Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Model A heaven at Bill's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binderman01, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Binderman01

Binderman01

Growing up, mom was a photographer, I remember going to "Everhart's" junkyard just as I was getting the car bug. Mom would go and pick out parts of cars to use as props for people to get pictures with. The most memorable being a silver trans am hood with the "screaming eagle" and a old dodge van with the side painted with Mexican outlaws in the sunset, which she stole a door from. But the most memorable part, was Mr. Everhart. He seemed old then, wearing bibs, with a busch beer stuffed in the front pocket, and one in hand. He would show us all around, then took us to the garage to settle up. At the time they meant nothing, but inside the garage were 4 model A fords.

For years I've said I wanted to go back and visit and see what he still had stashed in the long closed down yard in the middle of nowhere, but I honestly didn't figure he was still alive. About a month ago I was telling this to a older man who used to work for my father ,when I was about the age we would've been pulling those parts, as he swings in occasionally to my repair shop to shoot the bull, he told me he was still alive as far as he knew, and would like to go back too. I told him to let me know and I'd join him.

He calls me a month or so later and says "hey I'm up here at bills, he says he has the wheels you've been looking for, for that 32"

He calls me today and says he's going back up there to buy a truck and to meet him, so I do, boy was I in a world of shock. Bill had aged, but he still had the bibs, and a busch beer in hand when I got there I wasn't able to grab many photos, but assured him I'd be back. Bill happily showed me around just like 20 years ago when I was a kid. He still has two A's, a coupe and a Fordor, he sold the other two completed ones he had. The wheels he thought he had that were 32 I bought, but am still not 100% sure they're correct. He had a TON of bent spoke 16s a handful of 28 chevy and a few whole sets of 21" A's. Multiple A motors and trannies, multiple banjo rears and wishbones, grill shells, bumpers, NOS fenders for what he says were a 29 truck from what he remembers, radiators, 28-31 speedometers were his favorite possession as well.

Here's the few photos I grabbed, if anyone wants to correct me on the wheels or on the fenders please feel free!

PXL_20210413_191400044.jpg PXL_20210413_191407466.jpg PXL_20210413_191425294.jpg PXL_20210413_191438183.jpg PXL_20210414_010900360.jpg PXL_20210413_191545113.jpg

2. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, the fenders are marked correctly. And those are 32 wheels if they are 18" (hard to tell in a pic).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  3. scotts52

scotts52

When you go back, see what all he might have for a 33/34 Dodge or Plymouth coupe. I need some stuff.

4. Binderman01

Binderman01

Definitely 18s, he had a full set of 17s as well.

Will pickup fenders work on anything else?

5. Binderman01

Binderman01

Unfortunately he has nothing but A parts, he sold all of his early chevy parts after rebuilding a few, said he never had any plymouth or dodge

6. lake_harley

lake_harley

Are there any nice '30/'31 Model A Coupe/Roadster rear fenders? I'd like to find a pair.

Not asking you to give away any well-guarded secrets but about where is this magical mecca of Model A parts located?

Lynn

7. alchemy

alchemy

The front fenders fit all models of those years, and the rears will interchange between pickup, coupe, and roadster.

Binderman01 likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice stuff, that is how things looked back in the 1960's when I got into the hobby. Bob

9. Binderman01

Binderman01

There's a set marked 30 sedan in the photo? They different? Not as nice as the 29, but still nice.

For him I won't disclose, he's not in great health, I'll just say southern Indiana.

10. lake_harley

lake_harley

I understand. Yes, 30 sedan rear fenders are different than coupe/roadster fenders so my search continues.

Thanks.

Lynn

11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I was a bit disappointed that we did not get a photo of Bill in his bibs with a cold snack in hand and a backup in his pocket. The word picture describes my great uncle Bill to perfection, and he owned a little salvage yard also.

warhorseracing likes this.