Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Finding The Hirohata

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Finding The Hirohata

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. It was a huge story in our world when it was published.

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bitchin..... still amazes me how a guy could own such a historic car for so long and keep quiet about it....

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My kind of guy...

5. I didn't even know it was lost!
    Great story Ryan!
    I live for this kind of find!

6. That was the very Car that inspired me to buy my 50 Merc when I was a Sophomore in High School. That Merc was the New Hot Custom at that time. The other Merc customs being done at that time had my full attention but this one really Tipped me over. I had to build one for myself. How naive of me to think I could do that but I was in Lust. That car still inspires me and I still have my Old Merc. Lucky for it I never got out the Hacksaw back then. I have however done several practice runs on other cars to gain the Skills I didn't have at that time. I'm getting close but doubt at this time in my life I'll ever actually Cut my top. I have loved having my Merc all these years and maybe some time soon it will go back together for the 3rd time and slide down the road again. Till then life is just a Dream.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Very Cool - Thanks

54delray and David Robert Phelps like this.
  8. The story brings us another piece of history surrounding this historic kustom.
    Thanks, Ryan.

54delray and David Robert Phelps like this.
  9. Very kool story. After recently seeing the documentary about the car, this just adds to the story that much more. Thanks for sharing!

10. Before social media and internet, just keeping to oneself wouldn't be very difficult. I imagine Jim probably wasn't trying to keep it a secret, he just didn't mention his old custom at home in the garage.

54delray, drdave, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  11. To this day when I think of a true traditional Custom the Hirohata Mercury is what I envision, to me it is the Americas Most Beautiful Custom. HRP

54delray, OzMerc39, 48fordnut and 5 others like this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Same.

13. Curt Six

Curt Six

"To me, this is the kind of stuff this joint is all about." Couldn't agree more. Thanks for this. (And thanks for not posting your buddy's birthing pics.)

14. Wow! Now I'm curious as to what other cars were hiding under the car covers. Especially that "fad T" with slicks.

15. If you are a Hirohata Merc fan, I highly recommend picking up a Danbury Mint 1/24 scale version off of eBay. They are very nicely detailed, and can be had for around $200. I know that sounds like a lot for a model, but it's (IMO) the best custom ever built. I've got one, as well as a Kookie Car, McMullen Roadster, and California Kid. Cars we could only dream of owning.

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

according to the magazine articles written at the time the car was found, The T was a car that Jim Mcneil built himself in the sixties

17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If I remember correctly there was also a 28-29 roadster pickup sitting outside of the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Wow! Great read, Waiting for base to dry was perfect timing to read... Before started, put my feet up...
    Which is exactly the way the read start's..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    54delray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I always thought it would have been fun to just have got it running and drive it all over in original unrestored condition.... same with the Kookie car. could you imagine driving that car into a big show before it was known by the masses to even exist. now it looks just like the clone, a person with enough money could build 100 of them just like it.

20. I actually have always liked the Lime Gold version better

21. Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  22. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool read, Thanks for sharing it.

54delray and OzMerc39 like this.
  23. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

This is so COOOL!!!! Thanks

24. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A great story about a great custom automobile. Thanks for it. It's highly appreciated.

54delray, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Johnny99

Johnny99

Fun read, thank you. Certainly hope the car stays in the Peterson Museum for all to enjoy.

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  26. Video was great, I never saw it before, thanks HEMI 32!

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's a fantastic story Ryan on a fantastic car!

Too bad the clone wasn't painted as the Lime Gold version. Would really look cool to see them parked side by side. BTW, have the original and clone ever appeared together?

28. Personally i think kustom mercs peaked with this car. There are/were other nice ones but......

54 ford coupe and Thor1 like this.
  29. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Undoubtedly the best custom ever , it was a hard act to follow knowing you could never build the most wonderful custom ever you could only ever be second best