.

The chrome case pictured above is the later electronic regulated version, the 60s alternator did not have the big square thing for the diodes, and looks nicer.

70s on the left, 60s on the right.

alternators.jpg

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are they narrower than a standard alternator? They look like it.

bchctybob likes this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

16. squirrel

squirrel

I like how they measure to the front of the shaft....quite a useless data point :) I think I'd have measured to the center of the rear groove in the pulley.

but nice pictures!

17. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I grabbed a Mopar regulator and an alternator at the junkyard in 1969. Then hung it on '58 283. Can't recall the deets except that there was no problem. Oh yeah, did it because of the fins.

hotdamn, bchctybob and Deuces like this.
  18. safetythird

safetythird

It's a scientific fact that anything both finned and Mopar is the pinnacle of automotive style.

wheeldog57, bchctybob and Deuces like this.
  19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To some of us, a standard alternator IS the Mopar alternator.;)

deathrowdave likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outside of early or late alternator and what regulator you use What mount you have on the engine is probably the main issue. With the ones with the long mounting bolt and spacer that goes behind the alternator you just have to figure out what length spacer (s) you need and make them . One to go between the ears and one to go between the back ear and the head or block or ? that it fastens to.
    I saw a couple that were swapped in the mid 60's but they weren't on hot rods. I think the guy who did the swaps was a mechanic in a Chrysler Plymouth garage who didn't drive a Mopar.

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

Whenever you put something like a generator or alternator on an engine other than the original application you can pretty much count on some bracket modification or fabrication being required. They are seldom a direct bolt-on. My 324 Olds had a huge Delco generator. I'm building a tribute to a hot rod from the early '60s so I'm trying to emulate what he did by using the Mopar alternator. It's a tight squeeze, I'll be building new brackets.
    IMG_E2056.JPG IMG_2109.JPG

Elcohaulic, Hot Rods Ta Hell and rod1 like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

Replacing a generator with the Mopar alternator is probably easier than replacing the GM alternator with the Mopar alternator....

Desoto291Hemi and bchctybob like this.
  23. lake_harley

lake_harley

It was 45-ish years ago so I don't recall details but I'm 99.99% sure I had to fabricate a bracket and tensioner arm. I may be wrong (it's been known to happen) but I think it barely fit in front of the head that is slightly staggered back on a V8 engine. I'm sure it looked stylish and very organic. :D

Lynn

hotdamn likes this.
  24. I think the Mopar is fairly close in depth ("narrower")..... maybe a whisker less. But the extra inch diameter plus the round corners give the illusion of being narrower.
    It's just my opinion, not a scientific fact. o_O

bchctybob likes this.
  25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I guess they look better , but I tossed the Mopar finned and replaced it with the old reliable 12 SI on my Cummins . I’m not to much for looks , I want what works day in and day for many years and a child can rebuild it at the North Pole . Just my 2 cents , that are only worth 1/3 cent today .

26. bchctybob

bchctybob

I ran a Mopar alternator and the funny little regulator on my BBC powered '33 5w way back in the late '60s. It came in a box with the parts to complete the car and being a bucks-down kid I just made it fit and it worked fine for many years. I'm just curious as to how many variants there were in the nicer looking 1960s units. Lower output in the Dart/Valiant models vs higher output in the larger Fury/Coronet/Charger??

27. squirrel

squirrel

looks like they ranged from 26 to 51 amps in 1968...

alt.jpg

57 Fargo likes this.
  28. hotdamn

hotdamn

Thanks so much for all the input guys!!! Grateful the hamb still rules ❤️❤️

Johnny Gee likes this.